The Leica MP Index

asimrazakhan

<p>I'm sure many of you economists and business people have heard of the Big Mac Index. From my understanding, it is a list of prices for a basic Big Mac at Burger King around the world. It reflects the cost of living of that country. </p>

<p>So I thought I'd start a Leica MP index at this forum. Hopefully, people around the world can chime in and tell me how much a new Leica MP costs in their country.... or if you know the price of a new Leica MP in any other country, please do share.</p>

<p>This is actually my nifty way of figuring out where I should take my next holiday and buy a Leica MP as a side treat. I am currently living in Turkey for at least another year and a half.</p>

Five grand for a camera body? Yikes! Last year my hand was shaking when I handed over $850 for a clean M4-2 and if not for Mr. Kobayashi it would not be possible to get any lenses for it. (It would have been a bit overbuilt for a pinhole camera don't you think?) But for years I've wanted a Leica and, being near retirement it was my present to myself. I have a feeling there are a lot more Leica M owners like myself than in the MP price spectrum.

<p>Asim,<br>

Do yourself a favor: forget about the MP. It's ridiculously expensive for what it is. Get yourslf an M6 (TTL if you must) and have the viewfinder fixed for the flare problem. Believe me, that's all you need. And if you don't need a built-in lightmeter, go for a good M4. Or even an M2, which looks exactly like the MP, and is, forty years on, one heck of a camera.<br>

Cheers<br>

André</p>

<p>Asim,<br>

Do yourself a favor: forget about the MP. It's ridiculously expensive for what it is. Get yourslf an M6 (TTL if you must) and have the viewfinder fixed for the flare problem. Believe me, that's all you need. And if you don't need a built-in lightmeter, go for a good M4. Or even an M2, which looks exactly like the MP, and is, forty years on, one heck of a camera.<br>

Cheers<br>

André</p>

<p>oops... it should be McDonalds. So what's the BK equivalent... 'Quarter Pounder' I believe. Good catch by the way! :)</p>

<p>Yeah, I think in the end I'll most probably end up with an M6. But you know I found that the Leica dealer in Dubai was selling the MP for US$3200 new just a year ago... black paint version. That's just about what you pay for a used one in the US. I could start a business and just buy in Dubai and sell in the US.</p>