Epson or CanoScan 9000F

<p>Am doing a lot of research into which scanner to buy. From previous posts, on this forum I was considering the Epson V600 however I came across this review :</p>

<p><a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003KPVQYG/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk"></a>http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/V600/V600.HTM<br /> that was less than positive for colour scans. Is this a rogue review ? Would the CanoScan 9000F be a better option ?<br>

I am looking to scan, so That I can produce A4 Prints. I also want to scan crossed processed negs.</p>

<p>Steve, for scanning 35mm negs I find a dedicated 35mm scanner (Minolta Scan Dual) to provide superior results for prints on 8.5x11 paper. For 6x6 (MF) negs my Epson V500 provides me with very satisfactory files & prints. Your demands may be higher or lower so a definitive answer is tough to provide. I have no experience with current Canon scanners though my bet is they'd give similar results for the price. Search Gallery>Search by Photo Tags> ***insert scanner in question*** for some results posted on photo.net. You can then contact actual users for their opinions on whatever scanner you are interested in. Best, LM.</p>

<p>Yes, dedicated is the only way to go, if you can afford it. I bought an old Canoscan 2400 dpi that's old, but still runs. Software sucks, but it still scans better than my Epson flatbeds. I've seen scans from the new Canoscan 9000. I thought they looked fine, but wasn't terribly impressed with the Dmax. Software is better than the Epson's, but I still think you might get a better scan from the Epson. Since I haven't done side by side comparisons myself, I'm guessing they are pretty equal. Maybe tipped the way of Epson for Dmax, and Canoscan for software.</p>

<p>I like hearing the truth " dedicated film scanners work best"<br>

I reeally believe it.<br>

But all you can buy is a flatbed that the maufacturer CLAMS<br>

does wonderful scans. OK just ok scans yes.<br>

there has to be a new scanner that does a better than OK job.<br>

If some of these worderful dedicated used scanners do not work or later break<br>

where do get them fixed.<br>

or should you just get a highly praised flatbed and settle for OK just OK scans?</p>

<p>For enlarging to A4 from 35mm, you're really pushing the limits of what flatbed scanners can do. Real-world resolution is from 1000 to 2000 dpi. The optical path is the limiting factor, not the pixel spacing of the CCD line sensor, or the step size of the stepper motor that moves the line sensor. You're taking high-resolution samples from a not very sharp image being projected on the CCD line sensor.<br>

Unfortunately, all the serious 35mm film scanners from Nikon, Canon, and Minolta are discontinued. Prices for the Nikon ones are only going up on the used market. They were never cheap, and I presume key parts are no longer available to make new ones. There isn't enough market for them to get a positive return on investment in a new design.<br>

There are these very low-end dedicated 35mm film scanners. I just don't really know if any are contenders for 2900 to 4000 dpi resolution.<br>

I'm not a flatbed scanner hater. I have a Epson V750 for scanning negatives larger than 35mm, for which is it an excellent tool. But the Nikon Coolscan V lives next to it for 35mm work.</p>

<p>I haven't used any of the newer flatbeds. Compared to the Polaroid SprintScan 4000 that I had the Pulstek 7200 that I now have is as good or better. The SprintScan was equal to the Minolta dedicated 35mm scanners. Pulstek are the only 35mm dedicated current on the market that should be better than flatbeds, I'm not sure they will be as good as a late model Nikon.</p>

<p>There is also the Pacific Image, Braun or Reflecta (depending on which part of the world you are - BH has the first two brands, Reflecta is more in Germany).<br>

Reflecta also announced a MF capable scanner for June 2011, but that's still vaporware.</p>

<p>Steve,</p>

<p>Proper 35mm film scanning requires a dedicated film scanner. The new Plustek 7600 Ai is getting really good reviews and is a terrific alternative to paying the used price premiums currently being asked for the discontinued Nikon Coolscan V. There is an instant rebate at B&H right now and you can get it for $419.00, which is a really terrific deal considering the cost of the Silverfast software on a standalone basis.</p>

<p>the problem with the plustek is the <strong>extremely stupid filmstrip holder</strong>, it is completely MANUAL in that you have to push the holder to scan individual frame by frame!! I'm surprised this issue isn't pointed out often enough, as i'm sure the OP would like to batch scan a roll.<br /> also, for the link to the plustek by charles monday, notice that THEY themselves never provide an example for their scanner above 3200 dpi? thats because the REAL optical resolution for plustek's are only 3200 dpi! still better than flatbeds but far far below 7200 dpi! this was tested on USAF charts showing real optical resolution:<br /> <a href="http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7600i.html">http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7600i.html</a><br /> I'm not convinced that the plusteks are better than the nikon coolscans image wise, but i could be wrong but judging by the pricetag probably not, dont forget the coolscans had very quiet electronics and ED glass.</p>

<p> </p>