Photography Book Recommendations

<p>Hi all -<br>

I have a few bucks leftover on a gift card from Barnes & Noble and am looking to get a photography book.</p>

<p>I have a few books at home already - including the manual for my camera itself, an extra user guide for my camera, and an instructional book on photoshop. I've read a lot of the basics already online and taken 2 or 3 classes for fun. So I don't need a basics book, but something a little more advanced. Or something that is always good to have.</p>

<p>What suggestions do you have?</p>

<p>I'm looking for something with educational value. While I appreciate print books (for example, Ansel Adams) that's not what I'm after right now.</p>

<p>I've seen "Understanding Exposure" recommended a lot. What else?</p>

<p>"The Zen of Creativity" by John Daido Loori (a photographer) -- a mindful approach to photography.</p>

<p>"God is at Eye Level" by Jan Phillips -- similar to the book above but especially appropriate to photography of people.</p>

<p>Roger, how about adding the Adams book "<em>The Camera</em>" to your suggestions? They were a set of three books interconnected, I believe.</p>

<p>Ditto "<em>Light, Science, and Magic</em>". And most definitely Peterson's "<em>Understanding Exposure</em>", if you don't have it, get it, and it's just been updated to it's 3rd edition during 2010.</p>

<p>I'm not going to limit myself to one or two ideas, I'll toss a bunch of food for thought out there for you.</p>

<p>Mastering any skill requires constant practicing and mastering of the basics. In that case, the Scott Kelby set of "<em>Digital Photography, Books I, II, and III</em>." A new lesson on each page. Basic through advanced operational skills to help make better photos.</p>

<p>Getting away from the technical "how-to" and into theory and concept (i.e. thinking like a photographer):<br>

--Michael Freeman's "<em>The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos</em>", and the new follow-up "<em>The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos</em>".<br>

--Freeman Patterson's "<em>Photography and the Art of Seeing</em>", includes practical exercises to apply what you just learned.<br>

--John Szarkowski's "<em>The Photographer's Eye</em>" (current printing, first pub. 1966, a study of photographic works from the New York Museum of Modern Art.); and "<em>Looking at Photographs</em>"<br>

--Bryan Peterson's "<em>Understanding Close-up Photography</em>".</p>

<p>And don't dismiss the books of photo collections (i.e. coffee table-esque books), for they give wonderful opportunities to apply what you've learned in the "how-to" books by studying what successful photographers have accomplished, such as:<br>

--John Szarkowski's "<em>Photographs</em>"; and "<em>Faces of Minnesota</em>", both are personal work of the former photography curator at the M.O.M.A.<br>

--Abrams Publishing's "<em>Photo:Box</em>", collection of 210 internationally renowned photographers showing 250 image samples with explanations.<br>

--David Douglas Duncan's "<em>Photo Nomad</em>", 60 years of war, international magazine, and general documentary photography. Hard and soft cover versions available.<br>

--Larry Millett's "<em>Strange Days, Dangerous Nights, Photos From The Speed Graphic Era</em>", 1930's thru early 1960's newspaper photography, based in St. Paul, MN. (Millett is a recently retired newspaper reporter who wrote this book covering an era/style of photography that is long gone, including some very graphic images.)<br>

--Benjamin Katz's "<em>Souvenirs</em>", mainly candid portraiture.<br>

--Jeff Dunas' "<em>American Pictures</em>", American life off the beaten path...<br>

--Harry Weber's "Das Wien-Projekt" (The Vienna Project), documentary of life in Vienna.<br>

Okay, I'm done. I tend to be a book hound when it comes to subjects I am very interested in, and I own every book I've mentioned, and many more. A few of these books are likely out of print but may be found used, reference B&N online for availability as new printings. I buy most of my photography books from used books stores. If you find a used book store that actually knows how to collect/maintain a photography selection, you'll find yourself darkening their doorway quite often. I've amassed quite a collection of very reasonably priced used books this way, and my local Half Priced Books stores have been very helpful in building my library. http://hpb.com/ to find local stores.</p>

<p>Spend time in local bookstores, new and used, and not just the "big box" chain bookstores. Thumb through what they stock, and even if you don't recognize the names, if the book "speaks" to you, buy it and study it. Don't forget your local public library, too.</p>

<p>If you're interested in landscapes, I'd suggest Galen Rowell's excellent 'Mountain Light', but it looks like it's currently out of print and Amazon dealers are asking several times the list price (you might find it more cheaply if you shop around, or consider one of his other in-print books):<br /> http://www.amazon.com/dp/0871563673</p>

<p>If the journalistic style is more your thing, take a look at Ken Kobre's 'Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach':<br /> http://www.amazon.com/dp/075068593X</p>

<p>For a pretty definitive reference, check out 'The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography':<br /> http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240807405</p>

<p>If you're prepared to bend your rules a bit, Phaidon's 'The Photo Book' has an image each from 500 photographers, which I'd say has definite educational value:<br /> http://www.amazon.com/dp/0714844888</p>

<p>There are instructional books on all kinds of specialized topics and subjects. Is there a subject that you especially like to photograph or a technical area, like exposure or composition, that you feel needs improvement?</p>

<p>While you never stop learning technique, once you reach a certain level, you learn more from studying the work of photographers who you admire.</p>

<p>A vote here for Understanding Exposure by Pedersen.</p>

<p>I also find the 3 main books by Michael Freeman very valuable on exposure, composition and creativity.</p>

<p>And on a different level I really enjoy reading the work of David DuChemin, who approaches photography from a rather humanist, communications point of view.</p>

<p>Thanks for putting up this thread too by the way. I personally will look up a number of the books suggested above that I had not already heard of.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There are instructional books on all kinds of specialized topics and subjects. Is there a subject that you especially like to photograph or a technical area, like exposure or composition, that you feel needs improvement?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agreed.</p>

<p>Without knowing the OP's subject(s) of interest and needs, recommendations can be way off the mark.</p>