Buying a 2nd hand LF view camera

alcyon

<p>Hi, I'm thinking about buying a LF view camera but I haven't used a one of those for almost 20 years and find myself somewhat lost and rusty.<br>

I've found one on CL for $375 and below is what comes with the whole package. I would like the opinion of the more seasoned LF photographers out there on whether or not this is a decent deal. From what I understand, the camera is in good condition.<br>

Kit:<br>

body: cambo sc 4x5 (rotating back) <br /> lens: schneider 210mm 5.6 <br /> +metal carrying case <br /> +dark cloth <br /> +four film holders <br /> +shutter cable release.<br>

Thank you in advance for your help.<br>

Francois</p>

<p>Yup. If the lens is in good shape, it alone is worth the money. The positive thing about a Cambo is there are so many parts and accessories available for it. You may recall that using a view camera is mostly a procedural thing: Set up tripod, attach camera, set movements to zero, open shutter, set aperture wide open to focus, etc.</p>

<p>Looks like a good buy to me, also. The Cambo is a modular camera with easily interchangable backs, bellows, lensboards, and rails...a very flexable outfit. As Michael pointed out, the lens uses up most of the price, so it is indeed a good deal. Can't comment on your tripod since I don't know much about the load capacity of the various Manfrottos, but you should be able to check that on their website.</p>

<p>I use 4x5 cameras on the same tripod (but the Bogen version), and it is okay. Not like my Linhof tripods, but it can handle it. I am not one that likes the joystick-type heads though. I suspect the weight of the camera will be difficult to adjust with the joystick. I do like the quick release heads, but I use the hex-plate heads.</p>

<p>I hope the lens came with a Mountain Plate, because you are going to need the size of the plate if you want to purchase any new lenses. Apparently Cambo view cameras come in two colors Grey and Black. With Black being the most recent version. The size of the plates may vary between both cameras.</p>

<p>Thanks to all for your terrific help.<br>

I'm not sure if the lens is a Xenar or Symmar. I'll ask. Kent, I think you're right I'll buy another head to put on my tripod. In all frankness, I'm not that impressed with the joystick one anyway.</p>

<p>The lens will be a Xenar,<br>

the set is well priced, a little on the higher side, but ok.<br>

Cambo monorails are heavy, so its not very comfortable to use outside studio.<br>

Important points are<br>

Is the bellows lighttight?<br>

Is the shutter working properly or does it need CLA?<br>

Are some knobs missing?<br>

Is there a mount to attach a tripod?<br>

Regards<br>

Martin</p>

<p>The shutter is likely to be a Compur, likely to drag or not work at all except using B or your hat.... repair will cost as much as the lens itself. Don't attribute any dollar value to the lens (but you can still have fun with it) and don't believe shutter description. I'd suggest planning on a Nikon or Fuji eventually, to replace the Xenar...Xenar as a lens is fine, but Japanese (and old American) shutters actually work, which makes them far better than old Compurs.</p>

<p>I just sold a Calumet for a friend of mine. It came with 5 negative holders, a 15cm f4.5 Carl Zeiss Jena lens mounted in a Compur shutter and the camera case for $150 USD. The Compur shutter fired right off every time. I "tested" it against my Pentax K1000, and at 1 second and ½ second they both sounded the same for run time. <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50026670@N05/sets/72157625640112288/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/50026670@N05/sets/72157625640112288/</a> for the camera and <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~classiccameras/lens4.htm">http://home.comcast.net/~classiccameras/lens4.htm</a> for the lens.</p>