Copyrights - What is what? I am confused.

<p>First let me state that I am Canadian, so answers to my question(s) might vary a lot.</p>

<p>When you submit a photo for a contest, and the "organization" states that <strong>"All entries become the property of the ... (the said organization)"</strong><br />Nothing else mentioned, just that.<br />Does that equate handing over <strong>all</strong> your rights (copyrights) of that photo?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>JP</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the replies, people!<br>

Well, looks as if I will have to bite the bullet, doesn't it?<br>

The pics are certainly not what you'd call perfection nor great works of art but the answers I am getting do confirm my doubts about submitting anything in "contests".<br>

Just in case I decide to still "use" any of them for my own use (not selling or publishing), and I most likely will, I still have all of my original DNG's. Let's see if they find out what they'll do.<br>

Cheers to all.</p>

<p>JP</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nothing else mentioned, just that.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If that is all that is contained in the TOA, it alone should cause you to steer well clear.<br>

The (few) contests that are reputable, (and they are few), will have TOA that specifically spell out your rights and their rights.</p>

<p>As already mentioned, this is nothing more than a attempt at a "rights grab".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just in case I decide to still "use" any of them for my own use (not selling or publishing), and I most likely will, I still have all of my original DNG's. Let's see if they find out what they'll do.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can tell them it's a second identical image taken from the same position moments later.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You can tell them it's a second identical image taken from the same position moments later.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It would have no merit, however, since its just a duplicate of same "identical image". Copyrights aren't defeated by someone having duplicates of the same image. It would defeat the entire purpose of having copyright protections. Someone might as well be able to make copies and say they have a different photo. Shooting dupes of the same scene was done with chromes so photographers could send pristine copies of the same imagery to different potential buyers at the same time. It was all the same image for copyright purposes. Is there some Canadian deviation from this that would allow an "identical image" to be meaningless for copyright purposes? I doubt it.<br /> <a name="pagebottom"></a></p>

<p>I don't know. It sounds more like they don't want to bother returning the entries. It's too vague to assume that your rights are taken. Do they ask for a digital file or a print?<br>

It doesn't say, "All images become the property of...", which might be more likely to include the rights. I think it's debatable.</p>

<p>Can you email them and ask?</p>

<p>Peter</p>