Need help in the final selection of the camera among 3 models

Rachana

<p>Hello, <br /> My current camera is Nikon Coolpix L12.<br /> I Want to upgrade to the higher one having Manual focus.<br /> Preference is Image Quality.<br /> Though I have not restricted myself, at present my field of interest are Landscape, Cityscape, Portrait, Still Closeup, abstract, Adventure (Trekking, rappelling)<br /> I need help/suggetions in the final selction among following models.<br /> <strong>Canon PowerShot G12</strong><br /> <strong>Nikon Coolpix P7000</strong><br /> <strong>Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5</strong><br /> <strong></strong><br>

<strong>File having <strong>Technical specs </strong>Side-by-side , is attached herewith.<br /></strong><br /> Thanks and Regards,<br /> Rachana<br /> <strong> </strong></p>

<p>The LX5 has a shorter maximum focal length than the others, but its lens is f/2 as against f/2.8. That can be a considerable advantage. A further consideration is whether or not you want an eye-level view-finder. You should understand that manual focus will probably not involve turning the barrel of the lens.</p>

<p>Image quality is difficult to say without have all three cameras for a long period of time. You can read test reports online at several websites and see what they have to say. For the other factor like zoom range, max aperture etc.. you should decide for yourself. As far as handling and controls you should check them out in store to see how they compare. It can be difficult to locate a LX5 in store. I found all 3 of them are reasonably good in term of manual controls of aperture and shutter speed. In the area of manual focusing all three of them are very difficult to do.</p>

<p>Hi Rachana:</p>

<p>For my money it would be the Canon and think there are two good reasons.</p>

<p>Firstly I'd wouldn't consider a p & s camera without a viewfinder. Personally I think the absence of the viewfinder is a design flaw! The rear screen is useless when, for e.g., there's sunlight shining on it. I also think that holding the camera out at arm's length to view the screen is a very unsteady way to hold a camera.</p>

<p>Second is the the rotaing screen. I've owned a three Canon's (including the G11) with their rear, rotating screen and it's a priceless feature. I permits you to shoot comfortably and steadily from waist level as well as overhead.</p>

<p>Just my opinions.</p>

<p>Good luck, Dave D</p>

<p>Just to add to the confusion... if you're considering the DMC-LX5, I'd also consider a Canon Powershot S95. Same sensor as the G12, much smaller and cheaper, faster lens. (Also less zoom range, no hotshoe, no optical viewfinder, no tilting screen. But most of that applies to the DMC-LX5 as well.) DPReview.com compares all these at various points in their reviews, I believe. My default recommendation to friends is a Canon, on the basis that everyone I know with a Powershot likes them, but the Panasonic is well thought-off. The impression I get from P7000 reviews is that it's much better than its predecessors and competition for the G11, but the G12 probably has a handling edge - but if you're used to the CoolPix interface, that may not be such a problem for you. I'd try them in a shop and see how you get on with them in your hands - they're bulky beasts.<br />

<br />

My brief experience with them was that there's still no comparison in the handling compared with a DSLR - this was a G11 and S90, but they were still lagging my inputs a lot. If you're paying that much, don't rule out a cheap DSLR or an EVIL camera (especially now Sony have improved the firmware on their NEXs). Maybe the compacts you list are small enough for you to carry and a DSLR wouldn't be; I found the G11 so enormous that I probably wouldn't want to carry it at any time I wouldn't rather carry a DSLR, but you might be in the habit of wearing coats with large pockets.<br />

<br />

I hope that helps. Good luck.</p>

<p>If I was you I would stick with the Nikon Coolpix since at least there is no learning curve. All three cameras take great pictures, but I would say the Canon and the Coolpix are more like hybrids, while the LX5 is a luxury point and shoot. I have a Panazonic TZ-5 which is a grade lower than the LX series and what I like is the very intuitive menu. You can practically operate the camera without having to look at the manual. The software that comes with the camera is very limited though. One thing that bothered me about the Panasonic was the slight shutter lag, the flimsy buttons and the AE often got fooled in tricky lighting situations. Don't know much about the other 2 cameras, but for years the coolpix has been very popular with professional photographers who wanted to go light. That should say allot about the picture quality.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I would say the Canon and the Coolpix are more like hybrids, while the LX5 is a luxury point and shoot"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hybrid of what?<br>

The cameras are pretty competitive. You should probably also consider the <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungtl500/">Samsung TL500/EX1</a> and Canon S95 if you're considering these. They're all priced in the same ballpark and are similar in the sense that they are all premium compacts with larger-than-average-but-still-small sensors, married with improved build quality, better-than-average lenses, manual control and RAW capture. The biggest differentiators are zoom range/speed, whether they offer a accessory hotshoe, viewfinder, and/or rotating rear LCD screens. In approximate size order:</p>

<ul>

<li>Canon S95: No hotshoe or flippable LCD. 28-105 lens.</li>

<li>Panasonic LX-5: Hotshoe but fixed LCD. <strong>24</strong>-85 lens (IMO a very useful range). <strong>Available EVF</strong> (electronic viewfinder)</li>

<li>Samsung: Hotshoe, flippable LCD, fastest lens, <strong>24</strong>-70 equiv</li>

<li>Nikon P7000: Hotshoe, flippable LCD, optical viewfinder, <strong>28-200</strong> zoom (but predictably the slowest here)</li>

<li>Canon G12: Hotshoe, flippable LCD, 28-140 lens, optical viewfinder.</li>

</ul>

<p>Some will insist on an optical viewfinder, but these are usually pretty crappy too. You can buy a EVF for the LX5 which has some advantages over a optical viewfinder in the sense that it is more accurate for framing and offers full exposure info through the viewfinder.<br>

I will likely get an LX5 but recognize that everyone has different priorities/biases here.</p>

<p>FWIW, DPReview have just posted a comparative review of the P7000, S95 and LX-5. My understanding is that the optical viewfinder of the P7000 and G12 are pretty useless for framing, but probably still help when there's a lot of light on the LCD or if you want the minimum possible lag to "capture the moment".<br />

<br />

Btw, just to correct Andrew, I don't believe the P7000's LCD is flippable (although it looks like it is). However, I think it's the highest resolution of the cameras considered. The biggest issue I'd have with the P7000 is that it allegedly takes a very long time to process an image.<br />

<br />

"Hybrid" probably meant "EVIL" (or your preferred acronym for mirrorless interchangable lens camera). I'd probably go with the S95 for portability (or S90 for less money, if I could still find one) or either a NEX-3 or GF-1 for flexibility, but everyone's requirements are different.</p>