The demise of a D3 with 24-70 2.8 lens

paul_mcmullin

<p>I've seen a few similarly broken Canon 1D's and EOS 3's. It makes me wonder - how come that particular spot in the front around the lens mount is that much weaker than the rest? I know magnesium alloy is not steel or titanium, but I thought the chassis can take more beating. More specifically, I'd expect the chassis to crack or bend and plastics to shatter before the lens mount tears off like that.<br>

And yep, I know the lens acts as a lever in a fall like that, but I'd expect the front of the camera to be especially reinforced/thick to sustain the stress to the area (heavy lenses, lens mounting...). I guess it doesn't matter much, does it.</p>

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well the D3 and Lens are now laid to rest - pending an ebay listing in the spares or repair section<br>

(joke). I have just opened the D3s box and now inputting all the different settings I had on the 3.<br>

Insurance broker has been absolutely spot on and sorted it very quickly.<br>

Suggestions to what I should do with the remains appreciated.<br>

PMc </p>

<p><em><strong>Someone stole my first 2 week old D3 and 24-70 2.8. I FEEL YOUR PAIN.:(</strong></em><br>

Actually Rick, that is worse. Knowing that some dirtbag is enjoying the fruits of your labours is worse than having it destroyed. When mine was stolen, if I had some remote destruction mechanism I would had destroyed it just so that the scumbag thieves wouldn't have it. Preferably a large explosive device that would take the thieves out also !</p>

<p>Hans, I know there must be! I tend to upgrade cameras on a rolling 3 yr basis and had decided not to upgrade the D3 to the S as when it was announced I was only 2yrs into the D3 and really the improvements were not worth the cost so had decided to wait for the 'D4' expecting some sort of announcement for photokina 2010 this obviously didnt happen. However I was more then happy with my D3 until eventually the D4 is announced. Ill be in a quandry when the D4 is announced however as the D3S will now be absolutely fine for a good few years yet.<br>

No I didnt ask Nikon for a repair estimate - I think it is what is called an 'insurance writeoff'.</p>

<p>Honestly...thats the saddest thing you folks have ever seen? How about starving children in impoverished parts of the world, or animal cruelty? God, it's just a tool, no diff then a f***ing hammer. Hardest thing to swallow is the cost to replace it, otherwise...who gives a shit!</p>

<p>Now, don't let Roman be a Thorn in your side!</p>

<p>Paul, either put it in a display case so you have something to show visitors (and don't forget to make up a good story about hanging out of helicopter over Mt. Everest or something, or send it to Cuba, where some guy in a tin-roofed workshop will get it working with a welder and some parts off a '57 Pontiac Star Chief.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I worked for 24 years at Boeing, and whenever an airplane went down, the usual tag line was "but the black box survived", someone would always ask, "Why don't they build the whole plane out of that stuff?"</p>

<p>A few years ago, while attempting to get a plastic Canon Powershot A95 out of a jacket pocket, I dropped it 4 feet onto unforgiving concrete. The result was a nearly imperceptible nick on the corner and the camera remained fully operational. Of course the Nikon was moving at 40 mph at impact compared to 15 mph for the Canon, off the top of my head (don't try this at home).</p>

<p>16 feet per second per second...after that speed is attained, nothing else matters.<br>

Objects, tools and the like can be replaced. People not.<br>

As to disposal, suspect your local electronics recycling point<br>

will gladly take the remains; then again you could taken the components<br>

and have them framed in a glass case. At least they would not have to have<br>

regular injections of some form of embalming fluid.</p>