No sign of an EVIL Nikon yet?

ricardovaste

<p>No announcements that you missed. No product in stores or at Photokina.</p>

<p>But nothing announced doesn't mean that there isn't a prototype or prototypes out there testing... but of course anyone that has one has signed an ironclad NDA so they wouldn't be posting here on PhotoNet. If I remember correctly D3's and D3x's started showing up a few month's before the announcement all with the brand name and model taped over, along with generic straps.</p>

<p>And no - I don't have one - nor am I waiting one with baited breath.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But nothing announced doesn't mean that there isn't a prototype or prototypes out there testing...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And just because there are many different prototypes out there testing, it does not at all mean that they will become products.</p>

<p>Any mirrorless camera from Nikon will likely have its own lens system. It makes little sense to mount the large F mount lenses that are designed to clear a mirror on a mirrorless camera, whose strength is small size. If one wants a mirrorless camera that badly, they can always get a Sony NEX or Micro 4/3 camera.</p>

<p>FWIW I had the G1 (sold to help pay for my lightly used d300 of course I should have waited four more weeks for the D7000 announcement but who knew?) anyway I had the G1 micro 4/3 and I will testify that, had it been loaded with a sensor of the size/quality of Nikon's APS-C sensors, say that of the D90, even with the EVF (which was actually quite good and they've since gotten better) I would have declared it the best non-pro level camera on the market. It was outstanding and the lenses for it were exceptional. They've cut some quality from the newer kit lens, alas, but the 14-45 that came with the G1 and the 20mm 1.7 and 7-14mm additional lenses and the Leica 45mm Macro were all tremendous lenses. Plus adapters allowed one to load almost any other lens in the universe on it. So -- don't disparage.<br>

I'm not sure at this point however that Nikon can take a sufficient piece of that market if they do as SONY did and introduce a new lens mount. The whole point of the micro 4/3 was interchangeability. For Nikon to break in on the Panasonic/Olympus hold on what's already a limited market, drawing from the highest end p&s users and the intro dslr users, the company would have to spend much bucks and come up with something very exciting indeed. Another NEX won't do it. Fuji x100, with a superb built in viewfinder and interchangeable lenses -- maybe.<br>

A similarly small market that requires major $$ investment is the full format and right now the D3x is deadly expensive and Canon is kicking their ass with the 5D MkII. They've overtaken the 7D now with the D7000 but they still got that 5D MkII to take care of because, more than micro 4/3, that's a core identity market for Nikon. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Well, Photokina passed, and we still haven't seen any sign of a mirror-less camera system from Nikon</em><br />Even worse, we still havent seen replacment for D300/D700.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D300 was replaced more than a year ago, by the D300S, which should last 2 years. I wouldn't expect the D300S to be updated within 2010.</p>

<p>For the Photokina, Nikon added two DSLR bodies: D3100 and D7000 plus five new lenses. There used to be a lot of complaints about Nikon lacking f1.4 AF-S lenses. In merely 7 months, Nikon added the 24mm, 85mm, and 35mm all f1.4 AF-S. By any measure that is a lot of new products in a short period of time. The problem earlier was that there were no new DSLRs in the first 7 months of 2010 so that Nikon still has some catching up to do.</p>

<p>Nikon themselves have hinted a few times about some "revolutionary" camera. Whether it is merely yet another mirrorless camera or something else is unknown. I suppose for that we need to wait till 2011:</p>

<ul>

<li>This is an interview with Nikon's president Makoto Minura: <a href="http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/4091102/Nikon-hints-at-revolutionary-new-model">http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/4091102/Nikon-hints-at-revolutionary-new-model</a> </li>

<li>Another interview from early this year: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022304nikonbalance.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022304nikonbalance.asp</a></li>

</ul>

<p>Hybrid viewfinder? - I don’t think so. From someone who has been in the technology field for a very long time (even teaching electronics in 1962), the more we embrace technology, the more we become vulnerable to it.<br>

Cameras used to have shutter speed and aperture displayed in the view finder. We now have way too much information available, way too many choices, and way too much displayed. This drives up the cost of the equipment, the cost of repairs, and the chances of equipment failures, not to mention added confusion. KISS.</p>

<p>Wow, far grumpier replies than expected :-).</p>

<p>Twas simple for me - The NEX cameras are current very 'toy-ish'. The 4/3 options are nice, but I'd prefer APS-C or larger. The Samsung is okay, but not stabalized & I'm just not that sure about it. Nikon make good cameras, so I thought they might 'hold the answer', nothing more. This really wasn't about the debate of electronic viewfinder or optical viewfinder for me, it honestly never came to mind, just a compact rangefinder sized digital system ('like' NEX).</p>

<p>That Fuji does look beautiful :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"The D300 was replaced more than a year ago, by the D300S, which should last 2 years"</em><br />What kind of joke is this?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mag, could you clarify your comment? The D300S replacing the D300 in July 2009 is a fact. Do facts bother you?</p>

<p>Replacing a popular SLR by an "S" model with modest upgrades is a common practice for Nikon, such as the D3S replacing the D3, D70S replacing the D70 back in 2005, and earlier the N8008S (F801S) replacing the N8008 (F801).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I guess Nikon should bring out new stuff weekly to keep everybody chatting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Very well said. Nikon has added a lot of new products for Photokina. I am afraid that our expectation has exceeded reality.</p>

<p>[[Hybrid viewfinder? - I don’t think so.]]</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure that denying the existence of the viewfinder won't make it go away, Stan.</p>

<p>[[the more we embrace technology, the more we become vulnerable to it.]]</p>

<p>Which is why you're still coating your wet plates yourself, right?</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I guess Nikon should bring out new stuff weekly to keep everybody chatting</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ross,<br>

A new Cam. each mont might be nice It would also mean that new software ( viewNX , Adobe Raw, PS6, and drivers etc.) would be needed too, <br>

and I guess that you would like to upgrade that stuff each month ....</p>

<p>I still have a Nikon CoolPix 8700, which although it is a great little point and shoot, has an electronic viewfinder, and to be honest, I <em>hate it</em>. Especially since all my lenses are older AIS fully manual types and I focus manually. An electronic viewfinder is just one more thing to go wrong, and will be expensive to repair or replace. If you want something that is electronic vs optical, just use Live View on your camera (assuming yours has it)</p>