Canon Thursday Pic 2010: #5

joshroot

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>So many good photos here today. Hope everyone had a good Equinox and start of Fall. My photo was just taken over an hour ago looking over the Delaware River from New Hope, Pennsylvania looking to Lambertville, NJ (a few miles North of Washington's Crossing) Temperatures were in the 90's today and not uncommon for the beginning of Fall in Eastern Pennsylvania. Excellent photography weather and marking the start of another great Fall photography season. Happy Shooting everyone.</p><div>00XLxi-283863684.jpg.f8c1d31b456e8d4b471dc55246f9ad9f.jpg</div>
Cheers, Mark

<p>Ken, thanks! These things are really such red (I don't know exact name of them, in my childhood they were called 'wild apples', it's rough translation from Russian, and sometimes 'Chinese apples'). I didn't do anything to the raw file, just uploaded it to LR3.2 and exported it (which leaves 'Adobe Standard' processing of course)<br>

And yes, I forgot to mention magic numbers: 7D, 100/2.8L, IS, ISO 640, 1/100, f/4.0<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Just a comment as a whole:</p>

<p>Canon people still have a lot to learn as they seem tech challenged in posting photos, as compared to Nikon. Three things going on still and often: too long in the Y axis but OK in X so PN software still permits; too large period -- PN software just gives a link to the static image location; broken links as someone attmepted to post something somehow and they failed; and four, failure of posting an image and not coming back and fixing it. OH WELL! Slow learners here. It can't be made any easier.</p>

<p>Another comment: 90% of these are Really Good. The photographer motivations, sometime obvious, are also helpful, fun and maybe an aid to others. GOOD WORK.</p>

<p>I submitted a photo above from my flickr account. My apologies if this is creating a problem for anyone. In my first attempt I believe I tried to paste the HTML code from the flickr site. It didn't work. Then I tried to edit the post about 2 or 3 times trying various things. Ultimate result: I still don't see the photo, just an x where the photo should be and I can no longer edit the post. Yet others can apparently see the image as it's received a large number of hits from photo.net. I am going thru the photo.net archives to try to figure out why!</p>

<p>Ken Papai<br>

Although I found Josh's instructions quite through, I suspect many don't read them. I've seen your remarks about "Y Axis" several times now and to be frank, I was only guessing that you were saying one dimension is too long (I had to look it up to be sure) Perhaps if you just reminded people that the "longest dimension" can not be over 700 pixels, length OR width, that would help. The time you take to comment on all these photos is most appreciated! AND yes I do "KNOW" ;-) and will try to come up with a different subject for next week!</p>

<p>Also, there are still a handful who don't know how to post a photo after they type in comments (like I am doing now). I've been asked to post this version.<br>

Super simplified -- "How to post an image?" to this thread?</p>

<p>1. After you type your words (like I am doing now), press the "SUBMIT" button below.<br>

2. Next button you press is "CONFIRM"<br>

3. Then press the CHOOSE FILE button.<br>

4. Finally, browse you PC's directopry folder to an image that is 700 px wide or less and select. PN uploads your image file -- I hope you selected a JPG image too.<br>

5. Type a Caption, too many forget that step--type a CAPTION e.g., "2 Buddies"<br>

6. Press UPLOAD button and you are done. <br>

If you follow the KEY steps 4 and 5 this is a no brainer. Unless you are advanced and know HTML well, then don't attempt an inline image hosted elsewhere.</p>

<p>Finally -- PN does not resize your images like Facebook does. YOU are responsible for the image file's size in dimensions.</p>

<p>How large an image file in bytes? It's been hinted that 200KB or smaller is ideal for this forum. I hope you read this. ;-) 140KB to 180KB provides plenty of image information for 700 px images with good enough quality for this forum.</p>

<p><a title="The BMF Band by Dean Schreuder, on Flickr" href=" The BMF Band src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5013329199_8df0a7754b_z.jpg" alt="The BMF Band" width="640" height="452" /></a><br>

<strong>The BMF Band</strong><br>

<em>(Because there are three photos that make up this image and I did use different focal lengths, I'm only going to list the exposure settings for the primary image on the left. The other photos will have similar exposure settings.)</em><br>

Canon EOS 7D<br>

Shutter: 1/60<br>

Aperture: f2.8<br>

Focal Length: 17mm (Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS)<br>

ISO: 2000</p>

<p>Doug & Ken, <br>

In my particular case, I did read the instructions as specified on the FAQ page (/<a href="../info/frequent-questions#upload_forum_images">http://www.photo.net/info/frequent-questions#upload_forum_images</a>). Since that page indicated that posting HTML was an option, and since I use Flickr as my primary site for sharing images with family and friends, I choose that option rather than uploading a copy of that image to pnet. Why the HTML snippet from flickr did not work here, I do not know. But I must state that the information provided in the FAQ is definitely not detailed enough. I don't know if there is any other more detailed information outside of the FAQ page. I certainly haven't found it so far. It would be extremely helpful for first time posters to PNET if appropriate detailed instructions could be provided, on the FAQ page or on a page pointed to by the FAQ page, with examples (of both normal posting as well as HTML or link based photos from external sites) including screen shots. <br>

Without that you will continue to grind your teeth and curse every time a newbie like me tries to contribute something to PNET. And I speak as a person with 20+ years of programming experience on embedded systems. Of course I have never programmed in HTML. But posting a picture to the forum is not rocket science and simple examples that show how this can be done would go a long way to help PNET ignorants like me learn how to do this properly. Cheers.</p>

<p>Over past 30+ years I've programmed and learned fluently HTML, XHTML, C, Lisp (!), Pascal (!), 6502, 80x86, Basic, and C#. Also done embedded programming and old fashioned Websites since 1995. The instructions are easy peasy! <strong>Most people's HTML errors are not referencing the correctly hosted .jpg file itself </strong>on Flickr or similar. I've seen people try to paste in the html link itself to the page, which is way wrong (that's what Praveen did).<br>

<br /> I've been on Photo.net for 8 years and posting photos is so simple and basic: thus, my counterpoint.</p>

<p>Anyway, back to the good stuff, why we are here - capsule reviews of pages 3 and 4:</p>

<p>Eric - red sunset, excellent, perfectly exposed. Red & black only.<br /> Mike S. - steps, water, contemplative, evocative of 'deep thinking' or just mind-a-blank (mine often) and total R&R?<br /> Ken - (mine), phoned it in?<br /> Britton - lovely wedding shot of the dress trashing in sepia, excellent.<br /> Nathan - bird lover you are and I love the greens and other colors.<br /> David - another birder and nice take-off and so colorful again!<br /> Jim - muted landscape, low contrast, effective still. Diagonals all over!<br /> Massimo - candle/little girl: very cute and touching.<br /> Brad - - (extra hyphen) I love this and it is an amusing B&W. photo in a macro photo of a photog.<br /> Thom (pg. 4) - blue and bluer and dark and pretty.<br /> David - starfish in SEA. Missing one of his toes though in your frame but the star looks happy.<br /> Karen - a color explosion! It jumps out of the screen at me.<br /> Mark - I've seen that swirl similar before but your pulled it off well-2 sec. exposure?<br /> Eric - a little too dark and castle alone, small in the frame mysterious?<br /> JDM - similar to the swirl - nice jellies, perfectly exposed too.<br /> Jim H - pumpkin closeup with the stem perfectly composed in the frame.</p>

<p>NICE WORKS! -kjp (excuse my typos - computer geeks are not supposed to be expert typists, we rely a lot on copy & paste)</p>