Nikon Coolscan IV ED & Windows 7

<p>I use Nikon Scan 4.0.4 with a Coolscan V under Windows 7 x64. Since Nikon Scan 4.0.3 also supports the Coolscan IV the following should work. The problem is the drivers that come with Nikon Scan 4.0.3; the "trick" is to use the VueScan drivers with Nikon Scan.</p>

<p>1) Get VueScan here <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.hamrick.com/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.hamrick.com/index.html</a> and install it.<br>

2) Get NikonScan 4.0.3 here: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL1pCT2JEWjZr#Anchor-7" target="_blank">http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL1pCT2JEWjZr#Anchor-7</a><br />Ignore the note that it is for Vista only.<br>

3) Install NikonScan 4.0.3, but <strong>do not intall the driver. </strong>Not installing the driver is an option during the NikonScan install process. Nikon Scan will use the VueScan driver.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've installed the trial Vuescan. It works and I like it. I wish it would take prefixes along with the image number, like for example, if I used the D90, with a 35-70mm lens on Jan. 1, 2009, I would prefix it like this: d90_3570_1-1-2k9_01. And the next one " " _02, and so forth.<br>

Also, Vuescan asks you if you want to save it to the selected folder. It would display the folder and asks you to name it. I wish it could just go ahead and save it to that folder with automatic number along with one's prefixes. <br>

I like Vuescan's onboard image tweaks much better than Nikon Scan's. The 80 dollar version will scan to Raw. I woulda sprung for it, but maybe next year's budget will allow it :)<br>

Thanks to all of you. Anything else you might want to add to the discussion...tips etc. would be great :)</p>

<p>Mark - Vuescan will save it to whatever folder you want with whatever prefix you want, you need to look in the Output tab and you can choose JPG, Tiff, Raw/DNG, and various options for each one including filename and folder. You can upgrade to the Pro version later if you want, you don't need to do that straight away.</p>

<p>One more thing - if scanning negs there is a special procedure that locks exposure and film base colour, and allows you to get good colour and white/black points pretty much automatically after locking it. You do that once per roll (or session if the rolls are the same type of film) and then you're set. </p>

• 11 months later...
<p>I have succesfully used a Coolscan III on windows 7.<br />Using Vuescan and a Castlewood ORB USB smart card ( SCSI to USB Adaptor).<br />Plugging the connected USB into my machine Windows 7 found the drivers and it worked.<br /><br />The only Problem is after dismounting the USB I get an error and all USB ports refuse to work untill a reboot, but thats a small price to pay for a usable Coolscan III.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Nikon's abandonment of relatively expensive older equipment like film scanners really offends me, but it is typical of their idea of support for their products. Shame on Nikon.</p>

<p>That said, I used the suggestion of Brooks Gelfand above, and it works well for my Nikon Coolscan IV ED. First, I downloaded and installed Vuescan. I tried it, and it works pretty well, but there are a few things I thought could have been better thought out. Next, I downloaded and installed Silverfast. Luckily, the Vuescan driver works for Silverfast too, because Silverfast does not supply a driver. They advise you to load your manufacturer's driver before installing Silverfast. Since Nikon's driver for 64 bit systems does not exist, Vuescan deserves credit for supplying a driver. Silverfast seems a little fancier, with lots of things you can do to your image. However, the instructions I tried to follow did not match the newest version of the software. That, along with no supplied driver turned me off. Of the two, I would probably go with Vuescan because its output seems equal, and they provide the necessary driver, and it is less expensive than Silverfast. Both Vuescan and Silverfast can produce pretty good scans, but after all of this, I went back to Nikon Scan 4. It is still clunky, slow, and not fun to use, but I preferred its output to either Vuescan or Silverfast. My new computer, with a fast processor and 64 bit Windows 7 makes it a little bit faster, and it is now tolerable. My thanks to Brooks and Vuescan, without which I would not be using my Nikon scanner.</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>I have a Nikon Coolscan IV ED film and slide scanner which I bought new and was working fine on a previous pc before we packed the scanner away some time ago in preparation for a house move,I have got the scanner out and checked the internet as the desktop I am using is running Windows 7. I also have an Epson 3170 Photo flatbed scanner and that works fine with the desktop.<br>

So I ran Vuescan using the cable and port that the Epson works with and I got the message – “no device connected” I tried with a new cable and a different port same message “no device connected” (I should mention that when the Coolscan is turned on it makes all the sounds of initialising that I remember – so its not dead) I then ran Silverfast using both cables and both ports and still got the message - “no device connected”<br>

I contacted Vuescan who simply said the cable must be faulty but thant cant be as it works fine with the Epson and I have tried 2 leads and 2 ports. <br>

Do you have any ideas please?</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi David<br>

I have had the same problem with a Coolscan IV ED. And my Epson scanner worked just fine with VueScan. After reading the Q&A on the CoolScan site, I tried using another USB cable and a port on the computer. Then the Coolscan worked fine too. And the 'old' cable and port worked with other devices.<br>

My conclusion is that the Coolscan is more sensitive to issues with the USB connection than any other device I have used. <br>

Good luck.</p>