Going out to just shoot

jaydesi

<p>This question is primarily for those who shoot for fun rather than business, but pros who go out and shoot non-business type photos in their free time would work as well. I'm wondering, what kinds of places do you go locally to shoot? Maybe in some free time after work, or in the morning before work, etc. I'm not asking about vacation, or even day trips...just things close to home.</p>

<p>The reason I ask is because the one consistent time I have to shoot is during the worst lighting of the day, my lunch break at work. My wife leaves the house for work at 6:30 am, which leaves me responsible for our baby until it's time for me to take her to daycare and go to work myself. At the end of the day, there are pets to feed when I get home, and a baby to entertain until my wife gets home to help. Sometimes I can get out in the evening for some shots locally, with the days still being fairly long, but with autumn rapidly approaching, the days will be getting shorter quickly, and it will be dark too early to make it out in the evenings.</p>

<p>Since I'm new to all this, I'm not really sure what makes a good photographic opportunity a lot of the time, so I tend to pick obvious places near work (Princeton)...street photography in town, local natural areas for nature type shots. But with so much development in the immediate area, the things that I think are worth photographing, and are within the distance I can travel and still have time to shoot, are pretty limited. I guess I'm hoping that someone has locations locally that I haven't considered. Today I was driving around looking for inspiration, and thought it might be interesting to take pictures of the hundreds of strip mall signs in the area. That would be an interesting project for me, because it would be a project with a goal, but probably wouldn't result in pictures that are interesting in general.</p>

<p>I usually shoot digital (Canon 7D) for color and film (Pentax K1000 SE) for B&W. I typically carry both cameras at all times, though not with my full complement of lenses for the 7D.</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>Why limit yourself to <em>outdoor</em> locations ?<br>

Take a stab at still life photography. You won't be at the mercy of Ma Nature. <br>

In your area of Jersey, try to capture the overgrowth of McMansions and Yuppie Ghettos sprouting up over the remaining farmland. There's some interesting sights along the otherwise banal stretch of Rt 1 between Brunswick and Ewing. <br>

Rather than scratching your head thinking of places to shoot, think more of a <strong><em>style </em></strong>to shoot.... the subjects will come to you.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That's an interesting point. I also had a thought of taking pictures of "named" development signs that destroy their namesake, such as "Fox Run" or "Bessie's farm".</p>

<p>I'm a bit intimidated by still life, in that I suspect it would require an outlay for additional equipment, and my budget is strained right now. Plus, that's more stuff that I'd have to haul to the office daily.</p>

<p>I knocked around the idea of offering free portraits to people who were willing to let me photograph them with my studio lights (talk about hauling stuff to the office!), but being really new, I don't want to be embarrassed by the poor starting results as I learn what I'm doing.</p>

<p>Bob, if someone could have become the expert at shooting under noon light, I suspect it would have been done by now by a photographer better than me. :) I don't have any desire to be the best at anything other than the best photographer I can be.</p>

<p>I think that Gabor's suggestion of taking a stab at still life photography is an excellent idea.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm a bit intimidated by still life, in that I suspect it would require an outlay for additional equipment, and my budget is strained right now.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As much as I am also intimidated by this particular genre, it really boils down to just taking the initiative and start to explore photographic opportunities that are only limited by your own imagination.<br /> There is actually no need for the outlay of any additional equipment and there is proof of this. Check out photo.net's champion of shooting still life on a shoe string budget - <a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=956241" target="blank"> Ken Williams.</a> <br /> I'd give it a go myself, if only I wasn't so addicted to our local landscapes... ;-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The good thing about shooting on the street and in the park is that there is always the chance of getting something different. I shoot a lot in the same three parks and I'm constantly getting something different and exciting. Each time there are different people and animals (domestic and wild, the animals not the people... well sometimes the people are a little wild too).</p>

<p>Another idea is to start a project or two. I have a very good idea book called, "50 Photo Projects", by Lee Frost. B&N and Amazon both have it.</p>

<p>The problem with shooting in the middle of the day is your camera can't handle the contrast range from bright to dark. The main thing I look for when shooting at mid day are subjects that are entirely in the shade or really brightly colored subjects that pop when lit by the sun. I also think architectural shots often work well at mid day. Shooting interesting shadows is another idea. Or shoot the reflections of sunlight on water. As others have said, going indoors is still another option. </p>

Shoot subject matter which fascinates you and are curious about. For me it's people in

urban environments. That fascinates me no end. For others it could be that, or landscapes,

architecture, sports, still life, events, nature, etc.

In the end you'll do best taking things photos of things that you really care about.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Good places are just one factor of good photographs.</p>

<p>Here are my four factors to obtain a good picture</p>

<p>1 - Opportunity - Excellent places and moments. But you can make your own opportunities to shoot like macros, backyard, inhouse shooting. Abstract objects. And the obvious: your baby. Dont limit yourself, you dont need to be in the Grand Canyon to get good pictures. You can also do nighshoots, low light shooting, long exposure skies. Nocturnal clouds, lights, neons, etc.</p>

<p>2 - Talent - You dont need to be Ansel Adams, but you need to preview your picture. What I mean is this: once you have the opportunity, you need to recognize it as an opportunity. For example: you can be at the righ spot for a sunset, but not preview the situation and you missed the shot. Visualize whats going to happen and anticipate. Thats talent. Another example: sunlight gives an object an interesting lightning, do you recognize the opportunity? Many opprotunities are missed by lack of photographic vision. It requires practice and attention to details.</p>

<p>3 - Technique - First you had the opportunity, you also recognize the moment or place, now you only need to do it right. Right exposure, right iso, right angle. Everybody has stories on great opportunities messed up by bad technique, including me. So get it right. Again just practice</p>

<p>4 - Work - You had the opportunity, the talent and know exactly how to shoot a scene, but got lazy and didnt bring the camera. So, you miss the shoot. This hobby needs work or activity.</p>

<p>I have had my droughts on creativity, but keep searching the web, keep reding photography books and magazines, keep thinking and you will get back on track.</p>

<p>Time limitations are the rule for hobbiest. Just adapt to your time constrains</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You are not sure what you want to shoot, apparently your goals aren't clear. Off the top of my head, my suggestions would be to watch the movie Pecker, and then set some criteria for yourself. One criteria I use is that I want my photos to be of value over time, so I try to create photos that will be of interest fifty years from now.</p>

<p>I've been to your area, it's quite picturesc (SP?). I would create a persona for myself that would allow me to interact with people, an explanation of what I'm trying to do. I can shoot local, enviornmental (SP?) portraits this way, and then I ask myself, "Does the viewer ask 'who is that?', or does the image stand on it's own? If the viewer asks "who is that", then I know i've failed. Your criteria might be different, you might just be interested in having the person like their shot, or in pleasing your wife, or in creating a record of your child.</p>

<p>Remember, that photos are created, so they do take work. That work takes away from the present moment, with an eye towards a future result. In that sense, it is a sacrifice at the time of shooting, a price you have to be willing to pay.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>[[The reason I ask is because the one consistent time I have to shoot is during the worst lighting of the day, my lunch break at work.]]</p>

<p>It is the worst light for only certain types of photography. Good photographs can be made in any light, it's just a matter of finding them.</p>

<p>I do 90% of my shooting during my lunch hour (100% of my shooting is personal and not for income), which is the only real time I have to shoot during the week. I'm fortunate in that I work in a major metropolitan area and a fast hour-long walk can get me to very interesting areas and public transit can get me even further. I pick a direction and I go. I go in all types of weather and in all types of light. Unless you live on the equator, the light at noon is very different throughout the year.</p>

<p>My "noon light" suggestion was tongue in cheek, but only slightly.<br>

What I mean is, so much photography is simply a rehash of other photography: the old put-my-tripod-in-Ansel's-tripod-prints approach.<br>

You don't have to style yourself an expert at anything, but you'll make better photos (as others have suggested) if you pick some subjects close at hand -- and subjects that mean something to you -- and work steadily at shooting them. Develop your own expertise.<br>

No one needs to travel to far-off places to do this. (Though it's good, now and then, to refresh the creative batteries...)<br>

Mostly, have fun. Your work will show it.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. In general, I wouldn't say that I'm in a slump so much as the places I know to go I've gone so many times, I feel that there's nothing interesting there for me to see. Maybe I just need to look at those places differently and find interesting ways to shoot there.</p>

<p>John, you're right, I don't have a goal; in fact, I'm not really sure what a photography goal is. I'm also not entirely sure what kind of photographs I'd like to take, so I'm trying little bits of everything and seeing what appeals to me. So far, I do enjoy street shooting, even though I'm still pretty timid about taking pictures of strangers. I'm working on that, though, and doing more of it. I also enjoy landscapes/nature and macro photography. My most memorable photo shoot was standing motionless in the woods as two deer approached within 10 feet of me; I got some great shots of them. It was probably the only time I've ever stood that still for so long that my legs cramped up when I started to walk again. I have seen Pecker, and I own it, in fact, but I haven't watched it in a long time. It's interesting that you recommend it, because my impression of the movie (from my pre-photography hobby memory) was that it was a poke at people who take things too seriously, and focus exclusively on what's new and different, without any care for whether it's actually any good...as if new and different were the only criteria for a photograph being good. I'll have to watch it again this weekend from a new perspective.</p>

<p>I do take a lot of pictures of my baby, but they're more in the nature of snapshots than artistic. I could work on that a bit more, for sure. Not that she's easy to pose, but getting her in a situation that lends itself to artistic shots and then capturing the moments when it happens. Part of my problem here is that housework has slid by the wayside a bit, since she demands so much attention, and I don't want to memorialize and display the clutter in the background. I do have a pair of studio strobes and a backdrop, so I'm going to have to put at least the backdrop to use to take away that limitation.</p>

<p>Light at high noon is limiting, true, but you can get good light at noon. Shade and overcast skies are your friends. I especially enjoy shooting in the open shade. You have to blow the @#$% out of the background, but there's nothing wrong with that. In fact I like the look quite a lot. Forget ETTR or auto-metering. You have to do it "old-school": Meter off of your palm in the shade, and let the highlights blow out where they may. Examples <a href="http://www.graphic-fusion.com/phcherokeepipecarver.jpg">here</a> and <a href="http://www.graphic-fusion.com/phcarouselsm.jpg">here</a>.</p>

<p>Of course overcast skies need no explanation!</p>

<p>You might also carry fold-up reflectors.</p>

<p>Jay, There are some nice nurseries in your area, some with water features as well. They can be good any time of day and have shade areas as well. Also "Grounds for Sculpture is a great place to shoot and you could take the family along. You shoot, they enjoy the setting and art. The University also provdes great places to shoot candid shots. - Charles</p>