Double exposures

<blockquote>

<p>You can also use post-processing programs to accomplish the same thing (like photoshop).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And you can also engage in the real act of photography, like pull the polarizing filter off of your Hasselblad during a commercial shoot and put it at an angle in front of your iPhone..:-)...</p><div>00W6qK-232751684.jpg.6b71e9e597348bcae143f4c47580e00d.jpg</div>

<p>You can also do it manually. Setup the camera in manual mode, long exposure, use an ND filter if required.</p>

<p>Take the first exposure, cover the lens, recompose and expose the 2nd, and so on.</p>

<p>For individual short exposures, use a flash fired manually.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>doing it in camera with an SLR seems kind of pointless to me... i dont see how it could actually be doing it, and i just dont see the need to. if i want to combined exposures from my dSLR it only takes a second in photoshop. It is faster to do with my film camera though... just push the mutliple exposure tab in, turn down the EV a half or whole stop, and re-shoot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>most DSLRs have 2 or 3 exposure. for multiple exposure (>3) you might find in pro- DSLRs.<br />!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, only one Nikon model produces multiple exposures on one frame. Most DSLRs have exposure bracketing that will take multiple sequential exposures.</p>

<p>Just do it in post, you have more control.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Two to three exposures can be taken for a single photo in both the Nikon D80 and D90 DSLR's - I have both. The photos must be captured in RAW though.</p>

<p>See page 121 of the D90 manual for details. (Downloadable for fre from Nikon.)</p>

<p>Some Nikon camera bodies (the D700 and the D3) have Image Overlay, where you can take two NEF (RAW) files and merge them together in the camera, making a double-exposure.</p>

<p>The double-exposure feature is also part of the D700 and the D3, which allows you to shoot NEF or JPG files, making multiple exposures in the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Digital cameras with double exposure capability do so by overlaying successive photos, keeping only the composite. It is just as easy and far more controllable to do so in post processing.</p>

<p>I have accidently taken true double exposures on several occasions with my Hasselblad CFV digital back. It takes about 1-1/2 seconds to strip the image from the CCD and process it - far less time than it takes to wind the shutter and shoot again. The results are not pretty. On the other hand I've done many composites and HDR merges from multiple shots with the Hasselblad and other cameras. Film double exposures are dicey unless you use selective masking (e.g., a matte box), best done with large format film. Most creative film work along this line is probably done by layering film or compositing scanned images.</p>

<p>As pointed out, some cameras (film or digital) offer a multiple exposure feature. However, there are a few differences between how a film camera and a digital camera works in ME.</p>

<p>When you use a digital camera's multiple exposure, here's how it's done by you and by the camera. You pick and set an exposure value, the number of exposures (N), and release the shutter N times. The camera would *divide* the exposure value by N for each shutter release, *add* the N shots and save as one frame. On my Nikon D200, once you are in the ME mode, one shot must be taken less than 30 seconds after the previous one. If not, ME would be disabled automatically, returning you to the single shot mode. This means you cannot take one of the N shots, walk 15 minutes, and take another one.<br>

<br /> On a film camera the exposure of each N shot is completely under your control and can be changed shot by shot, and is not automatically *divided* like on a digital camera. Once in the ME mode, it will stay there until N shots are taken or when you manually reset it. This means you can set one exposure and take one of the N shots, walk 15 minutes (or wait a day), set a different exposure and take another shot, etc. My D200 has a maximum N of 10, and my film camera has a maximum N of 8. But on my film camera, I can trick it into take far more than N shots on a single frame. After N-1 shots, I can reset N to 8 again, and continue doing so. (I should mention that I have not tried this trick on my D200, nor have I tried to change exposure between shots. It takes me more than 30 seconds between shots to change the menu settings.)</p>

<p>IMHO, a film camera's ME offers far more in-camera creativity possibilities.</p>