35mm color + ps = to 35mm b&w ? shoot tomorrow please help!

<p>Hi i have my first "real" photoshoot tomorrow with a pro model<br>

my shot list only contains black and whites but i was thinking why not shoot color just in case. So the question is shooting b&w a way for purists to feel special or is there a real advantage? I have a feeling that stripping color even if you do it right will never look as good but not sure.</p>

<p>Think of B&W photography as a 'medium', not as an 'advantage'.<br>

Think of Color Photography as a 'medium', not as an 'advantage'.</p>

<p>As 'mediums', they are both photography, yet they have different characteristics, both when the image is recorded and when the print is made. And they do look different in the viewing impression.</p>

<p>Both mediums have their masters and their fans.</p>

<p>Black-and-white film, with the right filter on your lens...will give your outstanding results. If you use a digital SLR camera, and are fast at switching modes, you can get black-and-white, along with color as needed. With film, you would need two camera bodies, one for color and one for black-and-white.</p>

<p>You do not mention if you will be processing your own film, or if you have a lab that can handle black-and-white film.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Alan and Jerry, thanks! But that's not what i'm asking.<br>

Alan, thank you for that but you still haven't answered my question. I agree both mediums are great but can you tell the difference between something that was shoot on b&w film and something that was shot on color film and desaturated properly in photoshop? I tried googling this and surprisingly i can't get an answer on this.<br>

Jerry, I own 12 cameras including a canon D40 dslr which i rarely use. I've done tests and find that the latitude is much smaller than of 35mm. I mostly use my Nikon f2 35mm camera and my hasselblad 500c that takes 120 film. I use one of the best labs in LA they can do b&w, push, pull, etc.</p>

<p>The tone curve doesn't come out the same. You can do it, but it takes work - many people are under the mistaken impression that making B&W from color is simply a matter of changing in Photoshop from RGB to Grayscale, or they think that if they turn down the saturation instead they are doing something fancy. But really, doing a good color to B&W is very difficult. If you don't already have a lot of confidence in your ability to do it right, and this being your first "real" shoot (and it sounds like a paid assignment) I'd stick to the parameters given and shoot your favorite B&W film.</p>

<p>Panchromatic monochrome films (silver halide b&w negative films and C-41 process monochrome films) record colors to shades of gray in a way that many, if not most, viewers will interpret as "correct" based on having viewed many b&w photos over the years. It is possible to attain a comparable tonal range by converting color to b&w - and do so in a way that would fool most observers - but not without a skilled photo editor.</p>

<p>Long answer short: Yes, a conventional b&w negative film or C-41 process monochrome film like Ilford XP2 Super or Kodak T400CN will deliver the type of look you expect with minimal hassles.</p>

<p>Johnny please. I did not say the D40 was better than your Hassy. For goodness sake. I figured out B&W film to B&W was better than color film to B&W in my second year as a photographer. I was worried about your expertise when you asked the question in the first place. I actually thought that someone that owns that much stuff that doesn't know the answer to that question can't possibly know much about photography. I'm out. JJ</p>

<p>I like the Hue/saturation method described down on this page. Given a color file, it lets you "dial in" a filter of any color, providing density in combinations that would not be possible (or would be very difficult) without a color original and without software. But still, without doing experiments, when I want black and white, I prefer to shoot with a fine camera with B & W film in it.<br>

I just did a portrait session where I wanted both color and B & W, and I shot two Kodak Portra 160 rolls and a Fuji Neopan Arcos 100 (developed in Diafine).<br>

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/techniques/color-black-white.htm</p>

<p>I am surprised, with all the responses, that no one has really stated the most important difference. Colour and BW files are physically completely different and processed completely different. That is where the advantage/disadvantage (depending what you want to achieve) comes to the forefront. It can be the third most dramatic end of the process, first being your mind and second being the camera.</p>

<p>Colour images are created with dyes and is a completely calibrated process. Generally not much room for post manipulation with developing. Most manipulation has to be done in the printing / scanning - ps end.</p>

<p>BW images have a multitude of different emulsions having all their own quirks on curves, dynamic range, grain, etc.. There is a multitude of developers and processes and in turn produce a multitude of effects / looks. This is all before the print / scan stage is even considered.</p>

<p>I shoot mostly BW film because if I did colour / digi, there would be so much I cannot do before I scan / print. My preference in order of work is Mind,Camera, Developing, Scan, Edit, Print. The more I do in early stage, the more predictable the result. I rarely have to do any rocket-science in PS.</p>

<p>Back at your question. If you shot in Colour, with the intention of the result in monochrome, I would think your options would be vastly reduced. It's all about the options.</p>

<p>When I want to shoot, I think of how I will develop the neg before the shutter clicks. I am not a photographer that sticks to just one developer or process. I get closer to being able to imagine my real result, which is always my goal. I may actually choose shooting coulor (and converting it) if the will take me to my end. I like to know I chose the best way to get there.</p>

<p>Steve, very curious why Hasse for b&w and f2 for color?!<br>

Peter thank you for that. Just checked out your personal page. Didn't see a lot of black and whites but liked your beautiful images. Michael, i just got back my scans and believe that i can now see a difference between b&w film and color/digi, at least with my limited ps skills. If anyone is curious i've uploaded this project at <a href="johnnyroc.tumblr.com">http://johnnyroc.tumblr.com</a> Not sure if it's appropriate to post my work like that. If anyone feels like guessing which ones were shot with the Hasselblad and which ones were shot with the Nikon f2 feel free.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Peter thank you for that. Just checked out your personal page. Didn't see a lot of black and whites but liked your beautiful images.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are welcome, and thank you for point that out. I have not posted any new images in a couple of years. Forgot all about that one. ;)</p>