Photo processing labs for the average guy?

eric_mogren

<p>Hi:<br /> I am returning to film photography (black and white mostly) in a medium format after several years of digital. Years ago, I sent my print and slide films to national labs, such as Mystic Color Lab and Kodak, for processing and had good luck -- far better results than the local Photo-Hut and drugstore places.</p>

<p>While I would like to patronize a local photo lab, I live in a pretty rural area far from any photo labs. And I do not want to drop-off my 120 film to WalMart or Walgreens, etc. (I am not even sure that the kids who work the counters have even seen a roll of 120 film). In any event, even if they did offer film processing services, they would simply send the 120 film out somewhere to be processed anyway. Consequently, I think I must, once again, send my film away for processing.</p>

<p>Several posts here recommend what I am sure are fantastic labs that provide an array of breathtaking, top-shelf services. I, however, am merely an amateur shutterbug who only occasionally needs really high-end photo processing and printing (rarely do I take a photograph that I believe is worth enlarging beyond the standard print size...)</p>

<p>So, what labs can you recommend for good, dependable, consistent, photo processing for an "average Joe" like me?</p>

<p>I would like to also have the negatives scanned in a pretty high resolution, as I do not have a scanner and the photo shops I called nearest to where I live (about an hour away) do not have the ability to scan 120 negatives (they told me that they would have to send them away...). In fact, I could probably skip printing contact sheets or enlargements altogether if I could get the negatives scanned. After all, I want to share my personal pictures with friends far away.</p>

<p>Finally, as it has been some time since I last shot film (over a decade) and much has changed in the "film world" in the meantime, are there suggestions, or cautions, about film processing that you can offer?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>here we go again<br>

the "pipley faced grade-school drop out syndrome"<br>

or do they really do it in the basement of an old hog farm?"<br>

and the associates do nor " rummage around in the send out box"" to destroy your ektachome or Kodachome<br>

by "running it thru the c-41 machine"<br>

Of course the average or even the best walmart "associate": has never seen a roll of 120. NOR do they have to.<br>

as I am told HERE any film sent out from walmart goes to either Fuji or Dwaynes.<br>

I understand that the New Mystic color lab is ok, after it was re-purchased, I really do not know.<br>

What have people been telling you about walmart "send out processing"?<br>

I think "in-Store" c-41 , 35mm processing can vary. But that appies to all<br>

1 hour labs whereever they might be.</p>

<p>Mystic photo lab is still operating but now uses the name ABC Photo Lab and they are still pretty good but I use Dale Labs for all of my color negative and slide. They are superb. Their processing and customer service is great. They are at <a href="http://www.Dalelabs.com">www.Dalelabs.com</a> and ABC (Mystic) is at <a href="https://www.abcphotolab.com/index.aspx">https://www.abcphotolab.com/index.aspx</a> Give them a try.</p>

<p>When i get 35mm color film processed, i take it to my local Rite Aid and ask the clerk for the FUJI LAB processing envelope, fill it out, drop in the film, and leave it there. A driver takes the FUJI LAB envelopes to a regional FUJI LAB somewhere in the southern part of my state. They process it into very nice 4x6 color glossy prints. I usually also get a Picture CD with a JPEG copy of each exposure. I think they use a negative film scanner to make the Picture CD. A few days later the pkg arrives back at the Rite Aid for pickup. Costs $8-$11 per 24 exposure roll depending on how many prints you order, whether you get a CD, and if you are taking advantage of a Rite Aid processing special ad. In my opinion, the quality of the 4x6 color glossy prints from this Fuji Lab is better than anything else I've seen in my area. I dont mind the wait time involved since these are not urgent jobs. I don't know if they will accept 120 format. or any other MF ...</p>

<p>After I read on this forum about an employee of a drug store FIRED because he insited on following<br>

manufacturers replentishment and cleaning specs. I have been leery of small mini labs..So far though, our local store has been dependable.<br>

I don't think you could find a better lab than Fuji or Dwayenes.The price seems reasonable. A local drugstore could or could not be dependable.<br>

This is the only downside of cvhemicasl-based film photography.</p>

<p>"here we go again<br />the "pipley faced grade-school drop out syndrome"<br />or do they really do it in the basement of an old hog farm?"<br />and the associates do nor " rummage around in the send out box"" to destroy your ektachome or Kodachome<br />by "running it thru the c-41 machine"<br />Of course the average or even the best walmart "associate": has never seen a roll of 120. NOR do they have to."</p>

<p>Mr. Degroot, dude, chill out. If this question has been asked and answered already, I apologize to everyone. I am new to this website. I searched the forums, and what I saw suggested that most recommendations were for some pretty high-end places. Great processing and printing, no doubt, but with developing, printing, "postage and handling" they charge some real coin for their great services -- understandably so. I am not professionally shooting weddings, portraits, art collections, historic buildings, etc., and frankly, I am simply a hobbyest who not good enough (or rich enough) to utilize those labs regularly.</p>

<p>To be clear, I am not asking about 35mm, or color. Right now, I am interested in 120 B&W that is coming out of my new (to me) Rolleicord V. Anachronistic, perhaps, but I shot 35mm film for over thirty years and am re-discovering the film world by forcing myself to work "outside my comfort zone" a bit with 120 B&W.</p>

<p>I used Dwayne's once recently, and they seemed OK. I was asking if there are any others out there I should also consider. Plus, while I cannot patronize a local lab, I am not averse to supporting SOMEONE'S local or favorite lab. Mystic was absolutely fantastic when I used them regularly years ago for prints, and of course Kodak was always perfect for Kodachrome. I heard Mystic fell on hard times and their reputation suffered because of it. Too bad....</p>

<p>The only place that remotely works with photos in my area is Walgreens and the WalMart that drove everyone else out of business. I am not certain they do any in-house developing any more, and certainly cannot process 120 film. If they are sending my 120 film out to be processed at Dwayne's anyway, I seems easier for me to simply mail the roll directly to the lab and have them returned to my door, rather than make two trips to town.</p>

<p>I want to keep "chemical-based" photography around for a long time, too.</p>

<p>So, again, thanks for your suggestions.</p>

<p>Doesn't Wal-Mart still send out films they don't process themselves to Fuji? I bet if you use one of their envelopes and write instructions (120 FILM B&W NOT C-41!) in big letters your film will somehow end up going to Dwayne's and you'll be charged a mysteriously low price. The trick is making sure it ends up in the hands of people who understand this stuff.</p>

<p>BTW, make sure you use more than one ! when you write :) I tried to, but the stupid forum filter blocked me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I want to keep "chemical-based" photography around for a long time, too.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I second that! I hate those machines that pump out prints instantly. That dye-sublimation stuff that uses wax sucks! I hate inkjet just as much. Plus, a lot of the papers used in standard minilabs could possibly be used in the darkroom too. The wet printing is much beter.</p>

<p>Franklb&y Eric,<br>

if it's 120 B&W ad you don't wan't super high resolution big sized prints but just a way to share your pictures you may give home processing a try. It's not that hard to do and the total cost for some developer, stop and fix is about $30. so after 3 or 4 films you're in the clear.<br>

Together with a relatively cheap flatbed scanner like a canoscan 8800, which costs around us$ 180 you can get your own scanning and printing done.<br>

Otherwise I guess Dwayne's is a viable option.</p>

<p>Walmart does 35mm C-41 processing on their minilab, if you ask for one-hour service. Everything else is sent to Dwayne's or Fuji.<br>

You don't have to hand your film to the employee at the photo counter. Just find the film drop-off kiosk, write the type of film and any specific instructions on the film envelope ("SPECIAL 2-WEEK PROCESSING. E6 120 FILM. DO NOT MOUNT."), and drop it off in the slot. Come back in two weeks and get your slides/prints/negatives a the counter.<br>

I develop my own B&W, but I've used Walmart many times for C41 and E6 in medium format.<br>

Search for "Walmart 120" if you want to find some previous discussions on this topic.</p>

<p>This is all for color. For B&W, I'd do it at home. So much cheaper AND better.<br>

While I used to be an advocate of Target, since the local one did nice developing with a minimum of scratches and decent 4x6 scans for about $3, I no longer go there. Every other non-pro lab in the new area I live is a mess - Target included. There is a pro-lab in the center of the city, but they are only open during the work day, and its a 30 min drive each way. So, I do mail order now.</p>

<p>I'd skip the prints if I were you unless you really want them. Get the low/med resolution scans (something around 1200x1800) which is great for a 4x6. Then you can send the keepers wherever you want for prints. You can also use them as a guide to determine which photos you want to scan at home at a higher resolution for larger prints. This of course assumes you have a scanner at home.</p>

<p>For about $9/roll, you get free outgoing shipping and mailers, development, scans, and the negatives are returned in negative sheets.</p>

<p>I personally use photoworks sf. They've been good to me. People seem to like north coast photo as well:<br /> http://photoworkssf.com/<br /> http://www.northcoastphoto.com/film_developing_scans.html</p>

<p>Why not try Kodak BW400CN or Ilford XP-2 Super? Both are available in 120. They are developed in C-41 chemistry. I think you'll have better luck finding a good, not-too-expensive C-41 processor than you will finding a good traditional B+W processor who's not too expensive. Your color and B+W negative films can go together to the same place.<br /> I don't shoot B+W much, though I'd like to do more, and procuring and setting up a darkroom isn't practical now. So I use BW400CN, and think it's a nice all-round film.<br /> I usually use Swan Photo. I can even drop my film off at my local camera shop as Swan still has pickup and delivery.<br>

www.swanphotolabs.com</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Update:<br>

I sent two rolls of Kodak Tri X 400 to Dwayne's recently. Both rolls came back with huge parallel scratches on the negatives, in the same location on both rolls -- totally ruined both rolls. Never again will I use Dwayne's for anything. I initially feared that that the problem was in the transport of the camera, so I sent a roll to North Coast and had great results, no scratches -- so they get my business from now on.</p>