Do you "admit" to being a photographer?

LindaM

<p>I was recently reading an exchange between two very talented PN members. One stated that he just might be turning into a "real" photographer. The other shared his reluctance to say that he is a photographer. I can relate to both of these gentlemen. I have an expensive camera and an arsenal of lenses, but if anyone asks me if I am a photographer, I tend to make excuses and usually end up saying something along the line of "it's just an expensive hobby." I am not a "professional" photographer, but I occasionally do some freelance work, and I often use my photography in my job publishing a regional thoroughbred magazine. I think my denial of being a "real" photographer comes down to lack of confidence in my skills and level of knowledge. So I am curious, how many of you when asked are proud to say you are a photographer, or do you shy away from admitting you are one?</p>

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Out of curiosity, do you have a link to this discussion?</p>

<p>I am wondering what actually constitutes a "real" photographer. You don't have to be a professional photographer to be a "real" one. However, having a lot of equipment does not necessarily make you one either though. It' is what you do with it, rather than how much you have.</p>

<p>I do a fair amount of for hire work, but not full time as I don't want to have to work that hard to maintain my current standard of living I enjoy with my job. Besides, then it becomes more like work and less like fun. But if someone asks me if I am a photographer, I don't hesitate to say yes, and hand them a business card, which I carry a bunch of in my pocket all the time. :-)</p>

<p>Linda,</p>

<p>I used to teach in a public school. I taught photography, videography and some rather useless, but required courses. I always told people I was a photographer. In the U.S., photographer has a higher status than teacher -- at least to those people who know what is going on in our educational system.</p>

<p>I did teach photography out of the public school system, too. I still told people I was a photographer. Sometimes I did say artist, as they are not always synonymous in many people's minds -- for good reason.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>I think if you are doing work for hire, do it as an avid amateur (consumes your free time) or it is your passion (and you have a high level of skill) then you are probably a photographer. Before I did it full time, I considered myself a photographer and even before I had representation as an amateur. I think it is a state of mind as well as a career thing.</p>

<p>You're using terms that obviously mean something to you: "real photographer," "photographer," and "professional." These terms mean something to me as well, but you and I might not have the same definitions. Without being on the same page regarding the meaning of these terms, I can't respond to your post, which at its heart rests on the meaning of these terms.</p>

<p>You know it really depends upon who's asking. I like to sidestep that question and change the subject if the other person looks like he or she is going to make it a "I am a photographer too, I shoot Canon what do you shoot, oh we have something in common, here's my free vistaprint business card, look at my website" conversation. I think I'm cynical about that though.<br>

<br /> If I feel like it's going to be worth my time - not just speaking of future monetary gains - I'll take the bait and tell them, yeah, I do shoot professionally, why do you ask?<br>

I don't mind talking to people about what I do, but when it comes to the "tool list" stuff, I'm just not interested that much unless I'm in an intelligent conversation with someone whose work I enjoy or at least respect. I knew this one "pro" who bragged on his equipment and showed it all off to me one time when I was over at his house.. his brand new body, a brand new lesser backup, his brand new flash, his brand new lenses, his expensive and brand new flash battery pack, his brand new tripod, etc.<br>

And his images reflected his obsession with the tools and not the trade.<br>

I think that experience jaded me to a lot of conversations I might have had about being a photographer.</p>

<p>Linda, good mental health is when <em><strong>you </strong> </em> define who, and what, you are. Absolutely no one on the forum or, probably, anywhere else, can do that for you.</p>

<p>So....introspect a little then find a word that fits what you come up with. Everyone will love and respect it.......Regards, Robert</p>

Linda, I struggled with this question before deciding what the h*ll, I AM a photographer. That's where my heart is, that's where most of my

energy goes and comes from, that's what I'm most interested in. It's the best part of me. I'm not a professional, I sell a little, exhibit

wherever I can, take fewer pictures than anybody I know (partly because I shoot film). Friends introduce me to their friends as a photographer.<br>

<br>

So, it's not a big deal, any more. Yeah, I'm a photographer.

<p>Linda,</p>

<p>What constitutes a real photographer? That's really not too hard to come up with. Let's see ... you don't need a degree or any schooling of any kind -- there's no union -- there's no certificate -- you don't have to pass a test -- you are not licensed by any board. No problem ... you just need a business card.</p>

<p>No, you don't have to trade in your Canon for a Nikon to be a real photographer. At least, I don't think you do.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>Sure I'm a photographer and so are you. There are good photographers and there are bad photographers, just as there are good drivers and there are bad drivers. Even within the realm of "professional" photographers (and drivers...) there are good and bad.</p>

<p>If photography is what you do as anything more than recording mementos, then you're a photographer.</p>

<p>Mark, I already own Nikon cameras, so I am in luck there! :-) I think you and a couple others are getting close to the heart of the matter for me at least. "Photographer" does mean different things to different people, and if I answer that yes I am a photographer, will I then be stuck explaining why I can't (or don't want to) shoot their cousin's wedding? I do tend to think of myself more as an artist, another term that means different things to different people. I don't need anybody's permission to call myself a photographer. I was just wondering how many of my fellow PNers are uncomfortable with the question.</p>

<p>

<p>If you take photographers you are a photographer. People who would like to reserve the name for something other then one who takes photographs should really come up with a different name, perhaps photographic artis,t if they really feel the need to separate themselves from the billions of other photographers in the world.</p>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=3940189">Damon D'Amato</a> <a href="/member-status-icons"></a>, Jan 03, 2010; 04:21 p.m.</p>

<p>If I cook, does that make me a chef?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, it make you the cook, in the same way as you are the photographer who took the photos that you did.</p>

<p>If you cook, you are a cook (admittedly, you may be a bad cook);</p>

<p>If you read books, you're a reader; and</p>

<p>If you take photographs, I'd say that you are a photographer (and you may be a bad or good photographer at varying times, we all are). I guess it comes down to what you and your viewers actually think of your photography, doesn't it?</p>

<p>No, I don't admit to it, I deny it. And I'm right.</p>

<p>I just take pictures, some I'm happy with, most not.</p>

<p>I think a photographer is someone that is skilled, knowledgeable and able to determine how to utilize all of the elements in a scene, in order to create the greatest visual effect.</p>

<p>I give it my best, but I'm afraid my taste is all in my mouth. Some have ability, some don't. I don't.</p>

<p>But I love taking pictures. (:>)</p>

<p>Patrick</p>