Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC #42

jose_angel

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Good morning everybody.<br>

It is already Thursday here in Norway, and I have not yet posted an image. In order to keep this thread size low, I will not post this week.</p>

<p>However, I'll be lurking around, an might come with some comments during the weekend.</p>

<p>Have a nice day, everybody.</p>

<p>As always, this thread is remarkably stimulating... Great contributions by everyone. These are the ones that particularly got my attention:<br>

@René, your war scene under the arch<br /> @Alejandro, the Pontiac hood ornament is electric<br /> @Darko, shooting, your selective focus on the gunsight<br /> @Jeannean, the furry caterpillar<br /> @Gary, the night sky at Bala lake<br /> @Dave, the aurora<br /> @Janne, over-ripe apples<br /> @Richard, the nuthatch<br /> @Gwen, the farm scene looks like an "old master" painting<br /> @Doug, that a fab hummingbird shot<br /> @Keerthi, I really like the red lily about to bloom<br /> @Tony, Bennet lake image<br /> @Kent, cat portrait at (?) bowling alley... It's very funny.<br /> @Waldemar, snail on red fruit<br /> @Brian, hey, I know that spot in the public garden!</p>

<p>And, I thought the most remarkable photo I've seen in a long time:<br /> @Tiffany, lovely mana and child, this is really a home run. Congratulations!</p>

<p>Some amazing shots this week. First and foremost, welcome to those posting for the first time. Photos that caught my eye this week are:<br>

Alejandro - Very nice, the lit ornament against the black and silver is so eye catchning.<br>

Jeannean- reminds me of one of those little fluffy dogs that you see people running around with. Cute!<br>

Richard- nice composition on the nuthatch<br>

Matt- that is a wonderful portriat of the breeder and puppy. Sure hope it is hanging up somewhere in her house.<br>

Doug- you really nailed the iridescence of the hummingbird!!<br>

Ertugrul- The pastel coloring is so beautiful to behold.<br>

Maurice- You've captured so many elements in that sunset/silhouette. Very nice.<br>

Steve- simple but effective.<br>

Tiffany- Great Job!! I'm sure that is hanging in a place of honor in your subjects house.<br>

Andrew- what a fun/cute capture of lizard.<br>

Waldemar- Nice sharp picture of the snail. The pop of color really makes it stand out.<br>

Lance- Nice! I love the sharp contrast and crispness.<br>

And finally........when I saw Gary's star shot, I thought this is it, my favorite for the week and then two posts later Dave comes in with his northern lights shot. My hat is off to both of you for great shots. Well Done!!!</p>

<p>Till next Wednesday:<br>

<strong>Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts.</strong><br>

-Walter Evans- (American photographer 1903-1975)</p>

<p>Hi all,<br>

First of all thanks to those that commented on my photo.<br>

Every Wednesday I see the bar raised, here are some of the photos that caught my eye..<br>

Benjamin Schaefer...excellent portrait<br>

Matt Laur...nice b&w<br>

Dieter Schaefer...wow<br>

Brandon Wu...really like the kind of steamy atomsphere<br>

Tiffany Brook..excellent tones..nice lighting..excellent pose..my favorite photo this week<br>

Kevin Cassar...nice portrait..excellent colours and DOF..keep it up and H'Birthday Nathan<br>

Robert Cooper...Right out of an Aliens movie<br>

Evan..I used a single SB600 to the right and up of my daughter, and a reflector on the left side and down to fill in the eyes and shadows. This photo was taken after my daughter came from a party where they had face painting done on them, she was tired and I only took 4 shots before she got really bored. I really had no time to setup this shoot and plan..in hindsight I should have diffused the SB 600 and made more fill..also the pose could be better, her eyes could be more engaging but thats all I had to work with and I took my shot.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>It’s back to business</strong></p>

<p>A lot of folks work hard and have much pride in these photos. The discussion is important to many.</p>

<p>Jose – your post is making me think about what UV filters are doing to my shots. A left over from film days<br /> Rene – I’d take a lens over a flight any day. Sorry about the missed flight.<br /> Alejandro – unbeatable detail in your shot. Very sharp.<br /> Hamish – thanks for the detail in post processing<br /> Luis – nice documentary shot.<br /> Lil – I have a new found respect for your work across the board.<br /> Darko – interesting how yoy lined up the shot<br /> Marc – you did such a great job making the shot so solemn that I almost missed the bug. Eric – your right about the vibrant colors<br /> Jeannean – all of your macros show a special touch. Their better than anything I could do in the macro world.<br /> Gary – this came out super. What a great job on the exposure. How did you time it?<br /> Andy – good use of constracting elements and colors<br /> Dave – this is the most dramatic shot of the aurora I’ve seen. 7/7<br /> Aaron – super lighting makes you photo.<br /> Matthew – perfect.- The photo just screams Country<br /> Ian – pardon the pun, but your shot is up there with the best.<br /> Oskar – yes it a good shot. I like it, nice job composing it.<br /> Janne – so can do so much with light. I’ve must play with strobes more.<br /> Darrell – good time exposure lighten the sky and dragged the lights on the highway. Made it work well.<br /> Jana – different the way you set the dice up. Good idea carried out well.<br /> Monika – your shots from Italy are superb.<br /> Pedro – well lit. Keep playing with the macro and lighting.<br /> MS – nice sharp cityscape. Its clear and crisp.<br /> Cees – pretty deep contrast<br /> Justin – that a classic bike. Like the low angle you took<br /> Ken – you’re becoming one of the masters of the Wednesday thread<br /> Ray – pretty vivid color<br /> Igor – makes you feel the flavor of the scene.<br /> Kemal – wide angle fireworks. with a perfect exposure brings out delicate detail<br /> Aguinaldo – what a find that field was. I can relate to the wife waiting.<br /> Erik – beautiful oldies, how hard was it in those days. Good find.<br /> Bogdan – film captures the little things. The shadows work nicely.<br /> Robert – I’m always a fan of exaggerated perspective<br /> Ilkka – very tranquil shot. Nice shutter drag to blur the water.<br /> Sjoerd – you set that one up nicely<br /> Richard – good job on the wildlife capture, Clear telephoto<br /> Thomas – the lighting gives the clown an scary look. It’s ornate<br /> Rick – you nailed the focus manually in the macro<br /> Francesco – welcome to the thread. Artsy shot that has a painting like quality to it.<br /> Raaj – the hard elements and soft colors blend well<br /> Murali – different and interesting wildlife.<br /> Andres – love fall colors. The shadows on the side of the pumpkins add a nice element<br /> Joe – street photography captured extremely well<br /> Susan – where have you been? Excellent wedding shot as usual<br /> Jonas – you found the same clouds as me<br /> Uzay – your angle of view makes this a classic.<br /> Wayne – the sky color brings out the other colors. Proportioned properly<br /> Lawrence - fun find<br /> Jim – the pup looks playful<br /> Benjamin – tremendous amount of work into a strong portrait.<br /> Eddy – the use of a silhouette type view works extremely well with the water spray<br /> William – simply put – I like it<br /> Charles – has a abstract flavor<br /> Paul – the purple and gold mix well<br /> Mark – excellent example of using fill flash outdoors.<br /> Mark – I wondered about CAD printers<br /> Gwen – not bad for highway shot at 65 mph<br /> Dallas – your about to take the trip I dream about<br /> Jens – super workplace capture. Nostalgic flavor make it interesting<br /> Steven – try shooting in raw so you can lighten it in post. Put copyright on bottom<br /> Phil – the b&w conversation you used gives it a an old time nostalgic effect<br /> Matt – you should wriye a book on the Nikon CLS. I’m on line to buy it.<br /> Dieter – one of the more dramatic air show shots on Pnet<br /> Dan – its funny that they have the same sleepy looks that my cats have.<br /> Dennis – nice shot, you have to go back when there’s more fall color in the leaves, it’s a wonderful place.<br /> John – where do you find all these classic cars? It must a fun love affair.<br /> Nish – how did you get the people to spread out so evenly?<br /> David – never happen in my hours, their so afraid of water,<br /> Doug – your technique works well, spot meter, and shutter Priority produced a perfect shot.<br /> Keerthi – everything works well here. This may be your best shot yet.<br /> Paul – I got excited when I saw Nikkormat.. I have 3 of them myself including an EL<br /> Roberta – you’re a member of the macro masters club. The red eyes pop.<br /> Peter – the 1.4 has such a narrow DOF, you used it well<br /> John – it came out nicely. Takes me back to the fun days when all I shot was Tri-x<br /> Phil – Gary days are tough ones to work with. Nice effort<br /> Wade – very tranquil setting<br /> Alex – nice job eliminating shadows with the lighting<br /> Christopher – nicely framed and proportioned<br /> Randy – very nicely done. Right mix of elements and technique<br /> Mike – simply superb. Excellent job on the post processing<br /> Jeffery – I can relate. It’s been crummy weather around here also<br /> Paula – what a beautiful place you took a walk in.<br /> Eric – good graphics on the interior shot<br /> Temi – caught a interesting expression.<br /> Ofey – good documentary shot of the piece<br /> Wayne – classic skyline shot well exposed<br /> Brandon – interesting abstract, smooth features<br /> Britta – you never know when something is going to pop up.<br /> Tony – extremely well done. Excellent shot, everything mixes perfectly and dynamically<br /> Bryan meadows – nice shot, just wish you zoomed out a bit more to include the whole building top to bottom.<br /> Ertugrul – This is the most interesting shot on the thread this week. This one belongs in National Geographic.<br /> Maurice – I’d framed and put it on a wall. Excellent job<br /> Benjamin – interesting the way you framed the shot.<br /> Steve – you solved a difficult situation, good post processing<br /> Larry – you created a classic railroad shot<br /> Chauncey – excellent close-up. Great detail in the eyes<br /> Steve – I like the way the wet shore is reflecting everything as the wave rolls back.<br /> Dave – very different, I could not figure it out till I read the caption. Good detail<br /> Tiffany – as you can tell by the other comments, you have a real talent.<br /> Andrew – that super capture. Love hoe the soft bachground really makes him stand out. Super sharp detail.<br /> Jon – I liked this one as soon as I saw it. What a nice use of B&W. Well done<br /> Kent – what a puss J, couldn’t resist<br /> Homer – super landscape, worth getting up early for.<br /> Graham – he looks like a crusty character.<br /> Waldemar – good find, nice colors<br /> Wouter – the tones flow well in B&W. good choice<br /> Heath – creative<br /> Filip – I bet that there are 3 other photos just like this one.<br /> Barry – super. The colors and lighting make an ideal shot of the chairs.<br /> Jeff – I really like how the rising fog/mist makes the photo<br /> Ernie – good night exposure.<br /> Nick – this is a great wildlife capture. Great clarity and stop action<br /> Kevin – what a bright eyed kid. Children are just so much fun to take pictures of.<br /> Peter – I like how the out of focus flowers sets up the rest of the shot<br /> Jay – nice shot. Check your white balance<br /> Wenshu – you must miss NM so much. Nice landscape<br /> Louis – nice B&W shot. Makes the white tiger stand out<br /> Richard – Is that by New Haven?<br /> Michael – the lighting and shadows add to the photo<br /> Hans – Nostalgic capture from a different time.<br /> Rick – make it look like he’s walking on water<br /> Robert – so you got the new lens down pat already.<br /> Brian – tranquil and peaceful cityscape<br /> Bernard – no apologies needed – nice shot, must be interesting to travel to places like that<br /> Chad – tender shot of your other half<br /> Barry – colorful character<br /> Jason – the weather can make things difficult<br /> Evan – looks like the hike was well worth it<br /> Lance – b&w macro is different<br /> Josh – available light exposure on the head</p>

<p>So business as usual.<br>

The main point is that a lot of work and effort is put into these shots and they need to be acknowledged and encouraged.<br /> <strong>Lil, Roberta and Jeannean</strong> you are all the best for all the encouragement that you have given and are greatly appreciated by many for doing it. Its a lot of work</p>

<p>Joseph, thanks for bringing the long comments "as they were", and thanks for the comment on my contribution for this week.</p>

<p>There are a great many pictures to like this week. The lovely city of Toledo, Cees' gorgeous piece of Netherlands (don't make me homesick!), many great portraits, truly awesome macroshots, and some showing off those great colours of fall. To me the fall colours always have been one of the great moments for nature photography - and a lot of you show why, and make me miss the colours. Thanks to all for sharing your view on your world!<br>

Instead of a long list of comments, I reverted to a weekly favourite. Many runner-ups this week, though. Dave Greenidge's gorgeous Aurora, Eddy Furlong's great fountain shot, Christopher Thompson's very original duck photo, Homer Arment's almost surreal landscape, and Matt Laur, keep posting dogs, great lightwork on this one.<br>

But there can be only one, and it is hard to choose... For me it's the photo of Ertugrul Kilic, it is indeed National Geographic material, as already said above. Great photo, both in its composition as in its ability to convey a story.</p>

<p>3 month old English Golden Retriever......... during her few moments of rest</p>

<blockquote>

<p>2009-08-09-bella-107655c.psd - Nikon D300 <br /> 2009-08-09 17:11:42 - (lens_ 50mm f/1.8) <br /> 1/180s <a title="Sunny-16 f/stop, aperture, ISO table" href="http://localhost/answers/support/fstop.html" target="_blank" title="Sunny-16 f/stop, aperture, ISO table">f</a> /8 - ISO-200 - 50mm (x1.5=75mm )<br /> Exp: Man.Multi-segment. -1 step. (Flash:NoReturn)<br /> AdobeRGB - JPG - 11 MB - Auto <br /> Size: 2976x1984 pixels - 48% crop<br /> Orig: 4288x2848 pixels - Res: 300x300dpi</p>

</blockquote><div>00Uky6-180715584.jpg.7ddfca37d691a14d0b2091a8d102d651.jpg</div>

<p>Hello everyone, some absolutely amazing shots by all. This thread has made me try macro and pushes me to learn and grow. So thank you all! Thanks to all that comment, it is encouraging .<br>

Jose - Lovely picture and thank you for the tour of Spain. <br>

Rene - Looks so realistic as if happening now and not a picture capturing the past<br>

Joseph - So peaceful and serene. You have captured the shades of blue beautifully<br>

Alejandro - This is so unique . It looks like a piece of amber. You must have been thrilled when the owner showed you this!<br>

Hamish - So cold looking , beautiful sky.<br>

Luis - Very interesting . So did you try and put the skull together.<br>

Lil - Your daughter picked well . So very lovely<br>

Darko - Great angle, feels like I am looking down the barrel of the gun.<br>

Marc - Nice catch. <br>

Eric - Must have been very interesting battle. Agree about the colors and the message<br>

Jeannean - So sharp and the colors are wonderful. It looks like strands of silk thread. very nice<br>

Gary - What a sky, very nice<br>

Andy - Love the contrast of the tree with the colors of the building and the sky<br>

Dave - My dream trip is go to Alaska and experience what you have captured so beautifully<br>

Aaron - Very nice lighting <br>

Matthew - It matters not what they are , they are very lovely in this landscape.<br>

Ian - Very nice. Like the ballon close in the lower left and the one flying away in the upper right<br>

Oskar - You have managed to make cold stone look so soft , warm and beautiful<br>

Janne - Nice shadows.<br>

Darrell - I have always heard that San Diego is one of the most beautiful places. You have captured that in this photo.<br>

Jana - Very nice tones to the hand. <br>

Monika - I really like this shot. There is something very lively feeling about this .<br>

Pedro - Don't you just love that lens! Very nice <br>

MS Keil - Very nice view. <br>

Jonas - At least you have a window and your camera with you!<br>

Cees - Your tones give it the old feel, very nice<br>

Justin - Nice bike, like the textures of the smooth chrome and rough wall<br>

Ken - Lovely colors and the sense of motion on the water<br>

Ray - Makes you feel as if the leaves are changing right before your eyes<br>

Igor - Makes me want to know what they are displaying<br>

Kemal - Love the fireworks and just one color against the night sky, very nice<br>

Aguinaldo - What a wonderful shot!<br>

Erik - Something about the past and the charm and character you have captured. Wonder what images they culd tell stories about if they could.<br>

Bogdan - I have to ask, where was this taken. Very interesting.<br>

Robert - Amazing how wonderful you have make this headlight look<br>

Ilkka - Lovely stream . Love the green moss and how it is highlighted<br>

Sjoerd - Ones eye just follows the track , nice<br>

Richard - Beautiful and sharp. Sometimes all we have to do is look in our own yards for wonderful subjects</p>

<p>Thomas - Even though he is smiling, he looks evil!<br>

Rick - Very nice. Amazing what we can learn from a photo<br>

Francesco - I have not tried HDR, but wow, this makes me want to!<br>

Raaj - Beautiful colors<br>

Murali - It's all about attitude! Very nice capture<br>

Andres - Nice dof <br>

Susan - I'm wondering if the girl in the front fell on her face. Nice shot<br>

Uzay - Very very nice. Love the angle and the reflection<br>

Wayne - One day I will see the leaves change. Very nice<br>

Lawrence - Looks like fall<br>

Jim - Love this . Looks like he is saying are you going to pick me up or not!<br>

Benjamin - Very strong looking photo. Very nice<br>

Eddy - Love the look of the water<br>

William - He does look as if he wants you to come in the water<br>

Charles - Very nice , amazing what you have done with a blue sky and white building<br>

Paul- Beautiful colors!<br>

Mark Gordon- Practice???? This is so nice and a beautiful wife<br>

Mark - Sometimes we just have to pretend<br>

Gwen - Great photo especially under the circumstances<br>

Dallas - I think many of us are envious of your upcoming schedule. Nice picture showing the shades of the ocean<br>

Jens - Love the glow and the blurr of the hammer. <br>

Steven - While not my sport, nice shot!<br>

Tim - Love the shadow of the guy walking<br>

Phil - Hope the tree makes it also. Nice shot<br>

Matt - Your love of dogs and photography always comes through.<br>

Dieter - Looks like a starburst<br>

Dan - Nice capture <br>

Dennis - Love the reflections<br>

John - Like the feel of the stripes around the wheel<br>

Nish - Looks like all had fun at the pumpkin patch<br>

David - My cat would probably shred me if I put her near water. <br>

Doug - Beautiful soft pastels with the iridescent bird<br>

Keerthi - Lovely colors<br>

Paul - Looks like you had fun<br>

Peter - Welcome! Love the look on this little guy. Nice shot<br>

John - Very nice black and white!<br>

Phil - Love the fall colors<br>

Wade - Welcome ! Very nice . Draws the eye down the road<br>

Alex - Lovely shot <br>

Christopher - Love the perspective on this. It maybe my monitor, but I don't see the hidden turtle, where is ti<br>

Randy - I have yet to try the slow exposure. You did very well<br>

Mike - Very nice! Something else to put on my learn to do list <br>

Jeffrey - Beautiful garden<br>

Paula - I feel as if I am looking out the window on this scene. Very real looking<br>

Eric - Nice architectural shot<br>

Temi - Very nice<br>

Ofey - Very nice and shows how nicely the patina<br>

Wayne - Another city I want to visit. Very nice<br>

Brandon - Belated welcome - Love your take on very ordinary objects<br>

Britta - Welcome - Very sharp and nice capture<br>

Tony - Very nice. What did you do to get the clouds to look as if they are in motion.<br>

Bryan - Nice backyard!<br>

Adrea - I don't see your picture<br>

Ertugrul - Very nice shot , very interesting with only a few standing<br>

Maurice - Very nice, the pelican the orange glow, very nice<br>

Benjamin - Nice fun shot<br>

Steve - Love the sunflowers and the colors<br>

Larry - Very nice !<br>

Chauncey - Nice photo<br>

Steve, - Love the birds, the water very nice<br>

DAve - Must have been a really cold one, with all that ice<br>

Tiffany - This is really beautiful!<br>

Andrew - I really love this guy. Great shot<br>

Jon - I'm drawn down the track, so nice<br>

Kent - Such fun - I immediately think of Alice in Wonderland<br>

Homer - Absolutely beautiful.<br>

Graham - Love the shots of people just doing what they do<br>

Waldemar - Wonderful, you see the grains of dirt, sense his slow movement.<br>

Wouter - I like the tones and the feel of the knowing something is happening <br>

Heath- Is heart burn your message? <br>

Filip - Fun fun shot<br>

Barry - Great light on the chairs<br>

Jeff - Love the light filtering through the trees<br>

Ernie - Wonderful colors. Must add try night shots to my list also<br>

Nick - Very nice shot. <br>

Anita - Welcome and enjoy your new camera and post here<br>

Kevin - Happy birthday to your lovely son. Great shot<br>

Peter - Beautiful shot from the purple flowers t the changing trees on the mountain in the backgroud.<br>

Jay - Love the fall colors<br>

Wenshu - Nice shot even without the birds!<br>

Louis - Nice white tiger. We have one in our zoo here and they are beautiful animals.<br>

Richard - Nice light and nice portrait!<br>

Michael - This one tugs at my heart. Love it.<br>

Hans - Makes me wonder if Martha Jean was the dangerous one!<br>

Rick - What a fun capture<br>

Robert - I'll have nightmare tonight!<br>

Brian - Very nice and does look like a beautiful day<br>

Bernard- Absolutely beautiful. You make me want to get the 85mm lens!<br>

Chad - Nice picture<br>

Barry - Beautiful colors and detail<br>

Jason - Oregon to Atlanta, long trip . Nice shot<br>

Evan - Very nice , beautiful colors and motion<br>

Lance - Love the black background. <br>

Josh - Nice capture<br>

Lester - Nice scene<br>

Pre-Christian - You sense the activity and my eye follows the rails.<br>

Robert - So nice, sharp and soft at the same time.<br>

I certainly hope I did not miss anyone. Please forgive me if I did. <br>

Until next Wednesday!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Joseph: Thanks for the advice on shooting raw, I'll try it on a few shots next time and see if it makes a difference. Its going to fill my card up really quick! The copyright is something I've been unsure about... There doesn't seem to be a right way to do this? I am worried that someone will just crop the picture if the copyright isn't in the middle... it does spoil the pic though! Any advice?</p>

<p>@Roberta, thanks for your comment.</p>

<p>

<p><strong>Congratulations to everybody</strong> for such an excellent work. Also, <strong>THANK YOU ALL</strong> for sharing your work and giving us so much fun and inspiration.</p>

<p><strong>Kevin Cassar, Richard Karash</strong> and <strong>Roberta Davidson….</strong> Thank you for your nice comments.</p>

<p><strong>Dave Greenidge…</strong> Thank you for your good wishes but I'm still here in Prague. i will fly on Monday. This time I will make sure I am at the airport at least 4 hours earlier! :)</p>

<p><strong>Joseph Leotta…</strong> Thank you! I know what you mean. It costed me 1,000 USD coz i couldn't get refund on my ticket and then i had to buy a 1 way ticket which is more than what I paid for the round trip. Ahhh! seriously, I could had bought an AF 85 f/1.4 which i really which!</p>

<p>And what I call eye catchers:<br>

<strong>Jose angel, Jeannean Buglady, Gary McGhee, Dave Greenidge, Aaron Bonnici, Jana Hughes, Ikka Nissila, Richard Armstrong, Thomas Schnaider, Paul V. Gorky, Matt Laur, Dieter Schaefer, Mike Mason, Tony Hadley, Tiffany Brook, Homer Arment, Nick Doronin</strong> and <strong>Robert Bod</strong><strong>y.</strong></p>

<p>For sure, I will be home for #43... I have no money left if I miss the plane again! See you all WeDNeSDaY! Cheers!</p>

</p>

<p>Thank you Joseph and Roberta for taking the time to comment on each contribution. It takes a LOT of time given the number of photos posted each week, something I'm running short of lately. I know first hand (thank you all), how encouraging a kind word can be. While some may look at it as "gratuitous praise" and/or a nuisance to page loading or scrolling through, it also can be viewed as plain and simple kindness. A few words to each person noting their contribution, is well worth the bandwidth it may take up (IMO). So again, thank you. I too found something enjoyable in each photo, and with your comments, saw a different perspective in quite a few. That's valuable too. (This applies to anyone who makes comments. If you don't have the time or inclination to comment, that's ok too. It's not required, nor expected by anyone.)</p>

<p>On a completely different note, some may notice a slight name change for me. This was done in response to Lex's comment about "googling your name" in the Wednesday Pic discussion thread. For many, that's a great thing, but I felt it put me "out there" a bit more than I cared to be. I couldn't think of a good replacement for my last name, so came up with "Buglady", since that's what my neighbors and friends have started calling me. ;-)</p>

<p>Until next Wednesday...happy shooting!</p>

<p> </p>