Shelf life of Kodak powder Fixer and HypoClear

dan_n1

<p>hi all,</p>

<p>A friend gave me an couple unopened packs of Kodak powder Fixer and HypoClear circa 2005/2006. I read articles on the net (and this forum).. some of them say it's OK to use, some of them say do not take risk, toss them..</p>

<p>could anyone confirm toss of no toss?</p>

<p>many thanks in advance</p>

<p>I would think it would be fine in powder but obviously no one can answer definitively.</p>

<p>I routinely use old chemicals, although it certainly doesn't reflect "best practices".</p>

<p>It also throws a variable into the processes that you don't want if possible.</p>

<p>thank you Bruce,<br>

my thinking is that should be a good reason for Kodak to put expiration date on the package, but user's practice vary widely.<br>

After thinking a bit more I don't think it's safe to save a few bucks using outdated film developer. paper developer and fixer..(You and other may not agree on this according to experiences)<br>

On the other hand I think it's OK to use outdated HypoClear because some of us don't use it at all... so what harm can be done?...<br>

thanks again</p>

<p>To me it would be fine. I have a batch of developer and fixer 5 years over date. I did one role to try out, gave it an extra 30 seconds in my rotary processor and it's fine. Have been using it for half a year now with tens of rolls. No issues.</p>

<p>Just do a test roll and see.</p>

<p>I have used Kodak Fixer and Developers that were had dates that were 40 YEARS old. They worked just fine. They were powders that were not clumped. I also don't know how to test hypo clear but it should be more stable then developer. So don't worry.<br>

Most companies that put date on their packages pick the time they are good for at random. Have you ever noticed that a bottle of water will have an expiration date of December 18, 2010. Do you really think it is good on the 17th and bad on the 19th? Sometimes they set the date other ways. For example a Vitamin C pill may be labeled as 500mg but made with 525mg actually in it. They test it and find that after 2 years it has only 499mg. Therefore they give their bottle a 2 year date. But what is special about 500mg. For you 400 should work just as well as 500. When it comes to photo chemicals each time you use it you use up some and it is no longer as good as new. If you put several sheet of paper or film through a tray each one will see a little different concentration. So new 2009 fixer may be good for the say 40 sheet per tray but your expired one may only last 38 sheets.</p>