Broke my 5th camera. (A point and shoot) What do I buy now?

tcalbaz

<p>Hi all,<br>

One of my friends is asking for help choosing a point and shoot pocket camera to buy. <br>

Here is his request:<br>

…I am looking to buy a digital camera again, mine broke once again…my 5<sup>th</sup> camera now! I have always enjoyed Casio as it takes great pics, is very fast to reset for additional pics, and has many very nifty settings for different lightings, shutter speeds, etc. It is also not too expensive. This time I still want to keep fairly small but wish to have a bigger zoom, like at least 5 or 7X, maybe even 10x. ... <br>

My friend is a decent casual photographer. He likes to travel and appreciates having creative control of the aperature, shutter and iso. Even though he's a Casio fan he's not close minded to other brands.</p>

<p>Your input would be much appreciated.<br>

regards, <br>

Ted <br>

<br /> </p>

<p>Seriously, how does someone break five cameras? What is he doing with them?!</p>

<p>Get one that is as rugged as possible, such as the waterproof/shockproof ones, and hope for the best, I guess. Maybe also get one of those extended warranties that covers misuse/mishandling.</p>

<p>This list might help the OP's friend.</p>

<p>Improper uses of p&s cameras:<br>

1. Drive nails<br>

2. Chock a tire while changing a flat<br>

3. Substitute ball for playing catch<br>

4. Substitute 'egg' for the egg drop experiment<br>

5. Underwater photography without a special waterproof case<br>

6. Rocket photography (use duct tape to attach to the side of the rocket)<br>

7. Fake gun (must keep in pocket to fool people)</p>

<p>If he broke five cameras, an expensive G9 or G10 is about the <em><strong>last </strong> </em> thing I'd suggest. Yes it's got a metal body, but that doesn't make it any more shock resistant or water resistant than any other camera.</p>

<p>Without knowing <strong><em>how</em> </strong> he broke those five cameras, it's really difficult to give a good suggestion for a new one. (e.g., if he broke all of them by dropping them, he needs something rubberized and with shock resistance; if he broke all of them by getting them wet, he needs something water resistant; if he broke all of them by running them over with his car, he needs to find a different hobby; etc.)</p>

<p>I love the answers!<br>

My friend does a lot of travel to exotic places: Himalaya mountain climbing, riding elephants, participating in Afghani polo matches. He loves going for the unusual angels and shots. It makes me wonder how many infractions he's burrowed from Mr. Budding's list : )</p>

<p>I like the suggestion of the G10 with the steel bodies and also the list offered by Mr. Bernhard; Olympus Tough 8000, the Panasonic TS1, the Canon D10, or the Panasonic W80. So I will forward this to him.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions!</p>

<p>Ted</p>

<p>Definitely a ruggedized camera, or a waterproof case for a standard point and shoot. I used to have trouble with backpacking cameras breaking or getting damaged. Heavy outdoor use is very hard on equipment - I have a little 35mm p&s that has a large crack across the back from being in my pack and absorbing the impact of a fall. In the end though, even unbreakable things may not survive the most rugged use. e.g.: I broke an unbreakable Lexan water bottle after falling over a cliff and landing on it.<br>

The most dependable cameras for this kind of use for me have been the Canon ELPH series. My first one was actually a film version. My next one is an all-metal digital, which has a couple of dents in the case. The latest addition is an SD770IS, so far no dents. While I'd love to pack my SLRs for great shots, it's the kind of thing that destroys good equipment and weight is also an issue for overnight loads and already heavy packs, so I don't go there with good cameras.</p><div>00UEJc-165765784.jpg.9c8aaf7c0caba2cc5f1c01ddc2e73a79.jpg</div>

<p>I like Canon for P&S and Nikon for DSLRs. I can only recall dropping one camera, a Canon Powershot A95 as I was trying to get it out of a vest pocket. It fell from waist height (I am tall) onto a concrete sidewalk. The result? An almost imperceptible nick and continued flawless operation. I suspect that modern plastics can cushion a fall better than metal, and the best combination is a sturdy metal frame surrounded by a composite material as with the Nikon D200 and D300 and others.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>If your friend is paying for each camera he breaks out of his/her own pocketbook; then there is really no issues as to the expenses; it will all sort itself out.<br>

<br /> Some folks are more careless than others; that is the way life is.<br>

An old girlffiend of mine of mine would tear up any camera; coffee pot; ironing board iron; toaster; bike etc. If in doubt she would force stuff; push things in weird ways.ANY consumer item, would die in 1/1000 the time of a normal person. At first while dumb and under her spell I replaced this stuff; after awhile I got another girlfriend.<br>

A P&S film camera that I could use for say 12 years would look like hers in one day.<br>

If you get the person a more robust camera; they might just abuse it more.<br>

<br /> They only way for them to learn is to have them directly pay for each accident; each broke camera. helping them out by paying just incourages the welfare state</p>