Successful Darkroom!

<p>I am currently a highschool student and in the past few years I have been inspired by my photography classes to pursue my intrest in photography in my free time as a hobby, but after bringing my film to Wal-Marts' and CVS I started to feel like my photos just weren't as creative as i would like. Throughout my summer vacation I have been working on building my own personal darkroom in my bathroom. I bought my enlarger and timer I purchased for real cheap over eBay and the rest of my stuff through Freestyle photo. Just recently I finished my darkroom and have been printing ever since!<br>

My darkroom is fit for basic and simple B&W processing, but I would really enjoy some tips to improve my darkroom! Here are a few pictures of it aswell. Thanks!<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/soletgo/sets/72157621786194151/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/soletgo/sets/72157621786194151/</a></p>

<p>Congratulatiions, Steven! I built our darkroom in 2000 in our garage and it measures 8x9 feet but is completely comfortable and productive. I process black and white film and make prints almost weekly and it is a wonderful hobby! Scans I've made from my prints and negatives as well as my father's negatives from WWII are on my Flickr pages as follows:<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/21652620@N08/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/21652620@N08/</a><br>

Happy processing!</p>

<p>Very nice, Steven! Having had several makeshift darkrooms in living areas, I have a suggestion for you. Chemicals leave all kinds of stains. I suggest you get a big tupperware-like box that you would put Christmas ornaments and clothes in (the kind that is low enough to slip under your bed). You don't need the top, but you can use it as a liner for your trays. That way any chemicals that slosh out, won't ruin your plywood or stain your bathtub area. You can also use the top to seal it up so you can leave the chemicals in the trays without too much exposure to air between sessions. The same kind of deal is useful to put your jugs into so they don't stain your shelving. Looks like a lot of fun, and congratulations on building it and pursuing your art!</p>

<p>Congrats to you Steve..enjoyed some of your ideas for chemical storage.<br>

Terry, absolutely amazing photos..have to imagine they are part of a smithsonian type archive too.<br>

Here is pic of my impromptu unfinished basement area darkroom..maybe someone can borrow an idea or two also.<br>

I was just mentioning to another member that I used the wire from hanging ceiliings to round the perimeter so I could use inexpensive plastic ground cover to hide all the pipes and block light. Just draped it using clothespins. Was cheap.<br>

Cheers</p><div>00UCHa-164551584.thumb.jpg.ce9d978aad0b8afb36504a2183b0d456.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Steven,</p>

<p>First, congratulations; you will find processing film and printing is a great hobby.</p>

<p>That is a very nice setup. If I may make some suggestions...</p>

<p>The low height of your chemicals over the tub will cause some back strain. The attached picture shows how I set up my chemicals over the tub. The uprights are ripped from 1/2" ply wood. The rack, which is plastic coated wire closet basket material from Home Depot, rests on two 2x4 pieces. The 2x4 are held in rafter hangers attached to the uprights. Each rafter hanger has a hole drilled in the bottom with a 3/8" bolt through it oriented vertical, with nuts on both sides of the bottom of the rafter hanger for adjustments. The 2x4 rests on the bolts, which level the 2x4. On the bottom of each upright is a piece of 2x2 to form a ledge. 1x2 pieces run right to left to brace the bottoms of the uprights. On the left side of each 1x2 I attached a short piece of 2x2 which is center drilled and has an adjustable furniture leg end (also available at Home Depot) attached to provide a tight fit between the 1/2 and the upright, holding the upright firmly against the wall.</p>

<p>The safe light is mounted on some 1/2" plywood attached to the upright by a piece of 2x2</p>

<p>I also recommend you paint the wood to protect it from the chemicals. Although you can use any color, I chose flat black latex paint over a coat of primer.</p>

<p> </p><div>00UCNa-164597584.thumb.jpg.aac3913a1520a909067545caff28fe7b.jpg</div>

<p>Here is a color image of my 8x6 feet darkroom. I sit on a cushioned stool while agitating prints in the developer, stop bath, and fixer trays. Hanging from plastic clothespins in this image are 8x10 inch prints drying, which I place there after I am done; otherwise, they would hit my head. There is sufficient space between the tables and the vertical wall across from them for me to turn completely around. Not seen in the top left corner of the wall to the left of the Saunders dichronic enlarger is a small air conditioning unit that is needed when the temperature in the garage reaches 80 degrees and more. I have made thousands of prints here and I love working herein!</p>

<p>Here is a color image of my 8x6 feet darkroom. I sit on a cushioned stool while agitating prints in the developer, stop bath, and fixer trays. Hanging from plastic clothespins in this image are 8x10 inch prints drying, which I place there after I am done; otherwise, they would hit my head. There is sufficient space between the tables and the vertical wall across from them for me to turn completely around. Not seen in the top left corner of the wall to the left of the Saunders dichronic enlarger is a small air conditioning unit that is needed when the temperature in the garage reaches 80 degrees and more. I have made thousands of prints here and I love working herein!</p><div>00UCO9-164603684.jpg.b74fffbb2a61dbe5eb7b17164db02414.jpg</div>

<p>Way to go Steven, you pushed to go ahead and set-up that darkroom in the bathroom that I'm so afraid about.<br>

If you own the house, I guess no worry but if you're in an apartment, the danger of all the stains and drain pipe problems are easy to detect by maintenance if a problem should arise. And that's the part that I hate to get into.<br>

But the suggestion of painting the shelvings black is good, or perhaps lining them would be helpful and replacing them as it corrodes. I have yet to find a heavy duty container to dump the chemicals as I process and print. I admire your artistic abilities and keep on shooting!</p>