Walgreen's colorized my Tri-X.

<p>I developed a roll of Tri-X recently and wanted to have prints made, as I haven't got a darkroom. My regular pro lab doesn't print b&w in house, so I figured I'd take it to a one-hour place and see what I got. If it came out weird, I can still send them out.</p>

<p>First stop, Rite Aid. She put the neg into the intake of the scanner and it just sat there. No matter what she clicked on, it wouldn't pull in the negative. "Sorry, I guess it's not working. Do you want us to send them out?" Not at this time, thanks. (If I wanted them sent out, I'd rather give my usual lab the business...)</p>

<p>Next stop, CVS. I get a call from them an hour later telling me that they don't print "Four Hundred Tee Ex". But you print C-41 black & white, no? "Well this is a whole different process." Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it's processed already, so what difference should it make? "We can't do it, it makes our scanner hang up. It keeps trying to do color correction." So disable that? "If there was any way we could print these, you wouldn't be getting this phone call." Whatever. I go and pick up the negs.</p>

<p>Third stop: Walgreen's. By this time I was getting a little fed up, so instead of having them printed, I told them to just scan them and I'd print them myself, or upload them to someone who could. Fine, I go back and pick up my negs and a CD, and stick it in my laptop to see what I got.</p>

<p>Gee, that's funny. I coulda sworn I gave them black and white negatives. Why did it come out looking like this?</p>

<p> </p><div>00UBxy-164281584.jpg.b80d1d74bc590a7d1df57d05455450b5.jpg</div>

<p>Film base color? C41 films are orangeish, if you don't have that but correct for it anyway you see blue, then you negative that and you get... what you see. Black is black and white is white but what's in between has tone. Actually, that effect is really cool, it looks 40 years old. It looks completely believable, so they probably didn't catch on that it was a problem.</p>

<p>In my more experimental days, I used to occasionally exploit this quirk of minilab scanners. Though I don't remember getting images that were so intensely tinted, I discovered that bringing XP-2 to Target to be printed resulted in an aged faux-sepia tone.</p>

<p>I believe Andrew is correct. The minilab scanners try to "correct" for the lack of an orange mask on the film.</p>

<p>This is why I bought a printer and converted into 6 shades of black. Not because I wanted to print my own, because no one else could print my BW. Colour is a different fish and I don't want anything to do with the expense related to that. BW printing at home is cheap, reliable, and much easier than dealing with what you had to.</p>

<p>Consider it.</p>

<p>Yup, the minilab scanners are designed to correct for the orange mask. Kodak 400cn B&W C41 process film has an orange mask to take this into account even though it is B&W (so it actually does print as B&W). I shoot Ilford XP2 and scan it myself. Target does give it a bit of a sepia cast when they print it. Though I've noticed if I get it to the one tech she does a pretty good job of balancing it back to true B&W. It helps that I take so much film to that lab, and most when she is there that we are on a first name basis.</p>

<p>Wait--if the scanner is correcting for an orange mask, then that would shift the overall color balance of the scan to blue-cyan, right?</p>

<p>My <em>theory</em> is exactly the opposite--that the film had sort of a slight blue tint in the base (which some of my B&W film has), that the scanner tried to correct for that (removing a blue tint would give you more orange color, and then it pumped up the saturation.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Wait--if the scanner is correcting for an orange mask, then that would shift the overall color balance of the scan to blue-cyan, right?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Dave- it does do that, but the orange is in the negative. It reverses the colors to get the positive so the blue (corrected) image changes to orange.</p>

<p>Shalom- I agree with Keith, keep the color :) Look at the surprisingly good job it did on skin tones. Looks better than a lot of digital cameras. </p>

<p>If you correct the scans to B&W in photoshop or something similar, they usually can then print out reasonably ok at a minilab. Some of the minilab software has surprisingly little control over color correction. It will let you adjust a bit either way from what the scanner thinks is correct, but it's certainly no photoshop.</p>

<p>Also, my experience with one minilab style scanner is that it refused to scan negatives without DX coding, which is pretty much all traditional B&W film. </p>

<p><em>Dave- it does do that, but the orange is in the negative. It reverses the colors to get the positive so the blue (corrected) image changes to orange.</em></p>

<p>Doh! Andrew, you are of course right. I am so used to basic digital darkroom color correction that I didn't even think about the inversion.</p>