Portra 800: crazy reds

<p>I just tried my first roll of Portra 800-2 in 120, and any reds in the photos are crazy saturated and totally over the top. I scanned with my Epson V500. Has anyone else noticed this? Does any artificial light cause this, or is it just a red-sensitive film?<br>

I'd post examples, but it's much more noticeable when printing. I don't think it's the printer, BTW--I don't notice the problem in other films like Fuji 800Z.<br>

thanks</p>

<p>BTW--I had to turn the yellow way down--the bull looked garrish. Could it be the influence of the lights? It was mostly in daylight, but maybe the film is sensitive to artificial lights.</p>

<p>I think that red looks fine. Saturated, yes, but not oversaturated - unless the actual door is undersaturated :) Is your monitor calibrated? Any other examples?</p>

<p>I've got a V500 and I've seen examples of its software in default config going crazy on colors. I can run the same film on that and on my old Minolta film scanner and have the Minolta scan look fine and the Epson scan so saturated it goes out of gamut on my monitor.</p>

It appears to depends on the scanner software and the used negative film profile, as with VueScan with no dedicated profiles for most current films, reds in Ektar 100 are severely exaggerated (VueScan 8.3.45, Minolta 5400, generic negative film profile, crop at full resolution)<div>00TXES-140063684.jpg.dd0194145c126a7a15d6e942fe71e59e.jpg</div>

<p>I'm not having any problems with Portra 400VC or Portra 800 scanned with a Coolscan V using Nikon Software. The VC is saturated and supposed to be. The 800 seems OK to me.</p><div>00TZkt-141373884.jpg.7dc4d27312b4fafdf9fd946c221299cd.jpg</div>