Do neoprene straps really work?

Philip Freedman

<p>I admit to suffering from the accessory syndrome - i.e. you cannot have too many camera bags, tripods, filters, lenses etc. As for camera straps, I am still searching for a strap that really does lighten the load. I love using my D700 with a CZ 50 1.4 ZF manual lens but the combination is quite heavy and I am possibly not as young as I used to be. Do neoprene straps really make the load feel lighter or is it all hype?</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>neoprene straps--i use the Kata Reflex-C-- do a good job of distributing weight and absorbing shock. i can definitely tell the difference between the nylon Nikon strap and the Kata w/ a d300+grip. the only downside is the strap is kind of slippy--it doesnt have a grip pad like an upstrap.</p>

<p>Op-Tech makes good neoprene straps. I bought one after I got my D300, and it really helped. Most of all I was glad to get rid of the big yellow NIKON D300 from the strap. I also used the same strap with my D700, which was even more important as that camera is pretty heavy around my neck. And they are easy to put on and off the camera too, which is great if you switch cameras as often as I do.</p>

<p>I have a neoprene strap from Tamrac, I think. I found it after trying many other straps. It's especially good for carrying the camera around your neck, and does feel like it lightens the load. I've been thinking of switching to an Upstrap for carrying on the shoulder, which is more common for me these days.</p>

<p>They're very comfy. After a serious neck injury several years ago I needed some relief. The Op-Tech and Vellini neoprene straps really helped.</p>

<p>However, I don't trust the quick releases. While I've never had one pop open unexpectedly I have had the entire plastic QR buckle accidentally crushed in a car door, with a waist bag dropping to the ground.</p>

<p>I cut the neoprene part of the Op-Tech strap, slotted it and used it as padding for my original Nikon D2H strap. Looks like hell but is comfortable and secure. I couldn't bring myself to do that to a lovely Ferrari red Vellini neckstrap, so I use it with either my F3HP or FM2N. I also saved the elastic strap from the defaced Op-Tech strap to make a lightweight, stretchy neckstrap for much smaller, lighter gear such as my N6006 or P&S cameras.</p>

<p>Op-Tech are really good. I have one for my F100, D70 and tripod. The tripod ones are really nice to use. Very soft on the shoulders/neck.</p>

<p>Also they have little rubber studs on the inside so they never slip. Well they do, but they bring my tshirt with it.</p>

<p>Like Lex said, the little buckle is a problem. I too have never had one break, even when running with a tripod. But should i be getting a £1700 D700, there may need to be some adaption going on.</p>

<p>i was thinking of maybe melting the whole buckle, but not sure what type of plastic has been used. Failing that I may take it to the dress maker who lives below me and see what she can do.</p>

<p>I have not had any problems with the quick release on the op tech straps with some heavy loads but if someone wanted to make it one piece I suggest finding E6000 glue. I have used this glue for many years and it will stick about any thing together very well. I don't carry my camera around my neck but over one shoulder and under the other arm bandolero style.</p>

<p>I've got the Op-Tech flavor, and seem to most often use the quick-disconnect to... have the thing disconnected. I rarely have the camera around my neck, but when I'm shooting with two bodies, or otherwise have my hands really busy, I sure like the Op-Tech better than a non-forgiving hard strap like the factory adware version.</p>

<p>Frankly, it doesn't take long at all for ANY neck strap to irritate the popcorn out of me. And camera bounce --- arrrgh!</p>

<p>So...what about OpTech's harness? Has anybody tried these? Can you get the camera up to your eye relatively smoothly and quickly when called for or does it bunch up and stick to your shirt?</p>

<p>I have used Optech neoprene straps for nearly 20 years... with a single camera and lense they are fine (if a little bouncy).<br>

With multiple bodies and other gear they are too bulky... the standard supplied straps are more manageable. IMHO of course. :)</p>

<p>I have a Black Rapid and love it. I also have a very bad neck and back condition and this strap actually helps. The regular strap that came with my D90 I could only use for a couple of minutes before I would have to just hold it in my hand. They have a window where you try it and if you don't like it you can send it back and get your money back. I didn't need nor want to send it back.<br>

Only downside, is it is expensive.<br>

philb<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>I have an Op-Tech neoprene strap. When we went to China last year I replaced it with the wider Op-Tech Pro strap. The minute we got back I pulled the pro strap off my D300 and went pack to the old neoprene strap. Haven't used the pro strap since.</p>

<p>I have several Nikon brand neoprene straps and others that are useless for the reasons Lex mentioned above. If you want to try them check that it have good steel buckles instead of thin or badly designed plastic ones.<br>

BTW, I hate them. I prefer the 1" original Nikon straps that can be wounded in my wrist if needed, or definitely the classic home made mountaneering strap: sling+carabiner+bolt hanger attached to the camera (same as Black Rapid system).</p>

<p>Another vote for Op-Tech pro, it is very comfy....<br>

I also worried about the plastic clips, but find it so handy to be able to easily remove the bulky neoprene section of the strap.<br>

Leaving a small lightweight section, giving you have the best of both worlds so I now would not now be without them.</p>

<p>Jose, I too like the original 1" Nikon straps (for those of you who don't know what these are, they came with Nikon cameras in the 1980s and probably in the 1990s as well and are very simple nylon black straps with a smooth rib pattern). I have one on my Nikon F100 and I think I may have mistakenly sold a camera a few years ago with my other one. In any case they are easy to find.<br>

But with a heavier camera and a heavy lens mounted to it, and carrying the camera around all day on your shoulder or neck, it's nice to have some give and some padding.</p>

<p>I've used two Op/Tech straps, the 'Pro' and the 'Fashion'. The 'Fashion' is narrower and is basically just a length of neoprene between the connectors (without the rubber studs):<br>

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=10&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4<br>

I think it's rather too bouncy for a heavy camera like the D300/700, though the lack of studs makes it easier to slide the camera into shooting position if you're using it bandolier style.<br>

The 'Pro' is a sort of composite design, with an inelastic (nylon?) strap attached to the back of a wider length of neoprene (with the rubber studs). This bounces much less but still distributes the weight very well, and is now my standard strap on the D300:<br>

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=23&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4<br>

I've not had any problems with the standard 3/8" connectors (#3 in the link below, the connector that came with my 'Pro' strap), but didn't get on so well with the #2 connectors that shipped with my 'Fashion' strap (the rather inflexible edge of the connector tended to dig into my hand), so replaced them with #3s:<br>

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=48&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4</p>