Do neoprene straps really work?

Philip Freedman

<p>I guess I'm the only schizo here because I constantly change my strap based on need. For walking around with no tripod, Black Rapid wins because it is so easy to swing up the camera to get a shot. The BR is a nuisance with a tripod because I still haven't found a good Arca-type body plate with a D-ring so the strap has to be unattached before mounting to a tripod. Too much trouble but pretty comfortable and keeps the camera safer than other straps.</p>

<p>If I am using a tripod but walking a reasonable distance with the camera over my shoulder, the Op/Tech pro wins. Downside here, the camera tends to slip a bit while over the shoulder and it takes too long to set up for a quick shot unless you keep it around your neck, which can be a pain (literally) after awhile.</p>

<p>If I am walking short distances and carrying a tripod, I use a hand strap which also has a tripod thread. This doesn't work for long hikes or with long lenses because of the risk to the gear but it does mean in the right circumstances, it is very easy to go from hand held to tripod mounted and back again with a QR plate.</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I bought my first OpTec straps (the wide Pro models) back in the early 90s and they're still going strong on my T90s and my F1. The only time I notice a bouncing problem is if I'm running with a heavy lens on the camera. I recently needed a good strap for my RB67 and again went with the big OpTec and so far am very happy with it. Now (here comes the Nikon part) I've picked up a nice F4S which is of course heavy...gonna get me an OpTec!</p>

<p>Dave, you`re right. Definitely a wider strap is better to carry big loads, but... have you used that "climber" or BR system? It works hanged (crossed) on the shoulder, not in the neck. It helps a lot. It doesn`t matter if the sling slips or not (that could be a problem on the BR)... and you can choose between many strip widths and lenghts. The only drawback to me: you must remove (and install if you need it later) our 1" strap we like to avoid too many straps hanging; this is a bit of pain.<br /> The same for Bruce: forget your BR and use a Markins plate, attach a sewn sling to it and use a carabiner to hold the camera. Nothing easier and faster than a carabiner (better a bolted security one) to be released/attached. And use your Arca head with the strap+carabiner+QR attached on your camera.</p>

<p>Thanks for your comments. Interesting that (contrary to some of the adverts) no-one posting a reply actually said that the springy characteristic of a neoprene strap itself "absorbs" any weight or makes the load feel lighter. I just carried out a little experiment by hanging my camera + lens , via the strap, from a digital scale (used to weigh flight cases), first with an Upstrap and then with an Optech Pro. Guess what - both times the scale showed the weight as 1.50 kg. Even allowing for the scale being a domestic gadget, I suspect the bouncy effect is the only measurable "benefit" from using a neoprene strap and any comfort gain will derive solely from the width of the strap or pad on your shoulder. I think I will use the large version of the Upstrap since it feels more secure, grips the shoulder better, and can be used to tension the camera for slower shutter speeds, even though the wider shoulderpad of the Optech Pro is a little more comfortable. </p>

<p>I have had Promaster neoprene straps with quick disconnects on both cameras for years now. They are similar to the OpTech. I can't imagine using the straight nylon kind. I disconnect the neoprene part to use my tripod and the rest of the time I have the camera hanging off me. I've stopped putting it around my neck though, too heavy on long hikes. I've started slinging it around me instead. Less bounce and strain. I would agree that the wider straps will be more comfortable. </p>

<p>Another vote for OP/TECH straps here.<br /> <br /> If I am putting my strap on my neck, I like the <a href="http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=45&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4">Super Classic Camera Strap</a><br>

For Shouldering, I like the <a href="http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=52&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4">Utility Strap</a> because it has a grippy material on the bottom that keeps it from sliding off my shoulder, and it works really well.<br /> <br /> The great thing about OP/TECH USA's straps is that with the quick disconnects I can swap a strap from my D200 to my F100 effortlessly. Also, when working on a tripod they are great because I can easily get rid of the strap all together.</p>

<p>Well, I've got one of <a href="http://www.jackthehat.co.uk/optech-strap-weight-reduction-camera-strap-from-optech-p-276.html">these</a> and all I can say is, what a complete difference! I can walk about all day now with my 5D2, 300mm f4L IS and 580EX hanging off it no problem. The difference it makes is unbelievable. If you haven't got one you should get one.</p>

<p>I have a neoprene strap on one of my cameras. The good side is that it does distribute the load a bit better over my neck and it keeps my neck warm in chillier conditions. The downside is the "too bouncy" problem that many people echoed and also it takes more space to pack than a thin strap.<br>

For daily use, I prefer a classic thin nylon strap, but that's just me.</p>

<p><em>I am still searching for a strap that really does lighten the load.</em></p>

<p>Consider using a holster/belt system. After fussing with bags and cameras bouncing and tugging away on straps I found using a belt system the ideal choice (except coincidentally the neoprene holders which are not very secure). You have instant comfortable access to all your different gear, no digging through a bag, no putting anything on the ground, no losing anything, no slipping neck straps, no straps and stuff attached to cameras, no weight hanging from the shoulder, ability to ride a bike with the gear, no reorganizing a bag after hastily placing gear back in it. The ease level is great. Once in a while, if a strap like use is desired, the belt can go around the shoulder.</p>

<p>You'll never look back and wind up putting those extra bags on ebay.</p>

<p>Johns comments above reminded me of a thing I have, got it back in the early '80s I think, called a "Move Method". I seem to remember it was a pre release thing from some trade show. Anyhow, its got a plate that screws into the camera's tripod socket. Another part is on a belt and has a socket to receive the camera mounted plate. The plate is shaped in such a way so it locks into the belt mount. To remove the camera you push in toward your hip as you lift the camera. To put it back just push it down into the "holster". An interesting idea but I never liked the feeling of my camera and lens sticking out from my hip, just too easy to bang it into things. I don't think I ever saw these for sale anywhere.</p>

<p>Shun:</p>

<p>Sorry to take so long to give a response to your question.</p>

<p>The narrow Op-Tech strap has a lot more spring to it than the wider pro strap. If you are carrying a D300 with a zoom with the strap over your shoulder or around your neck all day that "give" in the narrow strap makes a lot of difference in comfort.</p>