Where will we buy film?

<p>Like Larry, I use a large deep freezer for food storage - mostly game and fish. However, it works nicely for film too! :-) In the "FWIW" column, I have used film for 50+ years and have "mail ordered" photographic supplies most of that time. I lived 100+ miles RT from the nearest photographic store in a small city and over 400 miles RT from stocking retailers. The fact that the local Walmarts, Walgreens etc don't stock much film anymore is a bother, but it is not a new bother for me. In fact, I can hop onto the internet and share ideas here and order film to be delivered to my door!</p>

<p>I like the Deep Freezer option too.It's even in my basement, so I tell myself the frozen film is shielded from cosmic rays which degrade it. My deep freeze also doubles as a food storage container too. Digging for film I often find food I'd forgotten about! Kind of an arctic adventure without leaving home.....<br>

Seriously even if all film production stopped tomorrow, there would be old stock on Ebay to keep most of us going for a long time. </p>

<p>Freestyle is also very reasonable on shipping charges as well. Back in the 1980's (and earlier) a fair amount of what they sold was past date, but still warrantied by them. The fine print read something like this: "items not marked fresh are past date, but fully usuable". Today (and for the last decade or so) they've concentrated mostly on fresh stock with the occasional bargain on past date, or short dated stock. I've been buying from them since the late 1970's and never been disappointed. My dad even bought from them as far back as the late 1950's.<br>

Besides Freestyle, I also use B&H and Adorama.</p>

Yes, but what if you want you color film fresh from the freezer? On a hot summer day three days in the back of a truck is enough to spoil those rolls of Pro-H you ordered.

I spent last summer in the Poconos. The only place that kept their film in the fridge was PPS in Wilkes Barre, which was an hours drive away. And they were also the only deep-tank developers.

Six months before I arrived, there had been a pro-lab in Scranton, it closed, leaving the city with a useless Ritz Camera and nothing else. This was a city that once had a dedicated photography school that included Bernice Abbot among its students and was where many 8x10 cameras were made.

Btw, PPS is an excellent lab and printers, if you are stuck in the area.

<p>For most of my film, which is Superia 400 I buy it at my local Target. For most of my other film, I buy through Adorama or B&H. Occasionally my local Ritz has had short dated Reala 100. I bought 25 rolls and later another 10 rolls. So far I have gone through about 12 rolls of that total. At the rate I am going it'll probably take me about another 18-24 months to finish shooting all of the Reala. When it comes down to it, other then Superia films (which are only carried in 100 and 400 speeds now) B&H and Adorama have the best film prices around, and if ordering 5-10 rolls, especially if I am getting something else at the same time anyway, the cost is so much lower. Especially compared to someplace like Ritz where a single 36-exp roll of Sensia 200 was $10!</p>

<p>I walked into Walgreens a couple of days ago and they had actually re-stocked a bunch of film. It was all just Kodak and Fuji consumer film at different ISO's (and a few generic brands), but for a drug store they actually had quite a lot of film. I was really surprised. I had kind of got the feeling that they were slowly backing away from film. But nope, it was there...a bunch of boxes of film, and a bunch of disposable cameras too. After my last experience, I don't think I'll ever take my film to Walgreens to get it developed again...but it's nice to know that if I wanted, I can easily pick up some color film there.<br /><br />Otherwise, I order most of my film, chemicals, and paper from Freestyle. I love that place. If I lived closer, I would probably be down there every day. But I live about an hour away. There's also a small camera shop about 20 minutes away that does a pretty good job of keeping film and chemicals stocked. They don't have anywhere near the selection that Freestyle has of course, and they're kind of expensive. But I still try to support them and buy from them as much as possible. If a camera shop is going to actually care for ALL their customers (not just digital) and stock what I need...then I'll return the favor and buy from them when I can. If a business wants my support, then they better support me too.<br /><br />But yeah, just looking at the Freestyle catalog always puts me in a good mood too. If only I had the money, I could go crazy in that place :) </p>

<p>In France, we are happy to have no the webshop argentic-numeric.com. They don't have only a very large offer of all kind of films but they have even more interesting prices than all other distributors.<br>

For students and users with small budgets, it's a big opportunity to continue the darkroom pleasure.</p>