I know that this sounds dorky and cliche, but...

mpblaze

<p>To be clear: I wasn't being snarky, or answering a question with another question just for the sake of playing armchair analyst. The point is that when you use words like "better," that implies a scale (from bad, to average, to better, etc). Since you're not saying where your scale begins or ends, or whether you're talking about sports photography, or fine art landscapes, or pro wedding work, or editorial assignments - all wildly different disciplines - it's hard to tackle your question. <br /><br />Since the only photo you have posted right now is of... potatos! ... well, I'd concentrate on exploring some other subject matter, first. Maybe something in the legume family. Or citrus fruits? I jest a bit - but it will help to know where your aspirations are. The trite answer to your actual question is: shoot more, and you'll improve. Shoot a <em>lot</em> more, and it will happen sooner.</p>

<p>lol... Yeah I photograph a LARGE variety of genres. I have 30,000 photos on my external terabyte hard drive. I want to focus on developing my own "style."<br>

Matt- I thought that the first part of your second paragraph was funny! Thanks, It gives me motivation to upload more pictures. I didn't take your first response as snarky.<br>

I also want to develop my fine art photography. Also, I want to build confidence in myself, I hope that that does not sound uppity or proud. Also, I want to develop my "photographer's eye."<br>

Michael- Yeah, that is kind of what I was thinking... how should I practice?<br>

D N- That's deep. I guess that no one can become perfect in the area of photography, not even Ansel Adams. (I apologize if there is someone that is perfect at photography that reads this.)<br>

Thanks everybody!<br>

Matt B.</p>

<p>I know so many people who want to become photographers. I ask them why, and they really can't give a great answer. With any art, you have to have the passion and drive to pursue your vision no matter what. If you don't have that drive, then you probably should consider it a hobby.</p>

<ol>

<li>Study the history of photography and the visual arts so you know where we are coming from</li>

<li>Study the works of the great photographers and painters, so you see how things can be done and composed</li>

<li>Practice practice practice. </li>

</ol>

<p>Matt, practice is important. i like JDM's comment. i think it is great to immerse yourself now and again in some favourite photography magazines and books. get inspired by great photography. and like Matt L. said, analysing your own images is a good idea. as an excercise you could pick an image you really love, study it and try and replicate it, then try and work out why you were or were not successful. That's my plan anyway.</p>

<p>Practice is very important. Photography is a highly technical art form. So you must master the technics then pursue the art. Secondly is NOT to compare yourself to another photographer. In this competitive world the competition gets very severe and many times competition will be at the expense of the person doing the competing. It is counter productive to compare yourself and feel that you are not good or the other extreme and compare yourself and think that you are the best. Either extreme will hurt progress. <br>

Pursue photography for the sake of enjoyment for yourself and the quality will take care of itself.</p>

<p>Find a local mentor. Sometimes it takes the personal touch. Even folks who are capable of self teaching still need some human input. I don't do it often enough but have occasionally had informal critiques from other artists and photographers. I'll accept constructive input from anyone with an eye for the arts of any kind, it doesn't have to be photography. Even a set and lighting designer from a favorite local theater group saw some things in my compositions that I hadn't noticed.</p>

<p>I like the public library route. If you live in a medium sized city or larger, there's a pretty good chance that your local library will have an extensive collection of photography (and other art) books. Art books are usually expensive, so have a look at the free ones over there at the library. If you get into it, you'll find yourself skimming through some, consulting others, and reading several of them over and over. It's worth it; it can answer some questions and help you to set goals. </p>

<p>There are many, many books which cover the basics, if that's where you want to begin.</p>

<p>Look at ads in print publications. Magazine ads especially. Some of them have some of the best lighting, layout and composition examples you'll see around. Also, interestingly, helps to through old magazines back to the 1950s. The 50s are helpful because the early to mid fifties was pretty much the end of hand-drawn advertisements. After about 1955, there was an overwhelming plunge toward photographed ads. I mean, en masse; there were photo ads before, and hand drawn ones after; but there was a huge change in advertising in the 50s; have a look at that and beyond. It helps to go back like that because it helps to break the grip ads have on us today; they are everywhere; we see great photos in ads all the time (and miserable photos in ads all the time) but don't notice it as often. Look at ads. </p>

<p>All good ideas so far. I'll add one more. Take a photo workshop with someone you admire. Learn how they do what you would like to be able to do. The most important thing is have someone who is really good review your work and offer suggestions for improvement. Of course, you can post some pix here for review, too, but the responses might not help you as much to go in your chosen direction.</p>

<p>Wow... a lot of great answers!<br>

JDM and Karen and John- I have exahusted our library's supply of photography books. ;-)<br>

Hansen and Chris- That was sort of my question... ideas of how to practice. I'll look that book up!<br>

Sinh- ;-) I have to start with a good photograph. thanks, That's actually something that im working on.<br>

Bruce- A lot of workshops are a little too expensive. But I should save for one! Can you think of any good (affordable) workshops?<br>

Jayanti- now I feel silly. ;-)<br>

Thanks Everyone!<br>

Matt</p>

<p>All great input from the other P.netters. For me, I have found that understanding light results in the biggest jump in photographic quality. You can certainly do a lot of research on the physics of light and how to harness it for your photographs, but in reality it will take a lot of field practice to really fine tune it. Matt, you seem like you're pretty passionate about photography, so finding the time to practice should be easy. Enjoy the journey...</p>

<p><strong>What makes a successful photograph?</strong></p>

<p><em>Here is a short list. I illustrated each with real images for my photo club a few months ago with PowerPoint, and people told me they were helpful. One of these days I will do the same on my website. If it's of any help, here is the cut-and-paste from my Word document -- it is by no means exhaustive, of course:</em></p>

<p>A visually exciting photograph <strong>usually</strong> shares some or a combination of these characteristics (I highlighted "usually" because this is not always the case):</p>

<ul type="disc">

<li>Overall visual simplicity -- you know exactly what it is when you see it. You don't have to look twice to understand the image.<br /></li>

<li>There is an a center of interest -- that is, an interesting and identifiable main subject.<br /></li>

<li>There are strong graphic or geometric design components which somehow pleasingly blend together effectively. They usually guide your eye to the key subject of the scene.<br /></li>

<li>There is a pleasing pattern of components or details which somehow complement each other, or somehow guides the eye to the main subject of interest.<br /></li>

<li>There is a visually pleasing balance, or symmetry, throughout the entire view. <br /></li>

<li>The "graphic" shapes and forms in the view are well defined and separated -- not merged together. For example, a tree has not "grown" out of someone's hair; two bodies or animals are not overlapped to a point you can't tell what they are at a glance.<br /></li>

<li>The light is beautiful; or at least the image is appropriately exposed. Light can make or break an image. <br /></li>

<li>It only contains a few prominent colors. <br /></li>

<li>The subject, or the arrangement of the components, evokes an emotional response. The most successful images break through cultural and age barriers. Examples: Subjects of nature, love, beauty, life and death, tragedies and disasters, youth and age, the unique, the humorous and unexpected, etc.<br /></li>

<li>The background and foreground are pleasing. There is little or no distraction or clutter that detracts the viewer from the intended subject.<br /></li>

<li>It contains details which contribute to the intent of the image, not distracting or taking away from it. Examples: The shadow details; the textures and colors of fall leaves, the harmonious placement of legs, arms, and hands.</li>

</ul>