I was shock today.

rothelle

<p>Today I went to my local camera shop in Palo Alto to find that 120 Tri-X went up in price again from $3.89 to $4.89. HP5+ is now from $2.89 to $3.89 and Fuji Neopan from $2.69 to $3.09. So I did something new. I got 10 roll of HP5+ 20 rolls of Neopan 400 and some DDX film developer. I shot a few roll of HP5+ as I'm not new to any of these films. But what I am new to is I put away my PMK, HC-110 and Zonal Pro and used the DDX. I was SHOCK! what this developer has poped out of my negs. I was a die heart Tri-X and Plus-X and any thing that was not that was second or not a waste of my time. But that just might have to change. Not looking for times or ISO rating. I still have all that down as I have used these films before and from time to time I pick up one or two rolls. I maybe picking more rolls up as not only the price is rigt but the quality too.</p>

<p>Glad you were able to find a ray of light and inspiration to continue rather than become too frustrated over the harsh realities of the economy. I've long suspected that b&w film photography will become more expensive, mostly a boutique item for artists and devotees. But my other artistic hobby, painting, is awfully expensive too. No avoiding that.</p>

<p>HP5+ is a beautiful film, very easy to work with and delivers outstanding results with a bit more generous exposure, around EI 250-320. It doesn't impose any particular or unique look, but is responsive to the photographer, like a good instrument.</p>

<p>I haven't used DDX but am a fan of Microphen, which some folks who've used both say deliver fairly comparable results. Some of these developers are surprisingly versatile, delivering both true full speed and fine grain, along with user friendly characteristics for push processing and difficult films or exposure situations.</p>

<p>At one point I was about ready to give up on TMX. I loved the unique tonality, which I've described as a bit melodramatic, and extremely fine grain and high resolution. But it's finicky stuff, dislikes exposure error and can be difficult to work with in very contrasty lighting. Quite by accident I discovered it works beautifully in Microphen at ISO 100 in normal development. Pretty much eliminated my few gripes about TMX.</p>

<p>You can shoot HP-5+ at 800 in DDX with almost no shadow loss. Amazing stuff. Wish my local camera store stocked it.<br>

Since HP-5+ increased in price I've been shooting more bulk film from FOMA. Cost increases and wage deflation are a reality now in nearly every part of the world.</p>

<p>Chris, the price of HP-5+ (and other films) has likely gone up because as economies and currencies tank, precious metals like silver and gold go up in price. Since black and white film contains a lot of silver we're going to see even more price increases in the future, I'm afraid. It's ironic that Ilford stopped producing private label film and Kodak has begun making it available.</p>

<p>ah, the cat is out of the bag!<br /><br />dozens of what-is-your-favourite-soup threads, even on APUG, consistently fail to mention DD-X. even the what-is-your-favourite-soup-for-HP5+ ones! i used to scratch my head in disbelief... now i just say "hmmm," close the darkroom door behind, and merrily churn out silky smooth night scenes with shadow curves that never end :)<br /><br />shhhhh... or the price will go up</p>

<p>Lex, Brooks, Rus, Chris, Robert and Vilk. Just wanted to say thanks for joining in and also your comments too. I will not be giving up on Tri-X and Plus-X, I just want be shooting as much as I will now be shooting HP5+, FP4+ and Neopan and Across. And I want to welcome DDX to my darkroom and move over Zonal Pro.</p>

<p>I stop by that store in Palo Alto all the time. Even with the price hikes they still are the cheapest source for the Fuji Neopan series in 120. It helps since its local removing the shipping costs involved.<br>

What boggles my mind are the very high prices for slide films there. In 35mm its almost ridiculous while the 120 prices are pretty good.</p>

<p>What's up Darren?<br>

I do agree with you that Fuji Neopan is one of the cheapest out of the big names at least in the Bay Area unless your buying the Freestyle stuff which I don't like that much. I went by on Monday and got 20 rolls of 100 and 20 rolls of 400 and also 10 more rolls of HP5+ and two rolls of Tri-X and Plus-X. I don't think I will give up on the Kodak but will not be buying like I use to when the others are at a real good price. Stll under $4.00 is a damn good thing.<br>

Marc I know about Clayton F76+. But I think DDX has a bit of an edge over it as my testing shows. But any D76 is good and will always be in my darkroom.<br>

Robert B. I think just like you that the darkroom is so so much fun then digital editing. Just my 2 cents.<br>

Vilk, Hope now you can get the results you been trying to get;-) now you know the deal.</p>