Upgrade from CS2 to CS4

<p>1. If I make this upgrade, will I be completely in the weeds for a while as far as the user interface or would it be pretty easy to use it in the same way that I have always used CS2 while I slowly learn all of the new features?</p>

<p>2. Is ACR much better in CS4?</p>

<p>3. How well does that new selection tool work. Is it precise enough to cut out a background that has many of the same colors and tones as the subject or would one still have to use one of the more slow, deliberate methods?</p>

<p>4. I noticed in one advertisment something about doing nondestructive adjustments without layers. There ARE still layers if I want them though, right?</p>

<p>The best thing to see the improvements is to take a look at the Lynda.com video: Photoshop CS4 new features (if you are a member of course...).<br>

But there is something to take care: PS Cs4 may be incompatible with some OpenGL graphic cards. For example, I've tried to upgrade my (non OpenGL) existing ATI Radeon with the OpenGL enabled ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. The card is working fine, but PS CS4 won't launch (I got an error message when launching CS4). I put back my old graphic card and everything is OK. So it's better to see supported graphic cards before upgrading to CS4: <a href="http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405711&sliceId=1">http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405711&sliceId=1</a></p>

<p>I'll answer too, I still use CS2 on one office and CS4 in the other.</p>

<p>1. UI -- Not that much of a difference. Moderate only. Bridge 3.0 BLOWS away Bridge 1.0<br>

2. ACR 5.x blows away ACR 3.x -- not a fair fight by any means.<br>

3. Selection Tool -- I use so rarely so no comment.<br>

4. Layers -- of course, yes.</p>

<p>Oh yeah, it is nice upgrade. CS2 to CS3 was really an improvement with better ACR and more 16 bit filters. The upgrade from CS3 to CS4 wasn't so much exciting unless you are on a Windows 64 OS as it screams if you have the ram. For me that was the big benifit; Vista 64 with 8 gigs of ram and now CS4 flies. The difference is like going from Lightroom 1.4 to Lightroom 2.3</p>

<p>Hmmm. I have GeForce 7400 ... Might not work with CS4 anyway :(</p>

<p>It should load fine. You just wont have OpenGL that's all. It loaded on my older and crappier card than a GeForce 7400. I had like a cheap 6600 from 2005 when I loaded CS4. Then I upgraded to the $100 9400GT and works much better. The whole computer was much faster, actaully.</p>

<p>Jammer, if your Geforce 6600 card has the OpenGL feature and if it's not listed, you may have problems with CS4. To see what's going on, you can install the trial version for CS4...The best is to have a recent OpenGL 512 MB supported graphic card, but CS4 works fine with my old prehistoric ATI Radeon 9200 card (I don't have this OpenGL feature, but I can do anything I want with CS4 anyway)</p>