Funny film buying experience

<p>I'm about to leave for a short trip, and wanted to bring some Tmax 100 and Tmax 400 with me. I'm not one of these "film is better than digital" or "digital is better than film" people, I like both and use each where it's appropriate. I'm also bringing my dSLR on the trip. So don't take this as a disparaging tale from a person who is 100% married to one form of the spectrum of the art of photography.</p>

<p>Anyway, since I'm leaving tonight and don't have time to drive over an hour to the pro photo shop that's closest to me, I stopped at Wolf Camera on the way to work. I wasn't sure they'd carry film but I figured it's worth a try. Indeed they had film. No 100, only 400. I can live with that. I asked the sales lady if that was all they had, and she said yes. I asked for 2 rolls of 35mm 400. She took a very long time to locate it, which was funny because there were probably a total of 40 rolls of film in their stock, so finding the batch of 10 that was Tmax shouldn't be that difficult. She found them with some help, and pulled them out of the stack looking at the boxes kind of funny. She didn't seem to know how to hold the film box, like she'd acidentally pulled out a turd by mistake. After ringing me up, and taking my money, I left the store. A few minutes away from the shop, I looked down at the two rolls sitting on the passenger seat of my car, to see both rolls of film were recently expired.</p>

<p>I don't have time to return it or anything, so perhaps I'll find a place on the way to stop and get the correct film, or maybe not. However, for some reason, I can't stop laughing.</p>

<p>I fail to find that amusing at all although I wouldn't sweat the recent expiry date.<br /> I guess it's expected these days from a Wolf/Ritz etc.</p>

<p>BTW, if it's the newer TMax 400 (says "Worlds Sharpest" or something to that effect) that stuff is real nice. Don't worry if it's past due a bit.</p>

<p>That's funny, but kind of sad too. For what it's worth, I personally wouldn't worry about outdated film. I've used a lot of it and never had a bad experience.</p>

<p>I recently found an brand new electronic remote release that will work with my old AF Nikons for sale - not auction - on eBay for $10.00, and it turned out it was at a local camera shop. I printed out the eBay page and drove down there. It took the salesperson a while to locate it, and upon returning to the counter she asked "You really want one of these?"</p>

<p>Good point about the expiration, although I'm still in need of some 100 speed. But... I actually wanted the "new" Tmax and should have looked more carefully. No way this could be the new formulation if it's recently expired. I'm used to the pro shop where they would spot expired film long before it would have ever made it into my hand, and in all likelyhood would have a separate stack of the "old" Tmax at a discounted price rather than have them mixed in with the new stuff.</p>

<p>I guess the comical part was that it was all so bad from beginning to end, I couldn't help but laugh. It's like buying a pair of socks that already has a hole in it from a store whose sales people tried to sell me a bra before I had to explain to them that a bra isn't the same as a sock and men don't wear bras. Well, at least I don't need to wear one (yet) ;)</p>

<p>Well the contrast is controlled by development times.<br>

I always rated the old TMax 100 at 80 as I like shadow detail but from what I've seen the new 400 should be okay @ box speed and looks to push quite well too.</p>

<p>I never really liked pushing because of my preferences for shadows but this stuff looks promising from what I've been hearing but my own experience is limited so YMMV.</p>

<p>The tonality looks amazing from the samples I've seen of the new 400.</p>

<p>Even though I purchase most of my film stock from the Adorama or B&H these days every once in a while I need to pick up something special locally.My best success has been at local photo stores that have been in the community a very long time.If the clerk has less hair than me and it is the shade of the Great Lakes sky during winter I know I'm golden. </p>

<p>Last time I was at B&H the film counter was probably the only place in the store where you did not have to wait on a line to place an order. Big transition from the days not so long ago when they set up the new store with prime space dedicated to film sales. Have not been there lately, but I doubt that prime Manhattan retail space will continue to feature film. It was street level with open window view and often had people waiting for service.</p>

<p>When I was at Ritz, we paid close attention to things like that........but I was fired for calibrating "pump output checks" on our frontier.....for those who have any interest, there is a replenisher rate setting, for every inch of paper, x amount of replenisher is squirted into the machine's working tanks....."pump output check" is essentially letting the machine know how much it is squirting each time the pump pumps.............I was fired for doing output checks myself instead of waiting for fujifilm to come to our lab at alledgedly $500 an hour including 5 hours of driving time each way.</p>

<p>Your story is one of those to put in the category "stranger than fiction" -- except that, sadly, it's not.</p>

<p>But I do understand the part about the laugh -- that same sort has belched forth from my gullet more than once.</p>

<p>Have a great trip, and safe journey both ways.</p>

<p>I just got done uploading a batch of test photos to flickr that were shot on a Canonet 28 that I bought on ebay for $18.00. The film I used was TMax 100 and it was 4 years and 8 months past expiration. You can check them out in my "Canonet 28" set.<br>

<a href="http://flickr.com/photos/robvaline/sets/72157612229334515/">http://flickr.com/photos/robvaline/sets/72157612229334515/</a><br>

The motto of the story is..... Don't sweat the expiration date. I shoot expird film all the time. It's cheaper on ebay. ............. A lot cheaper.</p>

<p>I read these stories and it always makes me wonder...how can my local Ritz be so much better than everyone else? Staffed by people who care and who know what they're talking about...able to ring up film and digital purchases with ease...work with newbies and experienced amateur photographers alike. </p>

<p>I'm not saying they're a pro shop, but certainly I've never had the problems I see described. Maybe your sales person was just a new employee?</p>

<p>Just another example of hiring a "body" rather than someone who knows something about what their selling. Repeat this at every store in the US. Of course if owners paid better they might get better help because then they might expect more for their money. Fat chance.</p>

<p>I bought some Fuji True Definition 400 on eBay because I can't find it in any store. The guy selling it used the word "new" twice in the ad. When I got it, it was expired by 2 years. We'll see how it turns out. At least all 6 rolls expired at the same time. </p>

<p>Rob, at the Wolf (2 of them) and Ritz closest to me, every experience I've had talking to them has been absolutely horrible. One of the guys, who was by far the most experienced and knowledgable of the lot, tried to talk some poor customer into buying a dSLR and 2 lenses when a P&S camera was clearly just way too much for her. So I'd say you're lucky yours is better.</p>

<p>BTW, I just developed my roll of expired Tmax from Ritz and it's just fine as-is, so as much as I still find it comical that I was sold expired film by a dumba55 at Ritz, I can't complain about the results I got at all.</p>