How much did you spend on film in 2008?

<blockquote>

<p>OK, But how much did you spend on image editing software, Optical discs, External hard drives, inks and <strong>paper</strong> , system upgrades, etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Don't you need paper to print, even if you are working with film?<br>

<br /> Edit: I forgot about slides... .but still.....don't many of the film photographers just end up scanning thier film and printing anyways? So really, the expense of software, disks, hard drives, ink, paper, etc. still exsist. <strong>I have nothing against film, but please, don't try to convince me it costs less.</strong></p>

<p>I don't keep a record anymore of what I spend because I'm not doing it as business, but I shoot lots of film! My freezer has way-more film & paper than food. I like it that way (though I *really* do like to eat as well). <br>

I keep plenty of chemicals on hand, too. I'm well stocked in case of a depression. ;o) </p>

<p ><em>This makes me really appreciate my ~$100 memory cards!</em></p>

<p >And so what? I just don’t understand how those memory cards (whatever price is) are related to films which we are talking about. </p>

<p ></p>

<p >I spent roughly $350 without processing. I consumed about 70 rolls, mostly E-6. </p>

<p>Probably around $1000, without processing. But 2008 was a stocking up kind of year, which included getting as many rolls of HIE as I could get my hands on, trying 4x5 films, and experimenting with a few others. 2008 also saw me move from shooting slides 90% of the time to shooting B&W 90% of the time. So, although I've spent some on chemistry, overall film and processing fees are down. However, shooting B&W means using paper, so that's been an added expense -- at least another $1000 spent there, all of it in the freezer. Again, it was stocking up on papers that are hard to find or have recently been discontinued. I'm not a professional, but I love photography in all it's forms, and the expense is something that I accept is a part of it.</p>

How much on film? For actual film, around $200 for 2008; all B&W. Moneys spent on infrastructure to support film, for things such as development equipment, the start up, and one time cost is around $500 for 2008. Chemicals around $50. Before I returned to film, I had just one film body, a Canon EOS-3. I spent around $450 on two more EOS-3 film bodies, and $400 on three battery/vertical/booster grips for each. I got the grip because it takes AA batteries, so when the 2CR5 battery goes out of production sometime in the future, I can still use AA's to power my bodies. Also, the vertical grips are nice for portrait aspect shoots. Why so many film bodies? (1) EOS film bodies are no longer made, and if one EOS-3 bodie gets lost, damaged, or broke beyond repair, I have two more. (2) I shoot only with primes so having more then one body means less lens switching, and more bodies mean more ISO film types can be used. So I guess my total 2008 expense for film is around $1,400 total.

In 2009 I anticipate shooting 90% film and 10% DSLR, and I suspect my film related costs will be around $300 for the entire year. However I might buy a $2,000 film scanner sometime this first quarter, and this is a one-time infrastructural expense. The scanner will be used to convert my "raw" negatives to digital for mastering in PhotoShop, and so my film workflow is hybrid (for now). I would prefer to make prints in the wet darkrroom, and someday I will, but I don't have the room for a proper darkroom right now, however that might change later this year.

<blockquote>

<p>Edit: I forgot about slides... .but still.....don't many of the film photographers just end up scanning thier film and printing anyways? So really, the expense of software, disks, hard drives, ink, paper, etc. still exsist. <strong>I have nothing against film, but please, don't try to convince me it costs less.</strong></p>

</blockquote></B>

<p><strong>Not really. Paper's cheap but thats about the same cost for film or inkjet. Even if I scanned every frame of all 100 rolls I shot, I only scan at low resolution for the web... I would have generated 18 gigs of info the whole year. I'm still running on the 250 gig hard drives I bought about 4 years ago. </strong></p>

<p><strong>If you really want my paper budget it was about $100 this year. So $520 all said and done. Unless you are a pro (shooting weddings, etc.) or buy a new camera every year, I think digital/film costs about the same, with film having the slight edge.</strong></p>

<p>I guess I probably spend around $300 per year for film and processing in most years.</p>

<p>However, this calender year I have already spent over $100 on just three rolls... about 84 shots total (36+36+12 shots). I took these photos at my niece's wedding.</p>

<p>I am not a pro--- strictly amateur. The family of the bride relied on family members like me for photos of the wedding rather than spending a lot of money on professional photograpy. Yes, I know, you get what you pay for, but I digress. Anyway, seeing as how this was an important event I took the film to a professional lab and got double prints (4x6 inch) to use for proofs, and I also ordered low resolution scans for each roll. I had no idea this would run over $100 for three rolls. Frankly I didn't see a great quality difference compared to cheap processing I usually use for my own photos, except that there was a lot of dust on the photos from pro lab on the one roll of B&W (plus-X) I shot.</p>

<p>Unless you have a good pro lab nearby, I'd send it out to some place like photoworkssf.com. They should be cheaper and do a good job. I took film to a local pro lab once and had the same experience you did. $20/roll and dirty negs. I've since moved and the pro lab here (in Philadelphia) is much better.</p>

<p>About 200 dollars. My freezer has been pretty well stocked for awhile. I just spent about $100 on some Kodak Gold 200 and Max 400. They were at some local bargain mart type place for $2.50 to $4.50 for a 4 pack. It seemed like a good deal. I will go back for more later. I also want to get a scanner this year ...not sure which model to get, and I will need a new computer to go with it. </p>