Best Photo advice or tips you have ever received?

patrick_f

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><em>Don't hesitate. Film is cheap, life is fleeting.</em> -- (An approximation of the consensus of tips from various mentors.)</p>

<p><em>Put down the camera. You're a better writer than photographer.</em> -- (My first journalism instructor. I should have listened to her.)</p>

<p><em>Get out of the bathroom! Give someone else a chance!</em> -- (My little brother, after my mom gave me a home darkroom kit when I was a kid. Everything fit on the tiny bathroom sink.)</p>

<p>Photography is all about capturing light...<br /><br />No idea who said it but I think I read it here on photo.net... I keep this in mind with almost every shot I take, looking at the background, shadows, sunlight and so on.<br>

and...<br>

<br />A guy at the local print shop showed me how to crop photos to standard sizes in photoshop... really basic stuff I did not know but helped me a lot</p>

<p> "The obvious is the last thing we see"<br>

Said by either Wendell Berry or Jonathan Williams.</p>

<p>[Yes, I'm well aware of Eggleston's "I'm at war with the obvious" quote, but I think WE was coming at this from the other side of the mirror]</p>

<p> </p>