Kodak Panatomic-X

<p>Hey everybody.</p>

<p>I have shot a grand total of two rolls of Panatomic-X in my life. One was at a party, that was actually quite an amusing night and I got great photos. The other I was photographing scenery in the blue mountains.<br>

I used a Ricoh body both times, I forget which, it's long gone now, its shutter broke and it wasn't worth it to repair (i'd acquired a Pentax KX which used the same lenses) ...<br>

I'm soon to have a Kodak Retina IIc. And nothing would please me more than to shoot Panatomic on it, just for the sake of nostalgia (an age I never existed in, perhaps) ... Only problem is they stopped making the stuff twenty years ago.<br>

Does anyone know either where I might find some Panatomic, or if there is a widely available film today with similar characteristics? (You can't just walk into a shop in Sydney and ask for Agfapan APX 25 unfortunately, or Efke 50 :()<br>

I know about Pan F+ and would use that, but ideally I'd like something just a tad slower. Development isn't a problem, I can do that myself.<br>

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated immensely.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Pan F+.  USE ISO 25 or 32 and figure the development according.  Start with 15% less than Ilfords recomendation if you have a condenser enlarger.</p>

<p>I bought a new100` roll of Plus x.  Very impressive if you have a wet darkroom.  I do not like how it scans.   It is the only film I have ever had trouble scanning, and it is not overdeveloped.<br>

</p>

<p>I never shot it.  Before my time in photography, but I came across an exposed roll in a tool box located in the garage .. shot sometime in the year 1956-57 .. and on a whim had it developed at a pro lab in St. Louis (about 2005) .. what a rich experience that was .. my immediate impression was this was amazing film .. and nothing I've seen since has quite approached what Panatomic-X achieved.<br />Information about this film is difficult to come by .. and nothing new, improved, nor for that matter anything considered technoligically superior .. looks exactly like Panatomic-X.  Sadly, the photogrpaher who shot that film died without seeing those photos .. it was exposed on a Voigtlander Vitessa T/Rodenstock lens .. purchased in 1955 in Germany .. and included scenes of my mother and father's first house in Topeka, Kansas ..<br />Oh, I do wish I could buy a package of this film somewhere .. or just learn more about it .. sadly, my interest in photography came too late to share talk of cameras and film with dad .. who subsequently went on to taking family photos and travel pictures on Kodachrome with an instamatic .. but I'm convinced that Panatomic-X is just too beautiful and rich a film to be forgotten.  I'll follow the thread perhaps someone has had some experience with it ..</p>

<p>I still have some 35mm and 120 Panatomic-X in the freezer.  My best results came from shooting it at 64 and developing it in Edwal FG-7 1:15 with plain water (no SS).  The tonality was great, the sharpness very good and the grain extremely fine.  Pan F+ is the closest thing to Panatomic-X that is still available.  I find that it takes more effort to get good results with it than with Panatomic-X but not as much effort as TMX requires.  If I just put a roll of Plus-X in my Bronica GS-1 will get finer grain in an 8X10 or 11X14 than any 35mm film would give me.  Panatomic-X in 120 size is really nice.</p>

<p>I shot about 50% of my film in Panatomic-X and the other in Tri-X. Looking at the old Panatomic, I am not as impressed as I used to be. Compared to Fuji Acros, the Rollei film and some others, the new stuff is as good, if not better. But then I am not as concerned about grain as I am sharpness these days... something I didn't understand when I was a youngster.</p>

<p>Don't give up on trying to find some Panatomic-X. at least in 35mm. But it does command a princely price. I saw a 100' roll of bulk FX go for 100 USD on ebay recently. I wanted it, but I wasn't willing to pay that much for it. Most that shows up is usually 24 or 36 exposure rolls from with 1986 to 1991 expiration dates. Most of what I have bought and used falls between those two dates. I also snagged a few rolls of FXP (Panatomic-X Professional) in 120. Excellent results. What is surprising is I have some FX that expired in 1977 and I've gotten good results with it. Yes, it does show some fog, but not so bad that I can't compensate in printing. I use HC-110 dilution B to minimize fog.</p><div>00RlLi-96677584.jpg.644b29c6718c5055c9d2d1f74d45cbd4.jpg</div>

• 2 months later...

<p>I ended up getting some Panatomic-X (thanks very much Dan!) and loaded one roll in my Zorki and one in my Kodak Retina. Both superb cameras in their own right. ;)</p>

<p>Expiry date 9/1981.</p>

<p>This is one of the prints I made from it. (Caveat Emptor: I suck at printing.)</p><div>00ShmD-114557684.thumb.jpg.949fc51502638834c62acf301a9b2f29.jpg</div>

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

<p>Late post, I know, but it seems there is still interest.<br>

I began shooting at age 10 or 11 with Panatomic x and a Rolleicord IV in the late 70s. I didn't know the difference, it was just the film in dad's drawer. I shot scores of rolls of the stuff. I never used a meter (wouldn't have known how!), just sunny 16 and the graph on the back of the Rollei. I remember that my friends in photo class were in awe of my huge negs (I was the only 120 shooter) I loved that I could pick out a detail and enlarge the hell out of it, right down to the grain, and still get fun usable images, something none of my classmates could do.</p>