Until I can afford the Nikon 28-70 2.8 What would you suggest?

tricia_moskal

<p>I think the 28-105 or 35-70/2.8 would be good short term zoom lenses that can do the job while you save up for the 24-70 or the 28-70. The 28-105 and 35-70 can be purchased for very little money right now, as they use the older body-motor autofocus. I have used both lenses on 35mm film and they're good glass, one has wider range and a bit lower quality and the other a very short range but very good optics. ;-)</p>

<p>Ok, if it is FF, I would go for a 24-85mm AFS for a lightweight lens that you can stil use in the future should you go light so not a redundant investment. </p>

<p>Not sure on 35-70/2.8 cos may be not wide enof. <br>

<br /> I would also think about a 28-105 or 24-120vr if you want a travel all in one lens or even a 28-200 if you can trade quality for convenience.</p>

<p>Another vote for the 24-85 f3.5-4.5 AF-S.<br>

As wide as the 24-70 f2.8, longer than that or the 28-70 f2.8.<br>

Much much smaller and far cheaper than either.<br>

Fast quiet AF-S as both of the bigger expensive lenses.<br>

Yes, slower than f2.8 but with the low noise and high iso of the D700/D3 I'm still shooting at plenty fast shutter speeds for the shots I need, especially if I am using flash e.g. covering an event with a Gary Fong Whale Tail. I have a 28-70 f2.8 AF-S that sits on the shelf favoring the small and light 24-85.<br>

Plenty sharp too.</p>