How would you start WW3 in Photo.net?

How to start a flame war? Just make it personal, Jerry! Or, my personal favorite: complaints that complex, reality-

based answers to faux-simple questions are somehow mean-spirited or... damnable. That's really where almost ALL

of the friction comes from. There's more TO most questions than the (especially novice) asker often understands,

and less venom/vitriol/malice/chest-thumping in the resulting complex replies than most of them presume they're

seeing. The fine art to avoiding hurt feelings or misapprehension of information as condescension is to gently provoke

the original poster into asking the actual question they didn't know they needed to ask in the first place. But then the

socially smart (if photographically green) posters often feel they're being 'handled,' so you can't win. I think that a lot

of flamewars are actually virtually thus... only one party thinks there's actually one going on, sometimes. Here in

damnable eternity, we have lots of time to contemplate the evolution of such threads.

All that being said: a great way to start PN-WWW-3 is to... take things too seriously!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah Fox got me laughing out loud with her first post.

Here's another flame war in the making:

"How dare anybody challenge my right to hang out at playgrounds taking pictures out the window of my van, man? That's like freedom, man."

Typical response: "Dude, it may not be illegal but you're kind of a dumbass if you thought nobody would think you are acting suspicious."

OP's response: "You can't judge me, man! Opressor of freedom! Paranoid freak! Attica! Attica!"

Dammit I wish I could collapse these posts in one.

- Is it worth it to buy a refurb Epson 2400? Can't I still use the 2200 or 1800?

- Can I use 3rd party inks to better clog up my Epson K3 printer and save a few pennies?

- Is it worth it to print at home?

- How can I resize a picture to post to the Web?

- How do I do a simple border on a picture?

- Is it better to resize and submit for large printing or do I need Genuine Fractals?

- Is HDR hard to do? Is it Fake?

- How is this done? (that infamous technique everyone asks about)

- I am using PS ver 5.5, should I upgrade to CS4 (v. 11)?

Hmm. I'm trying to make up something ever crazier, but I can't do any better than the actual, real recent thread about factory camera straps vs. home-made camera straps. Except, that was a pretty civilized conversation. It was like the Cold War of discussion threads. Two idealogical extremes - The Factoryists and The Homebrewskis - practicing a chilly, delicate confrontation. One mis-step, and the entire world of Camera Strap Diplomacy could have been set back <i>decades</i>.

<p>This one should stir up something...</p>

<p>Folks, I think no one can dispute the fact that Nkon makes the best camera in the world.  Why?  Nikon  cameras naturally produce the best pictures.  Evidence?  Famous photographers such as John Shaw and Moose Peterson use Nikon exclusively.  I believe 90% of award-winning images are shot with Nikon cameras. Need I say more?</p>

<p>If you want a good lens, the Nikkor 18-200mm VR is it.  Period!  Why?  It covers your need from wide angle to telephoto.  It naturally produces beautiful and sharp pictures.  That is why it is always in short supply because people like beautiful pictures from closeup to infinity.  People who don't know any better buy the useless 50mm lens.  These people like to "zoom with their feet".  IMO, if I want to zoom with my feet, I would rather do treadmill at the gym. Let us not confuse gym time with creativity. </p>

<p>Btw, I took 100 pictures at my backyard this morning. I think the pictures -- made with Nikon, of course -- are amazing.  The blurry artistic effects are especially outstanding.  Please check out my gallery.</p>

<p>Enjoy!<br />Nikon Photographer</p>

<p>Photographers are also generally gadgeteers and man! is that saving the Computer Industry! Always looking for the next better shade of a silver bullet they never find but keep pooring money into accessories, upgrading printers, SOFTWARE !? and better and better gear. Digital cameras certainly have their place in web work esp, but digital prints vs silver-gelatin? If someone offered you a handcrafted bronze statue or a nearly identical (!) statue made from the latest technology of plastic injection molds, which would you pick? THAT is the true difference between darkroom prints and Inkjets or GICLEES (the 20 dallor word for inkjet).</p>

Oh man, this thread has given me a really good laugh!

Don't think anyone's mentioned yet: Make either of the following statements. 1. Ansel Adams is a God. 2. Ansel Adams is a fraud.

Ask any kind of stupid question regarding copyrights.

Complain about cops/security guards harrassing you when you're standing outside the nuclear power plant/interstate bridge/Hoover Dam/White House/Pentagon/penitentiary aiming your big glass at said structure while wearing dark glasses, droopy hat, and long dark overcoat. I think someone's also mentioned the consternation demonstrated of hiding in the bushes wearing the aforementioned style while shooting with big glass at any kiddies' event or gathering.

Post your very best picture, and then complain that someone has stolen it and used it elsewhere on the internet.

Get into the nature forum, and start a thread on baiting animals, using flash on animals, changing the habitat of animals (chopping grass around a nest, for example), or talk about manipulating the heck out of your image to make it look "real".

Oh...and I vote that Lex is funnier than Josh, especially when we start to pick on the mini-state of Texas! ;-)

<p>Answer any "Opinions Please" request with an actual honest opinion instead of just saying how great their photos are, or be honest about the lens\camera that is on the way and they decided to ask about after the purchase was already made to see if it will work for their intended purpose.  Also, tell someone to try using the Search feature at the top of the page.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I thought it was a suburb of Oklahoma!"<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oklahoma is just our dusty attic. Every once in awhile we drag out a ragtag football team from the attic and have a game. Sometimes we let 'em win just so they don't get discouraged about having to live in the attic.</p>

<p>Now, for you pikers, dabblers and timid duffers, <em>that's</em> how ya start a real war: bring college football into the mix. It's so volatile we don't even bother with superfluous words like "versus". Just say the names of two teams and you've got fire: Texas-OU Weekend.  (Naturally the poor Okies always get it wrong and try to make it into OU-Texas Weekend, which everyone knows is impossible.  You can't take "OUT" the "exas".)</p>