"Loose" QC over recent batch of TRI-X 135...?

Hello,

for the last few days processing TRI-X 135 has become a burden : some of the films curl like hell (lenghtwise not edge-to-edge) when I

hang them to dry.

More annoying some of these have a **nasty** look from image #30 to the end of the film : it looks like the side of the film has been

munched : it's not flat, it looks like a wet piece of cardboard. The "image" area of the film is not affected (only the sprocket holes are) but I

wonder what will happen I put this "thing" in my carrier... (Newton rings?)

I've been a TRI-X user since 1996 and I've never ever seen this. It's not a processing problem (read : my fault) since not all the film in the

tank are abnormal. Just 1 or 2 out of 8. And it only affects image #30 and below not the entire film !?

I live in Europe but I suspect all the TRI-X on Earth come from the same plant so I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered the same

hassle. My faulty films come from a box of 100 exp. 03/2011.

It feels like a few Lucky films have hidden among my beloved TI-Xs... :-) Or has Kodak outsourced their production to China without telling

us?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how old your batch is but you may be aware that both PlusX and TriX are now coated onto the same

film base as Tmax? I dare say you know this but the drying characteristics are sure to be different. So far as I

know film batches are made once a year (ish) and still made in the USA. That doesn't explain your scrunched negs

- maybe it was a one off? I hope so!

"More annoying some of these have a **nasty** look from image #30 to the end of the film : it looks like the side of the film has been munched : it's not flat, it looks like a wet piece of cardboard. "

If you have multiple rolls exhibiting this behavior, I would suspect your camera, or developing tank, rather than the film. Have you tried other types of film in the same camera/tank in the same time frame?

Hugh :

"both PlusX and TriX are now coated onto the same film base as Tmax". Thx for the info and no I did not know it. Would the curly effect

come from this?

Brooks :

"Have you tried other types of film in the same camera/tank in the same time frame?" No cos I'm a TRI-X addict but imho the problem

happens too randomly to have a camera/tank/procedure cause. To be more specific I process 16 rolls at a time using 2 big Paterson

reels.

I've been doing it for years using the same routine as far as developing fixing and washing are concerned and suddenly this one problem

arises from time to time.

Bruce :

Sorry I have no idea. I threw the cardboard away as soon as I came home. Little would I think I would need it. :-)

Anyway the problematic films I've processed during the last 10 days belonged to an "old" box of 100. I've bought a new one which I'll

use in the weeks to come. I'll gladly report problems (or lack of) here. Thx for the replies! :-)

While defects from EK could happen, it is doubtful. I've been shooting Kodak films for over 30 years and have never seen a defect. Now, there is a first time for everything, and perhaps you have that, but it sounds more like a camera problem.

Newton rings are only seen when film is pressed against glass. Does your neg carrier have glass?

Try hanging a weighted clothespin on one end of the film. That may help with the curl, although Kodak films are usually pretty curl-free.