Buying a new film camera

Hi All-

I currently have a Canon Rebel that is 4 years old and I am looking into getting a new camera. I only have one 70mm-

90mm lens so it is not much of a big deal for me to switch from Canon to another company.I am hoping not to spend

a TON of money on a camera and I want something brand new. I have notice that there are very few film cameras still

being made. I am hoping to pick up one that will last me a while. I do not have plans to switch to digital ever. I have

been shooting tons of film lately ...Canon only only makes the EOS Elan 7NE and the EOS 1V. I think the 1V is a

bit expensive...The Elan seems to be pretty good....Nikon has the FM 10 and the F6 which seems to be a bit pricy

too. I think that the FM 10 may be alright for me but it does not have auto-exposure which I would like to have. Is

there any good film cameras out there that are reasonably priced and good quality that I have missed? Thanks for

any help you can give me in advance. Patick Mont

Buy a used EOS 3, and enjoy most of the benefits of the 1V for next to no cost. I added a 3 back in January, and it's superb - very responsive, MUCH better AF performance than my 10D (quelle surprise!) and all for a fraction of the cost of even the cheapest contemporary dSLR...

I bought an Elan 7N a few months ago, and I'm really starting to like it.

I still prefer my Canon FD gear, but the Elan isn't much harder to figure out than my Canon Rebel G.

Canon still makes 35mm Rebels, but if you want something a step up from the one you already own, then the Elan 7N or 7NE might make good sense.

They are affordable, and from what I hear, they offer pretty much all you'll need without having to fork out the dough for an EOS-1V.

I have an eos a2 that I bought used, from a friend, who went all digital. I like it very much. I also have an ae1 program that I use as well. I do not know that film cameras were still being made. I was told that they only make digital cameras now. Interesting to hear.

If you're willing to consider a used camera I think you'll find some real deals. On the advice of others on this site and echoing the opinion above I went ahead with the purchase of a like-new Canon EOS 3. I found it on Craigslist, paying $300 for the camera and PB-E2 power booster. It seems to be very well built and I would expect a long life from a model like this. The EOS 3 seems to be readily available and I think with some seaching a good sample could be found. It will run full auto and is also fully adjustable. Adding a couple of prime lenses will have me all-in for around $1000.

At this kind of price I'm thinking about buying another body for a backup.

Unless AF is a 'must-have' for you, I'd suggest going back a generation to something in the Canon FD series. Two FD bodies I use a lot are the F-1N and the T-90. The FD lenses, which are still regarded as one of, if not THE best, series of quality optics can be bought for a fraction of the original cost, since they are not compatible with the EOS series.

Going new would be nice, but I doubt it is necessary. One of the recent model Nikons or Canons can be obtained from KEH in EX, EX+ or LN condition for a fraction of their original new price. Believe me, an EX condition camera from KEH is like new to most people. While I wouldn't suggest it for you, I just bought a BGN Nikon N90 from KEH and it is in great condition. $29.00 + shipping, I couldn't believe it.

I would like to persuade you into considering good quality used equipment. I have purchased several such cameras in

my life, and the quality I received for my dollar actually exceeded the benefits I got from new-in-box equipment that I

bought on other occasions.

Back in the 90s, I used to own an EOS Rebel; I sold it off after about a year. I have purchased used cameras and

lenses almost exclusively since then. Some good used deals that I have encountered over the years that might be

worth your time, I think, include:

I would recommend the Pentax K1000, because it is all manual and very durable. Hopefully, soon camera

manufacturers will come to their senses and resume medium and small format camera body production that's on par with

user expectations. Meanwhile, I suggest the K1000 because it has few automated features. Fewer options, like no

autofocus or computer program modes, imply fewer parts to wear out or break down. Automated controls like autofocus

are basically small robots inside the cameras; over time, they're one more switch or relay to wear out. So, for longevity's

sake, I would recommend the K1000. I picked up a body for less than $150, chassis only; the K Mount works with a

wide variety of lenses.

Yashicamat 124G. Mine is 37 years old. 6X6 and the only thing that's needed replacing on it over the years has been

the battery. Not bad.

4X5 monorail view cameras, used. I was tempted to get one a few months ago. Face it; successful view camera

operation is the top of the pyramid when it comes to technical proficiency in photography. For under $2K, USD, you

could probably get a good used rig somewhere.

Field and Press cameras, used. I'm talking close to 4X5, but usually some odd, older format. Almost always found with

awesome lenses attached. As in, sometimes the lens quality often outvalues the price of the camera several times

over, but the rig is getting passed up because few people like the shape of the odd format. Something to think about.

"You know we don't sell this as a working camera," a salesman said to me once. I paid $125 for the rig. I bought $175

worth of repairs from a camera repairman who's business is several hours' drive from my home, one way. He fixed the

camera, and got it working. "They don't sell film for this anymore." I improvised and got that solved. Value of the

camera? For me to replace one lens, new, over 2,000 Swiss Francs. The camera came with three. The body by itself sells in major

cities in the US for about $800. There's no way I could have afforded it new. It's mine because everyone else gave up on that old

beast. I love using that old clunky thing.

I'm sure you'll find other folks with some similar success stories. Buying a used camera isn't quite like buying a used

car. Usually, as long as you can get a tech to run a quick check on the shutter speed, the mechanical soundness of the

camera will be pretty close to your own assessment of a visual inspection of the camera body, I'd bet. Recommend you

consider used. For the buck, I'd go medium format while you can. Almost any medium format camera is a good choice.

The Nikon F100 can still be had new for about $799.00 at BHPhoto. (not in production anymore but new ones are still out there) and in like new used condition for about $275 at KEH.com. It was the choice of many professionals for a long stretch..It has pretty much full features of a modern auto focus camera. The Nikon FM10 has also been dropped from production but it was actually a student camera made by Cosina for Nikon. It is cheaply made. Of course the F6 is a wonder camera but like you said it is expensive. Might be something to consider since you are not going to switch to digital. Leica makes great rangefinder camera's new but they are to expensive. The Bessa voightlander is a rangefinder also with a few electronic features at an affordable price. Quality of the bessa is not in the same league as the Leica but they are much less expensive. I am considering one of them as a light take anywhere camera.

You're in a buyer's market right now, good time to buy film equipment, as well as a house. I echo what all the others have said about KEH, in the last couple of years I've picked up an eos 3 and ivhs for a fraction of what they were new. I have all canon film and digital (even FD), but I've been tempted by the Nikon and Bessa film cams since there are bargains out there. Good luck, as I said, it's a fun time for film, I just got a 10-roll pack of Ektar 100 yesterday, Tom

Get yourself a Minolta X-700, there's hundreds of them in good shape on the used market - Ebay, and sometimes there offered overhauled/refurbished by experts who do it themselves at a steal. But mostly, the Rokkor & MD lenses that go with them are also widely available at good prices, and are very good quality - ask anyone.