2nd Leica Body - M6 or MP

After using larger format cameras for a number of years I purchased a used Leica M6 Classic a couple of years ago

and have been enjoying 35mm photography again. I'm thinking of purchasing a second body for a spare as I travel.

I'm not sure whether I should look for a second M6 or look for a new or newer MP. From what I can gather there isn't

much different in the actual use of either one. I've had some one suggest that the MP rewind knob would seem

difficult after using the M6 slanted rewind. Other than that, is there any other difference that I should be aware of? Is

the MP a better? built camera? Any suggestions or comments?

William D. Lester

The MP has a fix for the infamous 'rangefinder flare' (that can also be retrofitted to the older cameras for a

price):

http://nemeng.com/leica/020b.shtml

The retro wind-on lever and rewind knob may or may not be to your taste. Grand Yanr is probably thinking off TTL

flash metering, included in the later 'M6-TTL', but absent from both the MP and M6 'classic'. The MP has a brass

top plate (M6 is Zn).

There are quite a few little differences. I have both - a black .72 classic M6 and a chrome .85 MP.

The MP meter is more sensitive and the viewfinder indications provide a little more info.

I believe the MP is more robust (brass top plate)

The rewind knob is an interesting one. The slanted M6 one is definitely quicker to use. Personally I prefer the M3 type pull up knob on the MP because a) to me it's aesthetically more pleasing and b) the reason for the slant was so that the lever would clear the meter designed to sit on top of the M4. It was an acceptable solution at the time but it's not required for the TTL camera which should really have a straight lever such as is found on the Red Flag chinese Leica copy.

Get an M6 Classic, perhaps the finest example of the breed, and use the rest of the money to get more lenses. After all,

twice as many cameras means you need more glass, right?:) The MP is a fun toy, but it really is a toy - ergonomics

ignored for the sake of custom, with no functional gain over the M6. An M7 would be a possibility if you wanted more

automation, but an M6TTL.....who uses flash w/ a leica again?

M6 remains the best deal ever for a modern (light-metering) Leica M. Establishing the differences in the picture taking

ability of it (i.e., quality of images produced) and a modern MP is a thankless exercise - there are surely none.

An M7 puts you into the risk of operating only at 1/90 th (or something similar) shutter speed when your battery fails and you forgot to pack

a replacement.

If you are switching back and forth between cameras it is best to have the exact same model. Only difference I would recommend would be to have the second one different in the finish, i.e. if you have the black version then get the chrome or visa versa. One would be loaded with color and one with black and white.

A new MP will run you $4000, a used one is pretty close to that as well. An M6 Classic (or TTL) goes for about $1300 in EX condition. I would get a different color body and a RF magnification is you do substantial wide angle or telephoto shooting. The .58 is a pure delight with a 28, i however prefer a .85 with a 50mm, it has just that much more compositional precision, and sometimes, the added focusing accuracy can be useful.

With the money you save with a 2nd M6, get yourself a real nice lens to go with the second body. What lens' do you own/use. That could determine whether or not you would want a .58x .72x or .85x mag.

To MP or not to MP? <p>

In dollar terms,<br>

a difference of 2 or 3 grand,<br>

yet would that account for,<br>

a difference in class?<br>

<br>

There's something about MP,<br>

a subtle, classic grace,<br>

missing from those flamboyant cousins,<br>

who like to say <br>

"Hiya! I am a Leica M6."<br>

Some may even add, loudly,<br>

"I am a TTL."<br>

And they'll all be showing off the red dot dress.<br>

Attention getters!<br>

<br>

Not so the MP.<br>

If MP were a woman, <br>

she might be Grace Kelly.<br>

Her understated elegance,<br>

puts the subject at ease.<br>

Some might even guess, she's a Vogltlander or Ikon... <br>

a non VIP.<br>

Let the silly ones wonder.<br>

In the meantime, the shutter clicks,<br>

we capture their puzzlement,<br>

in the most natural form.<br>

<br>

What's 4 grand anyway?<br>

With APPL stocks, you'd get about 40 today;<br>

and it might not even hold value,<br>

like the MP may.<br>

<br>

Anyway, since you had to ask,<br>

I'd probably say<br>

M6<br>

Then again, since you had to ask,<br>

I'd also say<br>

MP.<br>

I love my mp. its functional and beautiful. If price isn't a big deal then if i where you i would get the mp-6. its an m6, but it

looks like an mp with the nice paint, but it has the bigger dial witch i would have preferred to change speeds in fast timing.

If you wanna save up for some lenses then go for the m6ttl with the bigger dial ;P. I guess it all depends on why you want

another m body. Have fun- Cole

Thanks for the responses. They're great - but I probably knew that like most things there is no clear cut right answer.

The M6 is a great camera and I have no particular gripes with it other than the viewfinder flare and the fact that it is probably around 25 years old. I guess.

I'm considering the MP because I can buy it new if I decide to spend that much money and as Leica states, it is a 'camera for life'. Probably the last that I would buy. My Linhof large format and Hasselblad medium format cameras have never given me a reason to want to replace them. The quality and simplicity of their design and use is what appeals to me.

I own the newer silver 50mm Elmar M collapsible lens which I purchased new, the 35mm Summicron black 6 bit which I also purchased new and a black 90mm Elmarit M? - the recent one with the built in retractible hood which I purchased on Ebay. I really don't think I want any more lenses. I just don't want to carry a lot of stuff. I have been carrying mostly the 35 and 90 lately. Even that is one lens too many at times. I was pretty happy carrying just the 50 for a couple of years. Like a friend once said to me "You work with what you've got" It was good advice.

I do wear eyeglasses and can't see the 28mm viewfinder lines with my .72 eyepiece. The .58 does interest me but I also use the 90mm and those frame lines would appear smaller with the .58 right? Maybe it is best to stick with the .72.

Am I correct in that I'm not seeing the carrying strap prtecting bumpers on the ends of the MP? Does that really matter much?

What is a MP-6? I've never heard of this.

William D. Lester

"I do wear eyeglasses and can't see the 28mm viewfinder lines with my .72 eyepiece. The .58 does interest me but I also use the 90mm and those frame lines would appear smaller with the .58 right? Maybe it is best to stick with the .72."

Maybe. Are you comfortable with the 35mm lines on your 0.72 finder? If so, and you're mainly using 35mm and 90mm lenses, why go for the 0.58 finder? If not, then the 0.58 finder should help with the 35mm lines, and an eyepiece magnifier would help with the 90mm lines --- especially if you're not using a 90 lens all that often. I'd borrow or rent a body with the 0.58 finder to give it a whirl, before plunking down the money.