Arista Premium film: is this stuff Tri-X?

dougb1

I buy my 5222 short ends from Film Emporium. A few years ago they also carried Ilford motion picture short ends, but eventually discontinued them. As I recall, the motion picture version of HP5+ went for only 5 cents a foot! They even had bulk SFX. Sorry about getting off subject. Just wanted to pass the time until someone posts more info about Arista Premium. I tired googling, but only found references for Arista premium chemicals.

I thought the 160 speed Portra film were also being improved. I haven't read anything about further improvement of the 800 speed portra film but that's pretty good already. Ilford stopped making motion picture film several years ago. I still have a 200 foot roll of the Pan F+ stock. My experience with Pan F and Pan F+ is that it lasts a long time but once you shoot it you shouldn't wait too long to develop it. If the Freestytle film turns out to be something only partially made in the U.S. that will be a disappointment. I thought I saw a new "Made In U.S.A. 125 speed film in the Freestyle film developing chart but the film itself isn't listed for sale. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the film was supplied by Kodak. At one time Fuji did not sell private label film. Now this is the film sold under the Walgreens and CVS names. The CVS film was supplied for a long time by Konica and the last version of the Walgreens film came from Agfa. Clark would periodically change its supplier. I must have Clark film in the freezer from several different suppliers. The Agfa made stock was OK at the slower speeds but I would rate the 400 film at 320 with good results. This was before the Portra and UC films were available.

I visited Freestyle's website and noticed a photo of individually boxed rolls of Arista Premium in 100 and 400 speeds. I think I will wait until they can be ordered rather than trying a whole bulk roll. If these emulsions turn out to be Tri-X and Plus-X, I would imagine that they will quickly become top sellers.

I don't think it is Tri-X/Plus-X. I talked with Freestyle at great length about it because I need a 400 ASA 35mm film that can be pushed to 1600/3200. Their recommendation was Tri-X or HP5 (what I'm currently using). It sounded like Arista Ultra EDU is rebranded Foma Pan (which is one of my favorite films rated at 400), but we didn't get into much detail on the Arista Premium, other than the fact that I probably wouldn't be able to push it to the level I need for this project.

If I misunderstood and the Arista Premium IS Kodak traditional emulsion, I'm probably going to empty my bank account into Freestyle's and fill my freezer with it :-).

I can confirm that Arista Premium 400 is indeed Tri-X. I developed a roll of Tri-X and Arista Premium 400 in the same tank today. Here are my scans from a Minolta Dimage Scan III. No sharpening or "noise" reduction added. Camera is tripod mounted Canon EF with Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 s.s.c. macro.<div>00QT2x-63363584.jpg.754ef5fa53e0d26abf94872c2fbe1a0e.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

So I wrote and asked about 120 and sheet film. This is the answer.

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:58 PM, <xxx@freestylephoto.biz> wrote:

Hi Michael

Thanks for your e-mail. You pretty much answered your own question with

your market response comment. If the response is good to the 35mm, then

we can (and will) ask the manufacturer for more sizes, including 120 and

sheet films.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, I'll post some stuff I've done with the Arista Premium 100. I loaded a roll of the Arista into one body with a Tamron 28mm lens, and set the meter for 125 ASA (not 100 as the box speed), then loaded a roll of PX125 in another body with an old Promaster Spectrum 7 28mm lens and set the meter for 125 ASA. Both meters agreed when I framed the shots, and for the most part these two camera bodies both do a reasonable job of metering.

I developed both rolls in the same tank in DD-X at 75F for 4:30 (as per Ilford's recommendation in their developer chart for PlusX).

The scans are done on a cheap Epson 4180, not a high end scanner. You can also see a little evidence of my variations in framing, etc.

I didn't scan any more than these, since they seem pretty much indistinguishable. Without the rebate information I don't know that I could identify which was which.

Here you are: http://www.industrialinformatics.com/PhotoCenter/PlusX_Arista.zip

Hope someone gets some decent info out of this, even though this thread is old.

MB

• 1 month later...