B&W with most contrast

I am an amature photographer. I have developed Tri-x a couple of times on my own but rely on photo labs to develop

most of my film. I love to push Tri-x and have even pushed it to 3200 for extra cotrast. I want to know if you

recommend any other film that offers more contrast than Tri-x. I don't care about grain or anything else. I just want

more contrast! IAny recommendations? Also if you were to list these films from most contrast to least what order

would you list them?

Neo pan 3200

Delta 100

Tri-X

Plus-X

T-Max

How much contrast do you want? Take a film, any film, expose it normally and then subject it to a 1 or 2 stop push development. That should do it for ya. Slower films are generally more contrasty than faster films, so you might want to try this with something around 100 ISO.

Honestly, excessive contrast isn't my thing. Printing a normal contrast negative onto a grade 5 or equivalent paper is off the charts for me. If you are scanning the film, then it doesn't matter because you can do anything you want in post processing.

Stephen called it, I think. Graphic Arts or document type films are designed for max. contrast, but can be tamed with special developers and processing techniques. They are incredibly slow (EI 3-12 typically), but incredibly fine grained as well. Most are plain, blue-sensitive, but some are orthochromatic, and a few document films are panchromatic, so you have a variety of spectral sensitivities to choose from. Freestyle Photo's APHS Ortho is a good film, and very cheap. Good luck, and have fun!

EFKE films and Ilford PanF+ tend to be quite contrasty when exposed and developed using standard times. Any black and white film can be made to be more contrasty by exposing for less time and developing for more time than the rated box speed and development times. The more you go this route the more contrast you'll get. A good starting point would be doubling the box speed and adding %15 to the development time - this should give you quite a bit more contrast. If you just adjust the film speed but not the development time you won't get overly good results, at least in my experience.

- Randy

There was a film called Technical Pan. It was discontinued in all sizes some time ago. If you donlt need the extra speed then a document type film will give you high contrast more easily. Kodak Imagelink HQ film would do a good job and is still available.

Hi to ALL, the highest contrast is obtained with the legendary lithographic films. The offerings for photographers in recent years are reduced. Often lith film producers offering only sheet films.

Therefore, it is pleased to notice that the lith film fan community can buy under the name ROLLEI SUPERGRPAHIC ATO 2.1 now fresh from a production, lith films in 35mm cartridges, and 60mm roll film.

The market introduction is done now for several days in Europe.

Cheers