what editing program do u use?

Paint Shop Pro X is really good for the money, but make sure it'll handle your camera's RAW files first. Otherwise it's affordable, easy to use and has some great tools, such as simple filters to remove chromatic aberration.

Photoshop Elements is really good too for the money.

I love Corel products. I have purchased many editing programs and I keep coming back to this one. Paint Shop Pro is easy to use and fairly inexpensive. It also has additional add ons. One such add on is Corel Draw. It is great for desiging ie.. logos, cards and ads. Here is the link. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1150905725000

Jennifer

i have the photoshop elements now i like it but i wish it explained more about how to use all of what it has... like i feel as thought i dont use it to its potential I feel there is way more that it can do but I don?t know how to do it.. and the help doesn?t really work good?.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom or if that is too expensive Adobe Photoshop Elements. You'll end up with Photoshop anyway probably and you might start getting familiar wit hthe the basic Photoshop interfaces and shortcuts. Current versions of Elements do about 90% of what the full version of Photoshop CS3 does.

"The Creative Digital Darkroom" by Katrin Eismann and Sean Duggal is a first class, readable (meaning: useful) guide.

Don't laugh! I use Picassa to adjust contrast and one step sharpening. I have Photoshop CS3 but so far have I have learned to adjust RAW and then adjust contrast and USM. CS3 frustrates me simply because I dont know enough. Now learning with a book and DVD.

Whevever I can't handle Photoshop I go to Picassa. I spend more time in getting it right in the camera in the first place. Regards ifti

Maureen - I have Elements 5 - I also purchased Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop Elements 5 Book" - best purchase I ever made. Over 480 pages of easy to read "how to", you simply go to the section/page you're interested in and follow instructions - it's that easy.

I use picassa as well. I tried photoshop elements and yes, its good, but you have to really want to know how to use it to take the time to learn. It's got a steep learning curve. Josh said Paintshop "is a truly awful non-intuitive program in my opinion", I could say the same thing about photoshop.

I use Photo Shop. Started about 10 years ago with this program and I can't live without it now. That was about the same time I went to a using a Digital Camera.

I noticed some of the folks are using Googles' Picassa program to do their Raw file editing. I use this too for fast uploads to a web gallery. I must admitt that I have been trying very hard not to depend on the computer programs to "touch up" my pictures as much as I did in the past. How did we get along before Adobe and Corel?

Cheers--<div>00OdTJ-42048184.thumb.jpg.48cfae3fbc7bc4abcf03f4f406227768.jpg</div>

Maureen if you have PS Element now (what version do you have?) there is little you cannot do with Element that you can do with PS CS2 or 3, but it requires a bit of working around it. I would suggest a good book on Element would be a wiser investment than a more expensive software that would still leave you feeling you are not using it's full potential. There are plenty of good instruction books around and many will show you step by step aproaches to any number of photo editing techniques you may dream of. Also some photo mags like Digital Camera Magazine for instance have great instructions including DVD video with each issue, and they make a good effort to include Element in their tutorial instead of only CS2 or 3 as most other mags do. Good luck. Regards - michel

Well, I have a right rat-bag of programs - picassa, irfran, PSE5, CS3, Noiseware Pro, both plug-in and stand-alone.

I use them for different things - Irfran is my fave for re-sizing batches of small jpegs that I take in my real estate career, because it is fast and so easy, and free. Picassa is not used much any more, but when I first got my XTi, it was used for everything on jpegs. PSE5 is not much used, because it has limitations that require CS3 to get past. Noiseware Pro for noise removal.

Oh, and don't forget DPP that comes with Canon cameras - it is a decent tool for many things.

My route is not the route for everyone, but I've been that way with software for most of the 24 years I've been computing.

With PSE, CS3, Lightroom, you can download 30 day trials fome adobe.com

HTH

The Elements editor is OK but I have stopped using it account of its organizer. If you have it though, learn to use it. I beta tested Lightroom early on and just didn't care for it. I use ACD Pro 2 for about 80% of my editing and all image management, Photoshop CS for most of the rest. I have PSP (one of the later versions) and never use it. I also have Painter and Canvas X, both of which I rarely use. You probably have a good editor that came with your camera as well, especially if you shoot RAW.

I have access to cs 3 but I most often use FastStone Image Viewer. Its free to download. Its intuitive. It handles RAW files from all the cameras[Dont know about D3 and D 300 though]. It has ALL the features that CS3 has which we non professionals are ever likely to use. My advice: Don't spend anything on this. Go for FastStone. And yes, Paint.net from Microsoft is again free to download and does many things that CS3 does and FastStone does'nt.

Bibble Pro for RAW processing, then GIMP for everything needing layers, final editing and resizing. Everything on Mac, so I use iphoto for keeping track of the original photos... but I'm actually rather sloppy at this part. GIMP is free, runs under mac, windows and linux, and is really powerful (not as cs3 I suppose, but I would bet more than elements). Ciao. L.