Does the new Nikon D3 make you want to jump ship to Nikon?

evangelos_koutsavdis

Nah, I respect Nikon, but the D3 isn't a major or any leap above the MKIII. However, I am tempted to get the smaller D300 to compliment my MKIII as a more travel light camera and to utilize some of Nikon's strengths. Also, most of us do not know what Canon has on the horizon so don't count out Canon as coming up with a 1D MKIII full-frame. However, most sports shooters don't want a full frame camera anyway so to compete with the Nikon D3 we'd need a FF and EF-S Canon dSLR all in one. What do I know? I like to use both systems, don't limit yourself to one system.

I put in an order for the D3 when it was announced. I bought the 5D specifically for an event I am shooting this weekend as my Nikon D80 does not do a good job on. I shot a wedding with the 5D last weekend.

The image quality of the 5D is superb and I doubt that the D3 will be that much better, if at all. Granted it does not have a lot of extra features but the only feature I really want it great pictures, and the 5D delivers them to me.

I plan to make my final decision on Sunday after the Saturday PM shoot but so far the 5D has done nothing but impress me.

Nikon does seem to be pulling away from canon these days. Canon needs to wake up and pick up the pace a little. Flash system and AF on there new 40d has not changed since the 20d. Nikons D200 is still better than the "ALL NEW" 40d.

Canon WAKE UP!

Canon was there first and still have a higher resolution sensor. I own the Canon lens line, and Canon has a huge advantage in their tilt shift series of lenses at 3 nicely spaced focal lengths. I would not switch if it were 21mp at $5k. Now, 25 mp, greater high iso permance, maybe. Jumping equipment, though, even with that non-existent model, probably would not make sense. Unless there are CLEAR performance differences it's the Indian, not the arrow, that makes the difference.

What really amuses me is set of hundreds of posts over the years claiming that smaller sensors were better, that Nikon did not want to do larger sensors, and smaller sensors would be the future. How blindly loyal to accept this excuse rather than the simple fact that they could not do it before.

"What really amuses me is set of hundreds of posts over the years claiming that smaller sensors were better, that Nikon did not want to do larger sensors, and smaller sensors would be the future. How blindly loyal to accept this excuse rather than the simple fact that they could not do it before."

Amen to that Armando! If Nikon had been able to make FF sensor they would have made it 6 years ago. The 11 mpx FF EOS 1 Ds was marketed in November 2002!

I'm glad Nikon makes FF now, hopefully that will drive down the prices of FF cameras. It's good for everybody.

Frank Skomial, Nov 15, 2007; 10:05 a.m.

Not really, there is no 16 MP and no 21 MP cameras in Nikon line. Also lens selection from Nikon is much to desire.

ditto. AF lenses selection is important to me. I dont' care about MF lenses so old MF lenses is not in my consideration. People already invested heavily in canon will less likely to switch just because nikon has the first FF camera. Not justify for the advantage gain. I think the new D3 sensors are made by SONY. If SONY comes up it's own FF camera, that will have a huge impact on Nikon sale. good luck to nikon users.

The question would be much more interesting if my Canon lens would fit on a Nikon body

and Nikon lens fit Canon bodies. Then we, the consumer would be able to choose the most

suitable body to use for our photographic needs. The way things are today I have too much

invested in Canon glass to even consider Nikon, even if I do feel that Nikon's recent releases

are superior to Canon.

For sports photography the 1D3 is by far the better beast (compared to the D3) (it doesn't have the disadvantage of being FF for a start) - for Studio photography the 1Ds3 is by far the better beast - so what does the D3 offer me? - nothing.

In my opinion all the D3 does is try to compete against the 5D, but at twice the price.

Canon - you're doing just fine - keep up the good work.

<p>

Troll or not, I don't really care, the original poster just has a fair question regarding high

iso performance. And I think for some, it might just be reason enough to make a switch.

We're not talking about a small margin here; the D3 makes photos at iso 6400 that for

instance the 5D makes at 1600, as far as I can judge from the examples I've seen (the ones

on Ken Rockwell's site). There's a big price difference though, but we'll see how large the

difference will be with the 5D mkII ...

</p>

<p>

The real question here, I think, is that how important is high iso performance to you?

Ofcourse it sounds stupid to make a switch when you have lots of Canon gear already, but

what if you're the kind of photographer that has to take good photos in low light without

strobing people blind with flash?

</p>

"...the original poster just has a fair question regarding high iso performance..."

You are simply making that up -- the OP asked/said nothing to that effect. I am not arguing who is better at high ISO -- the *old* 5D or the brand new, fresh Nikon D3. I really do not care as the 5D and it successor (certainly will) is _perfectly fine_ (better than film ever was) at high ISO.

I have nothing against Nikon; I actually admire them, and as I've posted in the past, N v. C is good for both camps, long live N!

The Nikon D3 looks like a stunning competitor to the Canon 1DMKIII. (Not the 1Ds series

or the 5D for reasons I won't go into here.)

I have no doubt that it is a great camera in many ways.

It wouldn't induce me to switch from Canon though - for a bunch of reasons. I'm a 5D

shooter and the D3 costs about twice the current cost of a 5D. While it has some

additional features, they are not very important for the type of shooting I do. In addition,

the cost of my lenses must be taken into consideration. Finally, "jumping ship" on the

basis of one manufacturer or the others newest camera being really cool is a bad strategy

on a long term basis.

I'm very glad to see more effective competition coming from Nikon in the FF space.