Does the new Nikon D3 make you want to jump ship to Nikon?

evangelos_koutsavdis

No. Nikon in the world of digital is 3-5 years behind Canon in most things. Big, Fast glass with IS? 3-5 years after Canon, Nikon finally came out with them. This is why all the white lenses on the sidelines of sports events... Nikon left their shooters high and dry and many switched for the performance now rather than wait.

Now the D300... IF it is what Nikon specs show it will be worth it. Much better (on paper so far) than the 40D and apparently a worth challenger in many respects to the 1DMkIII. It is the camera that Canon should have come out with instead of the 30D, most certainly instead of the 40D. A good jump forward instead of these incremental improvements made just to enhance the bottom line.

Nikon history is to bring out a new model when needed rather than just as one more marketing tool, especially on the pro/prosumer level.

• 3 weeks later...

"This is why all the white lenses on the sidelines of sports events... "

Ha, you don't seriously believe that marketing drivel do you? One look at the people

featured in the ad and it's fairly obvious they are NOT professional photographers. Canon

gives their stuff away with great ease. Nikon does not. They do not endorse every tom

dick & harry out there. Take Art Wolfe: when all his gear was stolen he asked Nikon to

sponsor him and they told him "No." So, then he whines to Canon and they give him

everything he wants. Does that mean that they make better equipment? No, of course

not....what it means is that a professional photographer has a budget, and doesn't have

deep pockets the way that most chimping well-healed amateurs do. They will take the

free camera regardless of what brand it is.

• 1 month later...
The D3 is a great camera. I believe that the 5D image quality is at least as good as the D3. I don't need it right now. Will buy the 5D replacement when it comes. I'm sure the D3 is 'better' for a lot of pro applications, bigger, stronger, dual CF cards, higher frame rate, as good or better high ISO, bigger better LCD etc. But it's a tank, expensive and it won't use my Canon lenses. I know, I know Nikon has great lenses. Marc Williams, I'm curious what camera and system you ended up with for your wedding work after your recent agida?

"I think the new D3 sensors are made by SONY. If SONY comes up it's own FF camera, that

will have a huge impact on Nikon sale. good luck to nikon users."

anson - I think you serously underestimate what it takes to produce an excellent camera. It's

more than just a sensor. And Nikon has excellent sesnsor designers. SO I don't think Nikon

need worry too much about Sony, except in the p&s segment.