Planning vs. gut reaction? How do you shoot?

<p>Hello all. I had a critique of a photo on a different site the other day that got me thinking... Essentially, the message was to be able to describe why I took/take a particular photo(s). Now, it was a fine critique and I appreciate the input, but what it got me wondering is this: how many of us actually consciously "see" the small details in a shot that make it successful BEFORE we shoot? My response in that situation was that the scene "caught my eye". In thinking back, that's how it seems to be for me. Something internal tells me that "this is a good shot", and if my I get my technique right, and the gods are smiling on me, SOMETIMES I get what I even better than I at first thought it might be. I also wonder if this happens more in some types of work than others: say, more in street work than in standard portraiture, etc. <br />I will add that to me, the little surprises that you find in a shot during the editing process are a huge part of the "magic" of photography and what makes it so much fun.<br />So, what say you? What has been your experience relating to "gut shooting" vs planning a shot?</p>

<p>I'll give this a go....<br /> For landscape work...I plan....I go before I'm gonna go shoot...walk the area, sometimes take a few snaps and decide on the time of day for the final shoot...then go back at the appropriate time and shoot....this of course only works for stuff within reasonable driving distance.</p>

<p>I live only short distances to lots of mountain country... So sometimes we plan a day to just go shoot...usally leaving early in the a.m. head off to the mountains and just explore and shoot...In that situation if I find something I want to capture...I will spend some time again walking the area deciding on angle, foreground, etc... A lot of times I will take the scene from more than one angle depending the subject matter... I like to shoot old barns and cabins...Often time I'll take some shots with my 28-75 depending on how close I can get and then shoot again with my 11-18 on the wide side to get a different look....</p>

<p>Shooting from hip has returned some nice work and the surprise when ya start looking through images and see one ya didn't plan is great....</p>

<p>Well I don't know if thats what you were looking for...but thats what I do for the most part....</p>

<p>Amy-I agree with you. I may preplan a shot but if I get a gut feeling I go with it as well; I'd be a fool not to shoot based on a gut feeling because it didn't match my preconception. I did that back in my film days and, let's face it, it's so much easier to do with digital as there is no extra cost involved other than time and effort and that's what getting 'the shot' is about. I agree with everything you said. Happy shooting! regards, cb :-)</p>

<p>With my wildlife photography, it's hard to truly plan much more then where to be and when to be there (Captive animals are a different story of course). I go where I have a good chance of seeing something at a time when I believe they will be active, but it's a lot of improvisation from there. For example the shot of the <a href="../photo/8580055">Red Tailed Hawk</a> was a lot of luck. I showed up where I thought they might be, but before I even got out of my car (It was still running) it landed on the branch not even 20 feet from me after cleaning up in a little creek and I took the shot through my open car window. I can't claim much planning on that one. On my <a href="../photo/6560778">Mallards In Flight</a> I knew they would be coming to a certain lake at a certain time into the wind and I set up and waited for them, considerably more planning involed. This is afterall art, and should consist of both a vision and feeling.</p>

<p>I go to many places around western Washington repeatedly (one of the nice things about photography is that you can go to the same place over and over, yet it's never the same). So I generally have a pretty good idea what to expect in terms of photographic opportunities (although the unique surprises are half the fun). Only once or twice have I preconceived an exact image before setting out. I simply walk and look for what I consider good photographic possibilities - it's a gut reaction but based on a fair amount of experience. Once I'm looking through the viewfinder, however, I do look for the small details and I compose very carefully. My reaction when reviewing my shots back home is either "I got it!" or "Darn, I missed it - this is what I need to do next time." A few times, however, I have been shocked that I didn't see a very important element in a photo, one that really made the shot worthwhile. So in essence, it's the full range you describe: some pre-planning, some on-the-spot instincts, some degree of consideration when looking through the viewfinder, and some surprises on the monitor or light table. One of my goals is to develop a good photographic eye so that the "I got it!" are frequent and the surprises are fewer.</p>

<p>There have been a number of times when I have carefully planned out a shot, having been there several times in different light to get what I want. I will take a number of careful shots on a tripod as the light changes, etc. I will then see something off to the side - take the camera and snap a quick shot of it and go back to what I was there for. The shot that works is the snap off to the side...<br>

Mark</p>

<p>My experience is the same as Ken's - a lot of planning and visualizing the image I want before actually shooting, sometimes several trips to the scene beforehand. Annoys the hell out of my wife, when she's along. But then, quite frequently, there's the "shot on the way to the shot" (quoting a photographer who's name I can't recall). That's when I'm driving to the planned shoot, looking to the left or right and something I didn't see before just jumps out at me. I say, "Whoa -check that out!) and slam on the brakes. (I really should let my wife drive to these things.) That kind of scene is so obvious that the usual dithering is not needed. Sometimes, it turns out to be a better shot than the one I had planned - which is kind of frustrating, in a way.....</p>

Amy,

Shooting models and nudes may be a little different than scenic wonderments in that you have more control (some of the

time) of your subject. I believe that as you mature as a photographer you start to see more than you did when you first

started out. You are cognizant of more things than you used to be as you learn more and more of your craft. Some of what

you see becomes second nature to you. You don't have to consciously look for catch lights in the eyes, the edge of the

hand, cascading fingers, hair in the eyes, etc. - many of these are seen without seeing. You can than concentrate on more

subtle things that go into your image - such as emotions enhanced by your lighting and model's slight movement of an eye

or her body.

This is why it is so important to have your photographs critiqued by others. They may see things that you never would

notice. This is also why it is so important to know what you a trying to achieve (communicate to the viewer) with your

photograph and to tell the person who is critiquing it.

The spur of the moment idea or impulse may lead to a wonderful photograph, but I think most of us have an idea in mind

before we go out to shoot. Experience allows us to deviate from that plan in such a way that the image will be enhanced.

Mark

<p>That's a "chicken and the egg" question. It's both. For shooting landscapes or outdoors, I will go there a couple of times. Places in the city where I make pictures, I go there again and again. Sometimes there will library research or interviews or talks with people; especially about things I don't understand or often deal with myself. Tabletop setups, are almost entirely planned, but then again, may depart from the shot list. It's both. Part of it is going to be to reload the camera, fire it up and make a picture. Another part of it will be remaining open to what's before you.</p>

<p>I guess one of the cutoffs would be; I wouldn't think it's a good idea to walk around waiting for inspiration. You'll probably be waiting long enough to give up making photos altogether. So, some of it will rely on planning and intent. Meanwhile, there's nothing wrong with picking something else up along the way.</p>

<p>You asked, do we see all the small details before we shoot? For me, the answer is, No. I do not. I see many, many more details in the darkroom than I would on scene. In fact, for me, being a detail-oriented person; the picture will look better for me if I am looking at things overall. Again, it would go back to who you are, and how you are shooting. Overall, I would say that there are no absolutes; but, don't fall into the old trap of "Oh, there's nothing to shoot here. I need this or that instead of what I have. I will come back later and shoot." The "Inspiration Chase" can fool us and fuel us with unnecessary equipment purchases. It could be that some salesmen count on it.</p>

<p>Inspiration and discovery can help boost an idea from the plan into a better idea; but, overall, it's good to have a foundation in planning of some kind. Otherwise, you may not get seriously started and get anything done. It's kind of circular; but, it's not one or the other, it's both.</p>

<p>Planning works sometimes, but is very hard with critters outdoors in the wild. Last February when it was really, really cold... were talking MINUS 25 to 30 Celsius, Canada geese would come land on the Oldman river every day. the river emitted a really cool, interesting steam/fog as it froze over. </p>

<p>I went out every day for a couple weeks in that intense cold hoping to capture what I saw before the geese took off and before my camera froze up for the day. Finally after about 400 or 500 shots during that time frame, I got the one that 'worked' </p>

<p>I finally decided the ice was frozen enough to walk over it to the west side AND the sun burst out of the clouds at the same time, and the geese were used to me I started shooting. So, I knew what I wanted to capture and was fortunate that nature cooperated, but in my gut I knew that was going to be very difficult to do.</p>

<p>Most everything else is gut reaction, even though I have a good general idea what I want before I head out. Black bear running across a river with her cubs, eagle flying into storm cloud sun beams and so on are the lucky added bonuses that make it extra special.</p><div>00SkfU-115899584.jpg.aaf877ea57323f268eb65a0bbee78cb5.jpg</div>

<p>Here are a couple of 'gut reaction' shots you couldn't plan if you tried.</p>

<p>The mother bear and cubs running across the river (without me getting mauled at the other end) and this bird (probably an eagle) flying right into the sunbeams just like I hoped it would.</p>

<p>There were no specific plans for either day, just be outdoors in Waterton enjoying nature. If you come back with some nice shots, all the better. Neither photo was "fixed" in PhotoShop not even autoadjust, other than the eagle, cropping it a little to make it fit a 12x18 print size.</p><div>00Skft-115901584.jpg.aa948fc2a9b471c2b15968b57f53f825.jpg</div>

<p>Not everything can be planned. Some things need to be planned though, like where to go, when to go and what to take with you, even what to have ready in your hadn if something pops up. But even then the details need to be worked out in the field.<br>

Sometimes I go out purely looking for possibilities. Sometimes I have seen some scene previously and visualized how the picture of it should look and I'm going out to take it. I don't think that detracts so much from the gut shooting; after all, I had to find the scene in the first place.</p>

<p>Both approaches have their places. We cannot afford to neglect either, except in some special cases when either nothing can be planned (practically speaking) or gut reaction cannot be depended upon to deliver. When we can, best to go with both, complemented by what you may have learned from experience.</p>

<p>As other have mentioned here there is no one answer. Landscape and studio work probably tend to sit more at the planned end of the spectrum, although as shown above, gut reation opportunities do arise.<br>

On the other end of the spectrum, street and documentary work are probably more gut feel, however planning for these genres most likely occur at another level; not what your are going to shoot but where and what you want to show.<br>

Personally, I tend to be very documentary in my style and for new places I often find that where an initial visit let me achieve "gut reaction" shots, I often find a need to return with more of a plan about what and how I need to shoot to capture shots that portay the environment. If you are going out to photograph, then at some level, you do need a plan...</p>

<p>Both... but in general I know which I'm gonig to shoot before going out... thus... sometimes I bring out a PNS and just have fun, and sometimes I bring serious equipment and take my time. Either way, the bulk of the images are either crap or so-so, but thats just life. The good ones... just happen. I know WHEN they happen, but I can't always say why. But I almost always know when. I don't shoot digital, I shoot film, but it doesn't matter, I don't need to chimp to know when I nailed it.</p>

<p>This has been an interesting thread. Thanks to all for joining in. As I suspected, elements of both are important. I do lean more toward "gut shooting", and I can see that I do, indeed, need to plan more. It is interesting to hear what the landscapers vs. the portraitists vs the street photographers do.</p>

<p>My planning only goes as far as keeping my camera clean, and close by, if not slung on my shoulder, and after that I forget it is even there. In my work environment, I've been kind of lucky because the opportunities for landscape, portrait, and action are always there. I've gotten so used to "gut shooting" that I sometimes think I've developed an aversion to any kind of contrived or planned shot. Depends on the situation, I guess, but I trust my instincts no matter what. </p>

<p>I do photography just for fun. It's a way for me to capture what I find interesting. With that said, I typically plan my locations, but not my shots. If I am going to a new city, I do some research on it before I get there, to see what the areas of interest are. Once there, I just walk around with my camera and shoot whatever catches my eye. When I'm in my own city, it's pretty much the same thing. I know what I am apt to find at various locations and chose my destination based on what I feel like shooting. There are times when I will pass a particular scene multiple times, each time vowing to come back to shoot it. Sometimes I make it back, sometimes I do not. I've never been disappointed when I did go back and shoot, but once again, it was a planned location, not a planned shot.</p>

<p>I do a little bit of everything. This past Friday I was heading out to a local state park to go hiking along the river. I've seen a Great Blue Heron along that streach everytime I had visited it, but I never had a tripod or anything longer then a 70-210/3.5 with me...so no decent pictures. I decided to head there this Friday since I figured it would still be in winter plumage (why the heck their winter plumage is some much nicer the summer/fall I wish I knew, darned inconvenient for me). This time I hauled my tripod, 400/5.6 and 70-210/2.8 with me to try to get some pictures of it. So all of that was planned, but I hiked out a couple of miles and no luck, but I ran in to a cliff by train tracks (The train tracks follow the river) that had several almost bonzai looking pine trees growing it, so I stopped and took several pictures of them. Then when I was almost back to my car the Heron landed right across the river from me...so out came my 400mm and tripod for a couple of pictures before it took offense to me being there and took off. I left the 400 on my camera as I walked back to my car and a whole flock of Turkey Vultures landed in a tree right in front of me...so I made a couple of quick snaps without setting up of one big male.<br>

I've yet to get the film developed, but I suspect I am going to be suprised but what worked and what didn't with my picture taking. I'd say 70% of what turns out really nice for me I knew it going in that it was going to work, 30% suprises me that I really like it and maybe 30% of what I thought was going to turn out really well doesn't.</p>

<p>Sure... I'll bite too...</p>

<p>I used to shoot almost everything opportunistically. I walked around, I observed, and when I saw something I liked, I photographed it. I now plan a lot more of my shots. I keep a notebook of ideas, in which I note what I want to photograph, what the meaning is to be of the photograph, what techniques I want to apply, and sometimes scouting shots. That being said, I always carry a camera with me, and the slim majority of what I shoot is unplanned. However, when I'm photographing such things, I'm still very deliberate in my technique and plan how I want the different elements of the photograph to interrelate. Only rarely do I shoot something without any preplanning at all -- only when it's a choice between shooting really fast or not getting a photo at all.</p>

<p>One other thought: A lot of what I've been shooting more recently is people. People are a bit like wildlife, as they do unpredictable things that defeat pre-planning. You can of course instruct them, but their willingness or ability to follow instructions is also unpredictable. (Besides that, I don't like posed photos, so I never instruct anyway.) </p>

<p>I won't bore everyone by paraphrasing your comments. It looks like we agree that good photographs are the result of both planning and gut reactions. </p>

<p>I think I derive more immediate gratification when a potential photograph smacks me in the face, and I have an "AHA experience." However, I suspect I get a broader sense of significance when I have planned a shot. Take a look at the posts on a thread dealing with means vs. end in the Philosophy of Photography forum.</p>