Online Ordering Hassles

I tried ordering a Canon 10-22mm online from Prestige Camera because it had a

low price, which it's website implies is because it sells grey market

equipment. I'm OK with that.

Since placing the order I've gotten several messages wanting to "confirm" my

order, which I suspect is just an attempt to sell me more, or different stuff.

Several calls went unanswered, and they don't call me at the number I left in

my message. I'm about ready to cancel the order, and wanted to see what advice

others might have. Have you dealt with this company? Am I buying trouble or

do I just have to subject myself to a sales pitch before getting my order?

Will the lens be of good quality or will I receive a knock-off?

Any help would be appreciated.

I see that the price is $556 at Prestige and it's listed as "in stock", it's currently $674 for the "imported" (grey) version of the same lens at B&H, a highly reputable dealer. For a bit more money, many other established dealers offer a better chance of actually getting what you ordered (all the accessories in the box, etc.). I have never dealt with Prestige, but a quick check at bizrate.com and other ratings services shows that their record is not great. By all means, cancel your order. Paul

<i>>>I tried ordering a Canon 10-22mm online from Prestige Camera because it had a low price,<<</i>

<p>

And you got what you paid for.

<p>

We get so MANY posts about people being lured by unbelievably low prices. It pays to search BEFORE buying, always!

<p>

The old adage applies: "if something looks too good to be true...etc..." So, be careful when being attracted to uniquely low prices.

<p>

Prices on *legit* camera items are not such that any dealer can offer a *substantially* lower price than others, unless:

<p>

1) it's a SCAM

<p>

2) they are selling stolen merchandise

<p>

3) they want to take a loss by selling below their costs

<p>

<p>

1 - is often the MOST likely scenario.

<p>

2 - is rare.

<p>

3 will NEVER happen (unless they are getting rid of OLD, out of production stock).

Forgot to mention: chance are that you will NOT receive the lens...not unless you agree to buy some sort of "cleaning kit" (like UV filter, hood, etc...) which will of course costs far more than it's worth thereby making the actual total price HIGHER than buying the lens at 'regular' prices.

That's how the scam works...

Since you likely found these scam artists using a (price) search engine, I'm surprised that you didn't think to try the "search photo.net" box in the top right corner of *every* photo.net page. It would have told you all that you need to know (and more).

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=site%3Aphoto.net&q=Prestige+Camera

Thanks everyone for you help. I'm embarrassed to say I fell for this scam. I have already confirmed that they haven't charged my account, and I've notified them to cancel the order.

I am usually more cautious than this, but admit to being mesmorized by the price and letting my greed get the better of me. I've always had good experiences with reputable dealers and forgot that there are so many that aren't.

Thanks for the wake up.

Keith, at this point I'd cancel the card and get it replaced with a new number and activate fraud watch. I know this sounds like an alarmist statement but, some of these camera scamers are not realy in the business of selling cameras. They use the camera scams to support thier real business which is selling your credit card number to other scammers. You'll be without the card for a day or two, a small price to pay for peice of mind. And I'm certain they will charge you're card at least for this lens order even though you called them to cancel it. Yes they can do all this, and no there are really no consecquences for them doing it, so be safe. These shop's have been operating with impunity for decades.