• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order, with (1) being most favoured:

1) Leica M2 / M4 for smoothness and classic mechanical simplicity

2) Leica M6 / Bessa R2 / RD-1s for onboard meters and digital capability

3) Canon F-1N for awesome build, great ergonomics and spotmeter capability

4) Nikon F2x / Nikon FM for certain bits of GREAT Nikon glass and PJ icon

5) Pentax ME Super (for shear lightweight compactness)

6) Olympus XA all those other times

My first camera, a 1968 SRT 101 with added hot shoe and modern bright screen. Wrapped with the leather half case the camera perfectly fits my hands with the controls falling naturally under my index finger. The viewfinder is 95% by 95% with about .87 magnification yet I see the entire frame wearing glasses. The meter display is similar to the SL and almost perfect. Used Rokkor-X lenses are fine performers priced under $30.00. I don't feel the need to over protect the camera for fear of a mark. It's a modest, unpretentious workhouse which does everything well and nothing great. Similar in concept to our first NEW car, a 1983 240 Volvo driven for 15 years and 250,000 miles.

First by a long shot is the Nikon F2A. It improved on the ergonomics of the F and the pin-indexing meter of the original F2 while still maintaining the reliability of a hockey puck. I never liked the electronics in the F3. I bought my first Leica because the F3 I had was so unreliable. I don't use Nikons anymore but the F2A remains my all time favorite.

Second is the original, manual focus Pentax 645. It handles like an oversized 35mm SLR, produces big negatives and has some of the best lenses I've ever used bar none. It doesn't hurt that it's solidly built despite having a plastic skin. I use it more than any other camera these days.

Third would be the Canon EOS 1n. Electronics done right, autofocus done right, ergonomics that seem natural for me, excellent lenses and a reputation for reliability nearly as good as the Nikon F2. I'll let you know about reliability after using it 25 years or so.

Leica M6 comes in fourth. For me it's not as natural to use as the Pentax or the Canon but it has great lenses and it's small and light and I can carry a couple of them all day long without pain in my arthritic joints.

Richard Jepsen wrote: "<I> a 1968 SRT 101</I>"

<P>

This reminds me of an incident where a friend carelessly left his SRT 101 (no lens) on the

ground while giving his attention elsewhere; when he remembered what he'd done with the

101, he turned to retrieve it only to watch in horror as a truck rolled over it. Picking the

camera up, he expected to find it unusable at best but it's only damage was a few scrapes on

the back from road gravel. Meter, shutter, film transport all worked perfectly and as far as

we could tell there was no mirror box distortion from the incident.