Your Alltime Favorite Camera

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bronica ETRSi 645 with 50mm, 75mm and 150mm PE lenses along with Vivitar 283s, AE II prism finder, grip. etc. I bought TTL flash but never used it because I was so comfortable setting fill with the 283. I shot all weddings with fill and I knew this system really well. Better than I ever mastered all the EOS bodies and lenses I have owned. It was a simple manual system for a simple mind.

If I had to use only one camera it would be the Rolly TLR( I don't even own one at the moment). I use the XA all the time, which would make it my favourite in usage. I love my OM-2s, they're so <i> easy</i>. But to a party I'll bring the M-3 because it's good in low light, and it breaks the ice. Then there's the 645AF-lots of resolution & a thoroughly modern (film) camera

what camera do I use all the time, and is therefore my favourite? Nikon 5700 it is a lot of fun and had lots of limitations but then so do I.

yelling at me from my shelf, Pentax Spotmatic, Nikon FM, Bessa R, Pentax PZ-1

Nice question to reflect on. My first camera, a Praktina with 50mm Tessar was wonderful

until the shutter gave out. My current inspiration, thanks to Doug Herr, is a Leicaflex SL,

and I love being with an SLR again, after using medium format and large format for years.

But, the camera I most regret trading in (for an Agfa 5x7 field camera) was the Rollei 35. I

had it in Nepal for 3 months; the meter went out the first day when it slid off a rock, but

the photos from that trip, estimating both distances and exposures, remain some of the

finest images I have yet made.

Perhaps it allowed me to use my mind and heart and really use the camera as the tool

rather than be distracted by the camera itself, I don't know. I still look at them on eBay...

If there's to be a single all-time favorite, out of 50+ years of shooting, it just has to be the Minolta CLE I bought new in 1982. I have and enjoy many other cameras, but this one just stands out. So much so I just bought a second one... :-)

I have a CLE, but it doesn't satisfy the OP, being discontinued. IMHO, it is the best RF 135 format camera ever made, reading exposure off the film real-time, are you kidding me, with the variance of reflection of different films, even the M7/8 doesn't do that. It is at least as "solid" as the CL wrt to reliability. Mine is broken, where should I get it repaired?

"I have a CLE... Mine is broken, where should I get it repaired?"

Mine's had a CLA at CameraTechs in Seattle. Stephen, I've been referred to this outfit for repair of older Minoltasa but have no personal experience with them and I don't know if the info is still current:

Terry's Camera Repair

9092 Talbert Avenue #2

Fountain Valley, CA 92708

714-964-7633

My favourite has to be my Contax 645. It just feels so sensuous in one's hands and yields phenomenal transparencies.

My other favourite would be my Contax I. Purely from the point that I have owned it so long (49 years) and the wonderful photographic memories it has recorded for me over those years.

A gift for my 14th birthday from my now deceased parents, it still sees regular service with Velvia 50.