Your Alltime Favorite Camera

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to see how few digital cameras are mentioned in peoples lists.

For me it's:

Minox AXs : perfect in-pocket manual camera

Leica M6 : best practical all rounder

Hassy 501 : image quality 80mm lens on 6x6 has just the right angle of view

Leica 'O' series : small body and great lens

Ricoh GR1s : travel and party compact.

Of the ones I have actually used since I started taking an active and growing interest in this hobby called photography from Feb. 2004 with my first digital camera (the Leica Digilux 2), it has to be the Canon 5D - for intuitive ergonomics, responsiveness, tactile feel of the body and its controls in my hands, flexibility of using a wide variety of lenses to suit a given situation, and image quality.

Like any DSLR user, sure I wish the 5D was smaller, lighter, and quieter like my current favorite shirt-pocket-cam Pana FX-30, but reality is such a bitch.

Have to give it to my 1955 Contaflex I. No meter, no instant return mirror, only 1/500 speed

and f/2.8 its max aperature. But no batteries, either and the sharpest, hardest, most

contrasty Zeiss Tessar lens I've had the pleasure of using. Or so it seems from the distance

of many years.

Real reason, though, is sentiment. It was my very first "good" camera, one I took my most

successful pictures with, one I became identified with by friends and subjects.

That's hard to beat.

i was in a bad financial spot about a year ago and ended up selling most of my cameras

and lenses. i had an n90s, an f3hp, 2 fm2's, a bunch of fast nikkor primes and an m6 with

a 35 summicron. i loved all of that stuff. but when i had to choose what to keep and what

to sell, it was an easy choice. i kept the m6. hands down the best camera i've ever owned.