Killer at my feeder

wearyo

Mike ,I shot(i hate saying that)this with a D200 apiture priority ,50-500 sigma lens at f6.5 at 500mm . It was taken at 5:35 in the evening sun had been down for 1/2 hour so I used the built in D200 flash. I only had 4 good frames out of 20 cause of slow shutter speed this one was at 1/60sec ,even with a tree for a rest , but as usual with these things there is no time to set things up right. but I'm happy with what I got.I'll probibly never see another one,(or it will turn into a pest I cant get rid of) Bob

"Killer" and "savage" probably aren't the most appropriate words to describe how the natural

world works. Or, if one is religiously inclined, they aren't the best words to describe the work

of God. Acts of predation are seldom seen, so you were privileged. The alternative is for the

owl (or its chicks during the breeding season) to die a slow death due to hunger, and when

the chickadees, juncos, song sparrows, and the like increase beyond the carrying capacity of

the land because of the lack of predators, they too will die of starvation because of lack of an

adequate food supply. We don't live in a fairy tale world.

It is great that you were able to capture an image of the bird. Last month I had a small hawk that was eating a smaller bird in my back yard. By the time I figured out what he was doing and went to get my camera...he was gone! I went out to the area and there was blood and feathers left in the snow. Good job and thanks for sharing.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...