What music do you like?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on my mood but a lot of '60s and '70s rock. Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Zepp, Pink Floyd.

Then again, it could be jazz. Brubeck, Dexter Gordon, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Thelonius Monk.

Not much into classical but I can listen to Mozart if the mood strikes.

From the last 48 hour: The Thermals, Hinkley, Brazilian Girls, Cat Power, Stars,

Antony And The Johnsons, She Wants Revenge, T. Rex, Yo La Tengo, The Hold Steady.

The Ronettes, Stars of the Lid, Winterpills, Coralie Clement, Francoise Hardy, Lali

Puna, Pharoh Sanders, Archie Shepp, Donald Byrd, Esbj�rn Svensson Trio, Great Lake

Swimmers, Ed Harcourt, Villeneuve, King Crimson.

Yeah, Kate Smith used to really bellow...I mean belt out a song, didn't she? :) Someone mentioned Massive Attack earlier. That's another great band. I have a fairly large darkroom where I can move around quite a bit. That's why I like to listen to a lot of techno- anything with an up tempo.

Mostly Baroque - Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Locatelli, Albinioni, and others. Also 19th-20th century Russian - Tsaichovsky, Rimsky-Korsakoff, Borodin, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, and others. Add in Chopin piano music. I like some popular music such as Simon and Garfunkel, Charlie Daniels Band and a few others. Johnny Cash is not back. I like the flat pickin' sound. :-)

The Meters, Dr. John, Ry Cooder, The new Monk and Trane release, Weather Report, Marcus Roberts, Randy Newman, Blossom Dearie, Frank Zappa, Charlie Haden, Bruce Hornsby, and various classical "standards".

<<< ... Leonard Cohen on to cheer things up ... >>> I heard that :)

I'm mostly a jazz listener. My records are weighted in favor of 60's and 70's Impulse and Atlantic recordings (and yes, they are actually records).

Several of the r & b and folk names above are also among the musicians I really like.

Quick anecdote: In late 1976 or early 77, I saw Etta James in a small place, actually a jazz place. She was dangerously overweight and visibly struggling with her health. She'd been in a long and I assume draining battle with a record company (don't recall which one). And she was already not a youngster.

She sang her butt off.

I stayed for a very late set. Part of me was worried that she was not long for this world. If you'd have seen her that night, you'd have understood my apprehension.

Had somebody said to me then: "Relax, you'll be able to see her in concert in 30 years," I'd have told that somebody he was losing it.

But I smiled when, in the "Washington Post" of just a week or so ago, there was Etta James' picture ... and an announcement of an upcoming date.

Lucinda Williams, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Bob Dylan, Townes van Zandt, Hank Williams, Loretta Lyn, Bruce Springsteen, Mayanne Faithful, Mary Black, Elvis Costello to name a few among many, and spanish/classical guitar, Sergovia and Bream to name two.