What music do you like?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got five original release Ramones LP's. Actually, I've got hundreds of various artists tucked away. When cd's came out the record shops were flooded with LP's. I've got 11 Pink Floyd originals, A Soucer Full of Secrets was the hardest to get, a few Zep, a few Moody Blues...many bands. Wonder what they're worth?

well, Eric, that depends. Just being an LP doesn't really count quite yet...maybe in anothe 20 or 30 years. But, those groups you mention and others, use to put out the first 5000 units with unique covers and such. Is your Atom Heart Mother, Pink floyd a bifold cover? It might be worth something. Do you have Dave Mason's, Alone Together on multi-colored vinyl? that's worth big bucks. Does your Rolling Stones, Her Santanic Majesty's Request have a 3-D cover insert of the picture? Does your CSN&Y Deja Vu have an actual photograph glued to the cover? Does your Jethro Tull Stand Up have little figures of the group that stand up when you open up the bifold cover? And of course, then there are the misprints (Beetles instead of Beatles), the early labels (ie....groups came out on a small label, were "discoverd" and signed to a big label and eventually there older albums were rereleased under that label). Promo's are worth more (actually stamped, stamped and serialized, just the covers, or both the covers and the actual album).

And don't diss the early CDs either. For a short period of time, when the US couldn't keep up with the demand for certain groups, the Japanese imports of same are now worth money. Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon as a Japanese import is worth big money.

And then there are the VERY odd. Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles as a set of 45's.......a friend of mine has it........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks Thomas! I haven't looked at them since the late 80's, all bundled up since I went back to my house and clean out my room once and for all. I can't remember much of the details except thatso many great LP's were ending up in used record stores during the first few years of cd's. Gold mine. Once, I could have bought a living room wall full of shelves and LP's, head to toe, from everything that was top 40 from mid 60's to mid 80's for a few hundred bucks at an estate sale. No where to put it but was able to get a few for $1 a piece of early brit punk/new wave.

Nels.....actually not the collector type. I just bought the stuff because that's what I liked....found out years later that they were worth extra money.

besides the normal collector's things to look for in the early brit punk/new wave are the EP (Extended Play) 12 inch vinyl. That period was extremely into that type of vinyl. Tones on Tail, Go! on red vinyl EP. OMD had some unique first print LP covers also.

Jerry Osborne probably puts out one of the best LP collector's guides there are. And by the way....all this is ONLY worth extra to colletors, and in playable condition. If it's scratched just chuck it.

"besides the normal collector's things to look for in the early brit punk/new wave are the EP (Extended Play) 12 inch vinyl. That period was extremely into that type of vinyl. Tones on Tail, Go! on red vinyl EP. OMD had some unique first print LP covers also."

I bought all that stuff fresh, Thomas. I remember opening that Tones Extended LP after reading about it in a month old NME. Spent all our money on LP's. All the "Punk and Disorderly"'s, hardcore, ska, Joy Division/New Order...tons of stuff and our west coast...Great times here 15-22 yrs old with $3 bottles of red....long live ruby red!

Bach, Beatles, The Ramones, Zamfir, Devo, Pink Floyd, Sally Owens "jack rabbit", Polka, Jake and Elwood, The Bats, The Offbeats, The Cure, Duke Ellington, Glen Miller, B52's, Seeing The Motels in a dive bar in Ventura, The girl from Kentwood, Aretha Franklin , (a preacher's daughter from MoTown)

Can't sleep so here's my iPod listing by artist:

<br>

Andrea Bocelli<br>

Audioslave<br>

Beck<br>

Ben Folds<br>

Bob Dylan<br>

Bruce Springsteen<br>

Daniel Powter<br>

David Gray<br>

Death Cab For Cutie<br>

Donna Summer<br>

Dynamite Hack<br>

Eminem<br>

Fall Out Boy<br>

Frank Sinatra<br>

Gorillaz<br>

Green Day<br>

Gwen Stefani<br>

Imogen Heap<br>

James Blunt<br>

Jamie Cullum<br>

Jason Mraz<br>

John Coltrane<br>

John Hiatt<br>

Johnny Cash<br>

Kent<br>

Ludwig van Beethoven<br>

Madonna<br>

Nickelback<br>

Nina Simone<br>

Nirvana<br>

R.E.M.<br>

Radiohead<br>

Red Hot Chilipeppers<br>

Seal<br>

Shakira<br>

System of a Down<br>

Tom Petty<br>

The White Stripes<br>

Willie Nelson<br>

Brings back memories! Having a few album covers in your portfolio really impressed people. Showing a little CD cover just couldn't possibly have the impact of the cover for a 12 inch record, and if it opened up to show a 12x24 inch shot inside? Now that was impressive.