Metol and Sodium Sulphite - Why did it turn black?

enrico__

So I get the chemicals to make up some two-bath. My Bath A is Metol

(6g) and Sodium Sulphite(80g). I mix up the Metol first in 100mls of

water. I then mix the Sodium Sulphite in about 300mls of water, and

add to the Metol. I add enough water to make 1 Litre. Everything

looks good until about 2 hrs later when I notice that the mix has

virtually turned very dark brown. It is now black! Why?

I hadnt processed any film with it.

At what temperature should the water be at when mixing the above

mentioned chemistry? Thats teh only thing I can think of affecting

it. (maybe too warm?).

I was using fresh de-mineralised water.

Thanks ~enrico

Enrico, you sure it is sulfite (SO3) not sulfate (SO4)? That could be one reason.

Second, sulfite goes bad over time and turns into sulfate. You can run a poor mans test of sulfite by adding a bit of acid to the sulfite. If you smell sulfur dioxide gas (SO2) coming off, then the sulfite is probably good, but if you smell no or little odor, the sulfite may be bad.

Third, I always add the sulfite to the water first rather than the metol. The sulfite scavenges the oxygen.

And lastly, a solution like that would be weakly alkaline but the goal in many 2 part developers is to have the part with developer slightly acidic. Shouldn't that be the case here?

Ron Mowrey

This is just a educated guess, but maybe you should have mixed the sodium sulphite first, as it removes the oxygen from the water which reacts with the metol.It seems when I used to mix up my own D72,that I had to mix the SS first. I am sure someone will know the correct answer.

Most of the developer formulas I've mixed say to mix the chemicals in the order given - except where metol and sulfite are involved. The metol is usually listed before the sulfite. but you are told to add a pinch of sulfite first - to minimise the oxidation of the metol - then add the metol, then the rest of the sulfite.

Regards,

Neil

Metol is difficult to dissolve in an alkaline solution, which is why it's usually recommended to dissolve the metol first (and a pinch of sulfite). But it doesn't really matter, if you can be bothered to stir for long enough or use a magnetic stirrer.

If the mix has turned black, it's oxidised. That again means there's not enough sulfite in it, and theonly way to do that is to use something else than sulfite. Your metol is fine, your sulfite is dead.

Enrico:

With respect to temperature, you should not have problems below 90F or 32C, however, I'd recommend room temperature. Completely dissolve the metol in 800ml water (you can add a pinch of sulfite, but it doesn't really matter), then dissolve the sulfite, and add water to 1L. The composition isn't that different from D-23, and should last a year in a sealed glass bottle.

The fact that the solution turned black suggests that you may have used something other than sulfite to make up the solution... sodium sulfide or sodium carbonate will lead to that result. So check your chemical's labels, and reply if you discover what led to the problem.

..well Day 3 in the Two Bath and once again the bastard Bath A has turned dark brown. I decided to dissolve some of the Sodium Sulphite first in 700mls of room temp (26 deg) water, dissolved, then I added the Metol, dissolved, then the remaining sulphite, dissolved and then the remaining water.

Im losing patience. Its always teh simple procedures that have to turn out so trivial.

Now What??

Metol won't dissolve in Sod. Sulfite solution, this was always covered years ago when we mixed our own chemicals. Because sulfite is an anti oxidant it is nice to have just a bit of it in the solution. However the available oxygen in the water will cause some odidation of the of the metol, so when I was in Med. Photo School in the mid 50's the printed instructions would say (for a liter or quart) start with a something over half the volume of water, add a pinch of sulfite (maybe a quarter of a teaspoon) and dissolve it. After that, dissolve the Metol. When fully dissolved add the remainder of the Sulfite and dissolve it. You should have no problem after that.

I have mixed hundreds of batches of D76, D23, D 25 etc. in small quantities. When I was GM of a pro motion picture lab, I mixed hundreds of of 100 gallon mixes of b/w and color chemicals with not problem.

I'm concerned with your situation. This is a really unusual problem that you have outlined. I'm having difficulty trying to understand what is going on.

Lynn

Jim is right!

Also, the first thing that the instructions always say is, Don't Use Distilled, Demineralized, or dionized water, it screws up the developer. The only such waters that I recommend are for wetting agent which often flocculates as well as making it easier to grow algae in tap water.

Metol should be a neutral colorless crystalline substance.

Lynn

• 18 years later...
On 12/9/2005 at 4:55 PM, profhlynnjones said:

Also, the first thing that the instructions always say is, Don't Use Distilled, Demineralized, or dionized water, it screws up the developer.

I wonder what instruction that is. Never heard about distilled water being forbidden for developer.